Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Those sticky-pads seem to have very mixed reviews!
If there is a small oil spot it will smudge & make it worse.

New Service advisory from Nikon released today

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60009

If the problem is not fixed after a few attempst of repair, Nikon will offer the customer a new D600 or Equivalent Camera (which is a D610)

While my D600 is still not affected that much (have a few spots that hasn't bothered me yet) , it is good news for D600 users who have been facing serious dust / debris problems.

Finally Nikon doing the right thing.

Reactions: ST4
Good to finally see Nikon do what they should have done from the outset.
Personally, still concerned, as the attempt to repair, could mean anything between 2 and 200!

Chipotle who refunded you?

I got a refund from Jessops. They were very helpful. I got a 610 from them with a £120 cash back from Nikon. So far so good with the 610. As others have said if it wasn't for the dust/oil the 600 would have been great.

Just finished a 3hr shoot using the D610 for the first time exclusively (rather than my trusty D3s's), still baffles me why so many have a downer on this camera. You very quickly get used to the AF speed and closely clustered focus points, the colour depth, DR and general IQ is incredible, especially considering the cost of the camera in comparison to other FF bodies.

I didn't think that Nikon NPS UK recognised the D600/610 a a pro body, just seen on Nikon Rumors that NPS USA do.....

Last edited:
I registered my D600 as a pro body on Nikon NPS UK. With the 24-120 f4 it was enough to be accepted as a member and have got my NPS card.

I registered my D600 as a pro body on Nikon NPS UK. With the 24-120 f4 it was enough to be accepted as a member and have got my NPS card.

You were lucky, from NPS web site. It also doesn't show the D600 as a recognised Pro body.

Photographers should preferably own at least six pieces of professional Nikon equipment, two of which should be camera bodies.

http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/NPSApplication/productlist.aspx

You would qualify for NPU though.

https://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pro/Pro_NPU.page

Great set Steve, the last two I really like.

This seems to be a forgotten thread. I hope most owners have sorted the dust issues and taking great pictures with this gem of a camera. Please post to share exzperiences.
I am not affected by dust yet, simply outstanding camera taking great pictures.

Mods: Could you please merge this thread with the D610 thread?

Here's a few I took recently while testing a cheap £15 umbrella softbox from ebay with SB700 and the Nikon 28-105 AF D lens

DSC_4752A by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

DSC_4748A by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

DSC_4751A by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

Collage by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

I have just had an ERR message on my D600 - should I be worried. I took the battery out changed the card and I still go the ERR and the camera would not function

I then pressed the shutter (with different card in) almost absent minded while trying to look online for the cause of the problem and the shutter fired and its now working fine even with the original card ???

I use this as my main wedding camera so I NEED it to work... its under warranty should I be sending it off or is this a common little hick-up and nothing to worry about :thinking:

HI guys. I'm considering investing in a D600 (used) or new D610, too either complement or replace fully my D800. Whilst the D800 is a superb optical machine, apart from a few dedicated landscape missions, I very rarely get the use out of all those mega pixels. I know the D600(610) is smaller, lighter, uses the same battery as the 800, but do have a few questions please. For those that may have switched or run the dual camera system, could you give me your thoughts on the following please ?

1. Not having a dedicated 100% zoom function. I used this all the time on my D800 (and on my now sold D700 and D3s), and whilst it may seem minor, does this lack of a feature generate any real frustration or do you just get used to it ?

2. The well publicised dust issue. I'm sure it's not quite as bad as you read on the internet, but obviously bad enough for Nikon to do a U turn on this. So the question is, does this affect the majority of D600's or a relatively small percentage ? Is there a point where the dust (oil splatter) just ceases ? Are the newer D610's completely free of this ? Obviously getting dust on a sensor is part and parcel of owning a DSLR and changing lenses, but is it much more than say I would have had with the D3s and D800 for instance ?

3. There's been a lot of talk about the AF system, so 2 questions really. Is the AF array coverage really that much smaller and really noticeable from the 51 point AF system in it's bigger brothers, and how good (or bad) is the system when the light starts to fade. Does it hunt quite badly or miss focus completely ?

4. Although the eyepiece is different from the pro models (square not round), I am lead to believe that the actual view and magnification is the same as the pro models. Is that correct ?

5. Are there any other major differences from the D800 (other than MP, file size and pro build and button layout) that I might miss ?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance.

HI guys. I'm considering investing in a D600 (used) or new D610, too either complement or replace fully my D800. Whilst the D800 is a superb optical machine, apart from a few dedicated landscape missions, I very rarely get the use out of all those mega pixels. I know the D600(610) is smaller, lighter, uses the same battery as the 800, but do have a few questions please. For those that may have switched or run the dual camera system, could you give me your thoughts on the following please ?

