Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

As there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread I thought i would start one for anyone that wants to post D3300/3400/5500/5600 photos and discuss related material :)

I have the Fuji XT20 but still enjoy shooting with the D3300 so please feel free to post ,

I've just bought a D5300 and I'm a complete novice when using a dslr. I'm trying to take landscape photos but the focus is all in the foreground and I would like the whole picture to be sharp. I've been told f18 is the way to go but what about the ISO and shutter speed (is that the option on the left on the display screen). HELP. At the moment I'm taking better photos on my iPhone 7!

I've just bought a D5300 and I'm a complete novice when using a dslr. I'm trying to take landscape photos but the focus is all in the foreground and I would like the whole picture to be sharp. I've been told f18 is the way to go but what about the ISO and shutter speed (is that the option on the left on the display screen). HELP. At the moment I'm taking better photos on my iPhone 7!
Try focussing about a third of the way into the scene at f8 in aperture priority, use ISO 100 with a tripod and let the camera select the shutter speed.
A remote cable release will help avoid any movement from pressing the shutter.

Try focussing about a third of the way into the scene at f8 in aperture priority, use ISO 100 with a tripod and let the camera select the shutter speed.
A remote cable release will help avoid any movement from pressing the shutter.

Thank you. Could I please ask another question. On my friends camera when you go to take a photo, you press and the camera focuses and then you take the pic fully pressing the button. On my D5300 it doesn't seem to have a focus point. It has a grid and a square in the middle but I think this is just to select the middle of the photo. I can't seem to find the focus point. Sorry for such basic questions.

Thank you. Could I please ask another question. On my friends camera when you go to take a photo, you press and the camera focuses and then you take the pic fully pressing the button. On my D5300 it doesn't seem to have a focus point. It has a grid and a square in the middle but I think this is just to select the middle of the photo. I can't seem to find the focus point. Sorry for such basic questions.
Also, if you press the directions on the selection wheel it will move the focus point around the little diagram of the focus area on the shooting settings screen in the bottom left under the shutter speed.

I have a D5500 and honestly, its a great camera ! I bought this over anything in the D3*** range because the D5*** range had more to offer despite also being the more of an entry level range but the D7*** seemed to out of my budget. I also don't plan on getting another camera as I am hobbyist and I also feel as though this is a remarkable tool and I'd go as far as saying if any bad image comes out the camera, it's probably my fault for not doing a good enough job !

Jessops have a deal on the D5300 at the moment - lots of free stuff thrown in. However, it's stuff I don't need - Bag/spare battery/Manfrotto Pixi etc!

On the D5300 front it's cheapest from HDEW, Black Friday or not ...................

Tempted by this - if only someone would buy the extras - allegedly worth £130.00 ;)

Attachments

• Extras.jpg
    Extras.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 24
My D5300 makes the perfect image in jpeg

Some seem to think they can't be edited because they're already formatted but they respond well to sharpening, curves and levels tweaks in PP if required. Raw is good for landscapes with OTT Old Testament skies. ;)

My D5300 makes the perfect image in jpeg

Some seem to think they can't be edited because they're already formatted but they respond well to sharpening, curves and levels tweaks in PP if required. Raw is good for landscapes with OTT Old Testament skies. ;)
I do tweak my Canon Compact JPEGS as it does not do RAW. I very rarely tweak my D3300 JPEGS as I have so many RAW files to pick from, so if a JPEG is not too good, I usually bin it. :)

Could a D5300 owner confirm that when using single point AF (through viewfinder) the focus point does not glow red at all times when focus is achieved - only in low light conditions?

Thanks,
AL

It is weird - Nikon Support say:

If there is a strong light source at the af point, it will not light up and the beep will alert you to the focus lock.

Be interested to hear from other D5300 owners on this.

I've sold my D5300 and have some odds and ends in the Nikon Classifieds - battery, remote, etc.

Edit: Sale of D5300 cancelled, so items in classifieds no longer available.

Last edited:
A little, but the eyes are still a little soft. I have great difficulty getting wildlife in focus, so I can't say too much. :)

Yeah - taken in bit of a rush through a window. I was surprised he stayed long enough for me to get the camera :)

Thread revival! Any of you D5000 owners bought an aftermarket battery that you can recommend? My recent purchase came with the original battery but I always like to have a backup. Plenty on Ebay and Amazon but don't want an explosive one! :0

Thread revival! Any of you D5000 owners bought an aftermarket battery that you can recommend? My recent purchase came with the original battery but I always like to have a backup. Plenty on Ebay and Amazon but don't want an explosive one! :0
Many here have used ExPro in various cameras, no bad reports :)

Back