Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

4783518311_267332a970_z.jpg

Taken with the Nikon AF-S 18-105mm and a Jessops 360AFD Flashgun at an outdoor gig in Leicester City Centre. Since been used in a publication covering the event.

i had never seen one close up till yesterday, what a great camera it is.
some features from the d90/d300s , amazing in auto and its a nice balance and weight
have fun with it

Cheers Steve

....some features from the d90/d300s

Hi Steve, it apparently is based on the D90 and Nikon took all the bits that D90 users never used and replaced them with new features.

Martin

some features from the d90/d300s , amazing in auto and its a nice balance and weight
have fun with it

Cheers Steve

Yes, its kind of a 'lite' d90 with the same AF and sensor. Is missing a few bits, AF motor for one and the remote flash commander and obviously uses a menu based system instead of the command dial. But still takes great pics and there is a great selection of AF-S lenses now from Nikon and the independant manufacturers...and it also has some very useful in-camera retouching functions.

have fun with it

Cheers Steve

haha steve, you should of said, thats what I had in my bag on the rainy night in Manchester :shrug:

i was only asked on wednesday which camera to recomend for a budget . and saw it for the first time yesterday. i was plesently surprised. it was the range of features the camera has that really impressed me for the price.

please dont take that comment the wrong way. im just used to having my d300s now.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve, yeah i can see where your'e coming from if you like a certain camera or make of camera it is hard not to point other people in that direction.

I had a couple of Nikon's in the days of film when we used to photograph the dinosaurs...lol, and when I decided to upgrade from my SONY H50 I was split on the Nikon D5000 or Canon 550D, in the end I decided to go with the Nikon and when I said to the guy in the shop that the other camera I was thinking about was the 550D he just said no, no, no dont touch it. When I joined TP I did notice a lot of posts where people were complaing that their 550D's were not working properly and had lots of trouble with '99's'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I bought a D5000 yesterday :D Only got a bog standard SD card at home to try it with ATM but it seems to work well. Love the camera but there are so many options in the menus compared to the bridge camera I had.

I found a spare screen protector for my phone so I cut that to size and stuck it on as soon as it was out of the box. I just need to order some SDHC cards, a bag, spare battery and tripod.

I'm stuck for what bag I want to get, I'm not sure a backpack one would be ideal for me as on family days I usually already carry one for any stuff we have to take. I've had a look at this one but you can't fit the camera with lens attached, although it may be ideal for just keeping it safe at home. There is also this one but it only says it's for the D3000, will the D5000 fit as I thought they were very similar?

Has anyone used these for spare batteries? They seem a good price for a pair but maybe too good?

I don't want to spend too much on a tripod as I can't see myself using it that much to start with, maybe just for family photos, so can anyone recommend one? Something like this

Nice one Pezza as for menus etc go to post #65 and click on the link, I think this will be a great help.

Bags? I'm not into back packs, but I believe there are some that have two compartments, one for camera stuff, the other for sandwiches etc . . .

or . . . How about my solution but using a back pack, see here . . .

Post #25:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=248777

I use a man bag, you could use a back pack . . . :shrug: Cant do it if you want to carry the worlds biggest lens collection . . . I find one lens just dandy;)

Batteries, I've bought cheap 4 time, got caught once . . . :shrug: They say this is a reliable supplier:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

As for tripods, wait until you actually miss out because you have not got one . . . I've got two, they get used :thinking: cant remember the last time . . . a mono pod is my choice with a Kood BH-02BQ ball head, (fits a tripod as well) . . . see this thread and post #15:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=247903

Cheap tripods seem to wear out quick if used a lot?

I favour the mono pod 'walking type' as I and my partner have mobility problems, serves a double roll, walking staff and mono pod. You are young and therefore may not need this help?

CJS

7"]. There is also this one but it only says it's for the D3000, will the D5000 fit as I thought they were very similar?

I have the next step up - the Nova 190AW - well pleased

I would move to this bag as you will need extra room eventually

maybe a 55-200 VR or a 35 AF-S f1.8
certainly need room for "stuff" including filters etc

Bags? I'm not into back packs, but I believe there are some that have two compartments, one for camera stuff, the other for sandwiches etc . . .

or . . . How about my solution but using a back pack, see here . . .

Post #25:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=248777

I use a man bag, you could use a back pack . . . :shrug: Cant do it if you want to carry the worlds biggest lens collection . . . I find one lens just dandy;)

Batteries, I've bought cheap 4 time, got caught once . . . :shrug: They say this is a reliable supplier:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

As for tripods, wait until you actually miss out because you have not got one . . . I've got two, they get used :thinking: cant remember the last time . . . a mono pod is my choice with a Kood BH-02BQ ball head, (fits a tripod as well) . . . see this thread and post #15:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=247903

Cheap tripods seem to wear out quick if used a lot?

I favour the mono pod 'walking type' as I and my partner have mobility problems, serves a double roll, walking staff and mono pod. You are young and therefore may not need this help?

