Nikon D60

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Am looking at buying my first DSLR camera. Like the sound of this Nikon D60, but was wondering whether it was better to buy the body itself and spend more on a lens or go for a more expensive body and stay with the basic lens it comes with. I can only really afford one lens, so ideally an all-rounder, specific interests in wildlife photography, landscapes.

If I buy a long range lens, eg. 200mm/300mm, does that mean it will affect close up shots or portraits so they aren't as clear? Would it be better to buy a lens for long range and one for portraits/close ups.

Many Thanks

you're really talking two different ranges, landscape/wide/short and wildlife/narrow/long

the 18-200 is probably your best bet as it's a very decent all rounder but don't expect exceptionally sharp results from it.

however as it's your first dslr you won't know any better so that's probably for the best otherwise you'll be on the upgrade path straight away :)

at the end of the day it depends which kit lens you're getting i suppose and what your budget is, more info and you'll get better advice :)

alex is talking sense here but i would go further & say that it is almost impossible to cover landscape & wildlife with one lens - my suggestion would be to buy the D60 with the kit lens which will cover 18-55mm & buy a 70-300mm zoom as 300mm is the minimum you need for wildlife (presume we're talking birds in the garden or ducks on the pond here? - without confusing the issue too much worth bearing in mind that the D60 has no motor built into it to drive lenses so you have to buy add on lenses which have their own motor built in (this makes your choices a bit more limited & can add to the cost) - lenses which don't have their own moter will still work but will not autofocus
HTH
Paul

I bought a D60 with the 18-55mm VR kit lens from Jessops as it had £20 off, though Dixons was cheaper online but was out of stock and I'm impatient!

I'm also waiting on a Nikkor 55-200mm VR which will give me extra range. So far an excellent camera and very good value for money IMHO.

I'd recommend having a look in the classifieds here as well as there are quite a few upgrade junkies selling very well looked after kit!

A

For a D60, and on a budget I'd be looking at a used 18-70 DX (£100-£120), and used 55-200 VR (£120-£140) or a used 70-300 VR (£300-£330)

The 18-70 DX and 70-300 VR work really well on the D60.

The 18-70 DX + D60 is superb for landscapes.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
I've had a look at some lenses and found that the ones with the motor in the lenses seem to be more expensive. I was wondering for a beginner is auto-focus a must have, particulary with a 70-300mm lens.

If so, perhaps the Canon EOS 1000D would be better as I understand it is compatible with Af and Af-s lenses

Louise

Back