1. Al1944

Al1944

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hope I don't sound rude, but are you sure you have fitted it correctly? Not a lover of neck straps personally - I prefer a wrist strap.

AL

2. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My OEM strap is still in the box.

I bought a Optech strap but wish I'd got a Black Rapid Sport.

I use the Optech atm attached to the camera vie one on the strap mounts. I am just changing over to the Manfrotto 200PL QS plate and will use Back rapid Screws so I can attach to them and also support a heavy lens via a 200pl screw on the second strap. Hopefully This will be useable.

3. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes

As far as I can see it can only attach one way. Each side of the strap goes through the tabs on either side of the camera, then through the little plastic buckles (that aren't really buckles at all).

Might be worth looking at a wrist or other strap.

4. Al1944

Al1944

Edit My Images:
    No
    But as simple as it sounds there is a particular way that the straps go through the buckles.

5. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for that. I know the problem.

I only have the plastic sleeves, I'm missing the buckles :eek:

6. Al1944

Al1944

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes, the buckles do help ;)

7. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Discovered something that really annoying me now especially when using a WA lens.

On the D5100 you can't lock the focus.

Pretty sure that my old D50 I could press AE/AF once to lock then press it again to unlock. On the D5100 this isn't an option. Instead you need press and hold AE/AF which is a massive pain.

Of course there is the option of setting AE/AF to focus rather than half pressing the shutter release, but doesn't seem intuitive.

8. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I agree this is a bit annoying. You can set the ae button to af (last option on f2). This works by only AFing when tne AE/AF button is pressed. I'm sure there is another way to lock af though

9. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    No luck. This would appear your only option. You could add it to your custom menu for quick access. Other alternatives are using some remotes that have an option not to focus first.

10. rodd1000

rodd1000

Name:
    Karl
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Up to now i've been autofocusing as normal then switching to manual focus before adding my 9stop filter. This does stop the camera attempting to refocus but it's a ball ache process. Is it possible to program the AE/AF button to toggle AF/Manual instead?

11. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not that I've seen.

With my 35mm 1.8 I can just switch to manual focus, but my latest Sigma doesn't have a MF switch.

If it wasn't for that fact that this is the smallest body with flip screen (I find it really handy),and excellent sensor (same as the D7000) I'd get rid of it, as I actually preferred the old D50 as a camera.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  12. Brian_of_Bozeat

Brian_of_Bozeat Jeff

Name:
    Brian (not Jeff)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can set up back button focus, that way it only focusses when you press the af/ae button. So you would focus without the filter and then just press the shutter release after fitting your filter.

Peter69 likes this.
  13. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Here's another thing. How do you get the grid lines to show in live view?

Pressing the i button just takes me back to the normal read out.

14. Al1944

Al1944

Edit My Images:
    No
    Do as you are told and press the info button not the i button ;) Top of camera.

15. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Haha yes. I thought the i button was the info button. Works fine.

16. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
  17. scott199

scott199

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been using a sandisk ultra class10

30mb/s and never found any problems others may be able to give you a better answer, but it keeps up no problem

18. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Same as me but I have found a few occasions when it struggled. the new cards offer 90mbs (I think real world is slower as shown in chart I posted

19. garryknight

garryknight

Name:
    Garry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been using the same 8GB Transcend Class 10 card since I bought the D5100 new and haven't ever had a problem with it. And that goes for video as well as photos.

20. c-m

c-m

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Class 10 is a bit of a catch all for everything over 10mbs up to U1 so it's worth checking what the actual sustained speeds of the card are.

I rarely fill and 8gb card before uploading the images so I'm thinking of carrying multiple smaller cards instead.

21. Peter69

Peter69

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Are we still watching this thread?

I'm just wondering what sustained frame rates you guys can achieve?

I get 4fps for 9 shots then about 5 at 1.5 fps then just under 1/s
    This is on a Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s) 14 bit raw.

22. The Great Badger

The Great Badger

Name:
    Adam
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Ooooooh, just got my replacement D5100 after months without, can't wait to get out and about!

Peter69 likes this.
  23. lightshipman

lightshipman

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    How do you get grid lines through the view finder?