CJS

Thanks for all the info mate...

I know some backpacks have a compartment for things like sarnies but we fill a whole bag on a day trip so they're ruled out unfortunately.Man bag is a good idea if they suit you, but I don't fall into that category.

I have looked at monopods but my hands are fairly steady so I should be ok without one for the time being. The tripod will just be used indoors or the garden, I can't see me taking it out so should get minimal use.

I have the next step up - the Nova 190AW - well pleased

I would move to this bag as you will need extra room eventually

maybe a 55-200 VR or a 35 AF-S f1.8
certainly need room for "stuff" including filters etc

The bag I linked to says it will hold the camera, 2-3 lens and a flash unit so should be more than enough space for me. Plus the one you've suggested is nearly twice the price, which I can't afford straight after buying the camera.

Nice one Pezza as for menus etc go to post #65 and click on the link, I think this will be a great help.

Thanks, I did see that earlier on and bookmarked it, looks a great site for learning about the camera (y)

Something else I've forgotten to ask about is a lens hood for the 18-55, what one should I get?

Last edited:
The bag I linked to says it will hold the camera, 2-3 lens and a flash unit so should be more than enough space for me. Plus the one you've suggested is nearly twice the price, which I can't afford straight after buying the camera.

you will find that claims by the bag manufacturer are somewhat "optimistic"

the Nova 180 for sale is only £22

....Something else I've forgotten to ask about is a lens hood for the 18-55, what one should I get?

Go back to the shop where you bought your camera and enquire why your camera and lens didn't come with a lens hood, mine did.

Come to think of it mine didn't have a lens hood either. Bought from Jessops.

Martin,

I think you were lucky with the lens hood...according to Nikon UK the hood is an optional accessory....HB-45 is the one you'll need.

Neil

Martin,

I think you were lucky with the lens hood...according to Nikon UK the hood is an optional accessory....HB-45 is the one you'll need.

Neil

Cheers...the Nikon one seems expensive for what it is, are the compatiable ones ok like this?

Oh I didn't realise they were extra. Also keep the lens hood on at all times because it also helps to protect the lens against accidental scratches and knocking it against something or someone. Another way to protect your lens is to use a UV filter, then if the filter gets damaged then at least its saved your lens.

The lens hood looks ok, just make sure it fits your lens.

Pezza, I have just received a book I ordered from Amazon "David Busch's Nikon D5000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography" 375 pages and its an in depth guide to the D5000, should have cost £20.99 and they are doing it for £9.99.

Oh I didn't realise they were extra. Also keep the lens hood on at all times because it also helps to protect the lens against accidental scratches and knocking it against something or someone. Another way to protect your lens is to use a UV filter, then if the filter gets damaged then at least its saved your lens.

The lens hood looks ok, just make sure it fits your lens.

Cheers, I think I'd better get one asap then (y)

Pezza, I have just received a book I ordered from Amazon "David Busch's Nikon D5000 Guide to Digital SLR Photography" 375 pages and its an in depth guide to the D5000, should have cost £20.99 and they are doing it for £9.99.

I had seen the link for that but I'm not a book reader and TBH I can't see me using it. I've done that before, bought books, read the intro and then it goes on the shelf! I'm gonna use the guide on the Nikon site first see how I get on.

Pezza when you do get a UV filter tell them that you want it as a lens protection filter otherwise they will try and sell you something for megabucks. I have seen UV filters marked as protection filters at around £7.50 and other ones over £20 depending on size, so make sure they dont overcharge you.

Pezza when you do get a UV filter tell them that you want it as a lens protection filter otherwise they will try and sell you something for megabucks. I have seen UV filters marked as protection filters at around £7.50 and other ones over £20 depending on size, so make sure they dont overcharge you.

Mmm, not so sure about that statement . . . ? I think there might be an element of 'optical quality glass' in there to be considered?

There is certainly variation, I went through a period of extreme frustration with poor quality pictures, subtle but I was not happy. After much denial, I did tests, no filter, with filter 'a', with filter 'b' etc. I weeded out the dross that turned out to be cheap filters. Still dont know if it was the glass or the coating?

CJS

Mmm, not so sure about that statement . . . ?

If you do a search you can actually get UV protective lenses and they are about £7 to £8, but if you search for UV filters you will see them for sale from £15-£20 to over £40.

The ones I used in the old days of film never ever made any difference, thats why we used them.

you do not need a UV filter on modern sensors to stop UV

ok - so Protection..?....I have used the Marumi DHG protection filter [72mm on Sigma 17-70] and seen no image degradation at all
the ONLY reason to buy was the f2.8 glass is quite exposed

bought here..............."link"......(y)

another experienced member here uses Hoya HD Protectors ... more expensive but Quality
i got a used 52mm HD Protector from ffordes and it shows no IQ problems

some say the best IQ is no filter at all [ normal environments], just use a lens hood

Well John what can I say, I agree with you 100%.