24. Snapsh0t

Snapsh0t

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can't get the grid in the viewfinder, a backward step compared with the D5000 where you could.

25. lightshipman

lightshipman

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for that, I had a few looks through the manual and also the menus in the camera at different times, I also use a Coolpix S9700 and that has them, handy sometimes. I agree a backward step, the D3100 I owned previously had them.

26. anibap

anibap

Name:
    Anirban
    Edit My Images:
    No
    SsSsSsSsSnake and garryknight like this.
  27. madmardle

madmardle

Name:
    Ken
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    hi d5100 owners, I've decided that this camera is the best option for my grandson who is doing a video course at college, (he also wants to take stills) what lens would you recommend for this type of work? and although I know there is a separate thread for values, how much should I expect to pay for a good low shutter count body, thanks in advance.

28. garryknight

garryknight

Name:
    Garry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The 18-55mm kit lens is good enough for video work, IMO. Would give him a bit of reach without compromising on quality. No idea of the body cost these days, though, sorry. I think you probably wouldn't have to pay much more for body + kit lens, but I'm guessing.

29. madmardle

madmardle

Name:
    Ken
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    OK, thanks for answering the question re. the lens Garry, that makes the search easier, I'll ask about the value on the appropriate thread, Cheers, Ken

30. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    After holding a sony a6000 yesterday, I have come to the realisation that my hands are just too big. While I was there I had checked out how comfortable the d5300 was too, and it was a perfect fit for my hands, so I looked into it. It's definitely the camera I want to get after I have recovered from festival expenses.
    As it doesn't have an AF motor, I wanted to ask what zoom lenses that go upto 300mm or above have AF motors. Prefer not to spend much more the £150 and the cheaper the better to begin with as long as they have the AF motor and stabilisation.

SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.
  31. ukaskew

ukaskew

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Picked up a D5500 to compliment my D600. Took it to Bergen at the weekend with the 18-55 kit lens as I had my 2 year old with me and didn't want to carry heavy kit about. Hugely impressed with it, Live View AF has really come along and it was a joy to use. Haven't used a kit lens for about 12 years but again very pleased with how it went...

[​IMG]Bergen by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

[​IMG]Bergen by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

32. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    the 200-500 be nice :)
    otherwise
    the 55-300
    70-300
    55-200

33. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    yes it works on the 5300 and the 5500 ,update your firmware to the latest and no probs

Orangecroc likes this.
  34. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Cool, it says that the d5300 is compatible with the latest firmware in a few places.

35. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes it def is compatable

36. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Now got myself a D5200 for an absolute bargain good as new with 18-55 kit and 50mm 1.8g lens.
    Really appreciate the level of control for such a good value camera.
    Getting a 70-300mm today, think I got one that doesn't have compatible AF though, can't complain as it was only £60 on MPB.

37. The_kid1433

The_kid1433

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Decent. Would love a 300mm lens although no auto focus would be a deal breaker

38. nick16

nick16

Edit My Images:
    No
    I have a d5500. Just getting into photography and looking to buy myself a standalone copy of lightroom soon so i can enhance the photos i have.

I would post a couple up on here for others to have a play with, but im fairly sure they are shot in JPEG and not RAW which doesnt help!

39. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What do you take photographs of mostly?

40. Sweetpea1981

Sweetpea1981

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi I'm new here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I need some lens advice for my Nikon D5500. I'm starting to do weddings and did my last one with 2 D5500, a Nikon 35mm (my favourite lens which I tend to probably over use because it's so sharp and great in low light) and my Sigma 18-200 (which is not so great in low light, soft round the edges and causes really noticeable barrelling in the photos). I'm looking to get a 70-200mm lens to use when I don't need something so wide angle. Which lens is best? I know the d5500 is a cropped sensor, so should I factor that in when looking at lenses and go for a different lens that will offer the equivalent of 70-200? I want something that's going to be sharp, good in low light, fast (I missed some shots because my 18-200 was so slow focusing) and has a decent zoom. Thanks in advance!

biker, jonbeeza and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.