I keep my lens hood's on my lenses all the time when in use then reverse them when in the bag. But I did hear of a professional togger who accidently dropped his favourite working lens while changing lenses and it landed lens down - sod's law again - but luckily enough he had a UV filter on and it smashed the filter but his lens was left unscathed.

Thanks for the link John.

I've seen this lens hood, which I think is a genuine Nikon one so for a few extra quid this seems the better option? Link

I'm going to leave the lens filter for now but if I do get one do they fit with the hood in place and I'm assuming you need to remove it everytime you fit the cap?

Been looking at backpacks and I think the ones with a seperate compartment will be too small so gonna get a shoulder one and a normal backpack to keep it in.

Pezza, yep, thats the one......

The filter can stay on the camera whilst the hood is used....no need to take the filter off each time. Personally speaking, I dont use a protector filter....either the lens cap or the hood is on the lens at all times so for me its not necessary. Also, you are placing an extra layer of glass between you and the subject and unless its very high quality multi-layered optical glass it will impact if even slightly on your final image. The UV filter is already on the cameras sensor so one of these is really not necessary.

Neil

Last edited:
Been looking at backpacks and I think the ones with a seperate compartment will be too small so gonna get a shoulder one and a normal backpack to keep it in.

Hay there 'Pezza', your going for the patented CJS method 'with a twist' (y) . . . If you go for a small KATA, they have a couple of 'belt loop webs' on the back, (see my original pic) so you could use it money belt style. The top flap is designed to open away from you, making access easy, another option . . . :shrug:

CJS

Hi all,

Battery grip arrived today, just charging the new batteries and going to try a few shots later if the light holds out. Fitted it to the camera and it looks and feels fine :)

Will post later if I get back in time (y)

Phil

Hi Phil, which batt grip did you go for and is it the one with the cable or infra red.

Pezza, yep, thats the one......

The filter can stay on the camera whilst the hood is used....no need to take the filter off each time. Personally speaking, I dont use a protector filter....either the lens cap or the hood is on the lens at all times so for me its not necessary. Also, you are placing an extra layer of glass between you and the subject and unless its very high quality multi-layered optical glass it will impact if even slightly on your final image. The UV filter is already on the cameras sensor so one of these is really not necessary.

Neil

Thanks Neil, the one on Amazon I've just realised would be coming from Germany so will have to wait a few days. I saw this one on ebay (from China) but it gives the impression it's a genuine Nikon one looking at the box or is it a cheaper one?

Hay there 'Pezza', your going for the patented CJS method 'with a twist' (y) . . . If you go for a small KATA, they have a couple of 'belt loop webs' on the back, (see my original pic) so you could use it money belt style. The top flap is designed to open away from you, making access easy, another option . . . :shrug:

CJS

Yep, when we go out as a family we do take quite abit and the missus has a bad back so can't carry anything. It makes sense to get the shoulder bag, just gotta decide which one. I need to be quick though as we're going to the zoo in a week or 2 so want it for then (plus a zoom lens!). As I was dithering the other day I missed the one that was for sale.

Phil, I noticed in your sig you have the Tamron 70-300 lens, what do you think of this and do you have any sample photos to show how far it zooms in? I've been reading mixed reviews and can't make my mind up about it, was going to get the Nikon 55-200.

Also thought I would add one of the first photos I've taken with this camera (with kit lens) and I'm very impressed with it so far. Was taken on aperture mode.

post-438-1281295716.jpg

this is the Hahnel D40 grip mounted on a D5000...fits ok

no vertical shutter release button though..............:shrug:
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

on tripod, for landscapes, either use self-timer or Nikon infra-red remote £13

battery grips on D5000

2 Nikon batteries are great but if you plan to carry the 6xAA battery holder as back-up, suggest you get "eneloop" - low discharge batteries

noticed a few threads recently about the locking "wheel" spinning on its thread
not D5000 but in general ----- so dont tighten too hard...?

Well first impressions are it a good grip, It's a little awkward finding all the buttons again as my hands are used to having a smaller camera to hold, I'm sure it will be ok after a few days of shooting though. The vertical shutter release will be a great bonus for me as i shoot lots in 'portrait' view. The cable at the side might annoy though, time will tell.

The tamron is an ok lens, shot lots of basketball with it and it was ok, bit slow to focus but the better I got, the more it disheartened me. As a starter lens, I would recommend it without doubt, I'll try to link up some pics from it for you (y)

thanks for the links on here re: lenses.. am always having to look up which ones will auto focus!

I got a good bargain on ebay for a Lowepro Nova 3 AW bag.. £8.99 new.. fits all my gear in, plus all the 'extras' - keys, purse, phone, sarnies etc etc ;)

Is it best to just leave the Active D-lighting on auto? Or off? Or something else? Does it ever interfere in a negative way with your photos?

Back