1. Not having a dedicated 100% zoom function. I used this all the time on my D800 (and on my now sold D700 and D3s), and whilst it may seem minor, does this lack of a feature generate any real frustration or do you just get used to it ?

2. The well publicised dust issue. I'm sure it's not quite as bad as you read on the internet, but obviously bad enough for Nikon to do a U turn on this. So the question is, does this affect the majority of D600's or a relatively small percentage ? Is there a point where the dust (oil splatter) just ceases ? Are the newer D610's completely free of this ? Obviously getting dust on a sensor is part and parcel of owning a DSLR and changing lenses, but is it much more than say I would have had with the D3s and D800 for instance ?

3. There's been a lot of talk about the AF system, so 2 questions really. Is the AF array coverage really that much smaller and really noticeable from the 51 point AF system in it's bigger brothers, and how good (or bad) is the system when the light starts to fade. Does it hunt quite badly or miss focus completely ?

4. Although the eyepiece is different from the pro models (square not round), I am lead to believe that the actual view and magnification is the same as the pro models. Is that correct ?

5. Are there any other major differences from the D800 (other than MP, file size and pro build and button layout) that I might miss ?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance.
I'll try and answer some of your questions, but I've only had occasional use of a D800.
1) Minor niggle sometimes when I want to quickly check sharpness, but rare.
2) D610 is free of the issue (will still get dust as any DSLR will, but normal dust!) - the D600 seem to have a high percentage with the issue. The issue isn't dust, it is lubricant and it is a royal pita to clean - Nikon will replace the shutter mechanism foc whether in or out of warranty so no biggie other than the inconvenience of being without the camera.
3) Depends how you use the focus system, if you frame and re-compose then no issues if you are used to using the outer most points on your D800 then you will notice it! Only time I have had issues getting focus is in very low contrast scenes, other than that it is fine.
4) Yep 100% coverage but a different eypoint of 21mm to the D800 (17mm on the D800) - I prefer the D600/D610 - it doesn't have an inbuilt cover though.
5) err sorry but that is one only you can answer ;)

I have both D800 and D610. Both are great.

It's fine, its a couple of button clicks.

It dusts way more than my D800. I can clean it but its annoying.

Its not nearly as good or as accurate in low light.

Yep.

5. I just prefer my D800. Its nicer to use, to hold, better made, the files arent that much bigger. It's better but its like saying a 330i is better than a 325i, theres not much in it

read this

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/nikon-d800-vs-nikon-d610-tested-rannoch-moor/

Here's a series of shots of a Bateleur Eagle demonstrating focus tracking, light was decent enough.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/sets/72157644640544477/

Personally I found the D700 AF focus points not really wide enough so had to recompose a lot of the time anyway, I don't really notice much difference with the D610.

The one thing I do most definitely miss is the AF mode selection switch but that's not on the D800 either...

Have to send D600 back, to Nikon again, to have the sensor cleaned :mad:
Hopefully this time around, they'll be able to sort it quickly, including actually cleaning the sensor this time (which they didn't last time when fitting a new shutter!)

Love the camera, hate the hassle.................. maybe that should be the D600 tag :D

i think the d610 still leaves very slight oil spots in the top left corner - mine had one spot big enough to see at f22 when shooting a plain white wall and the speck was big enough to see with the naked eye on the sensor with mirror up so i moved it with the corner of a microfibre cloth - i can now only see a few spots if i shoot a white wall at f22 and then do auto levels to accentuate the spots. i might get round to a proper clean with eclipse and pec pad at some time but have never noticed any spots on actual pictures so no great hurry to do a clean

Apologies if this has been discussed previously on this thread but was wondering if anyone has had the shutter replacement done under the D600 recall and if you got any paperwork back to say that it had been done? Reason is I just got mine back, but no paperwork. (a) I would just like to know for sure that it has been done, and (b) if/when i wish to trade it, it would be a useful document!

Apologies if this has been discussed previously on this thread but was wondering if anyone has had the shutter replacement done under the D600 recall and if you got any paperwork back to say that it had been done? Reason is I just got mine back, but no paperwork. (a) I would just like to know for sure that it has been done, and (b) if/when i wish to trade it, it would be a useful document!

Don't have the documentation to hand, but if I remember correctly, it did mention shutter replacement and the use of quite a few bits of double-sided tape!

Been using the D610 as a backup for my D4. Done two weddings with it. While the AF can struggle a bit in challenging light (I am used to a D4, mind) the image quality is superb. With a few tweaks (better AF, assignable REC button, centre button zoom, LV exposure preview in photo mode) it would be a truly great camera.

10363451_10152155894266821_1867554003866532881_o.jpg

Awesome shot Deci. Great to see the D610 and D600 thread merged.

I am loving the D600. Here's one I took in bad light from a moving boat in Hallstatt with the 28-105 AFD

DSC_3698B by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

Awesome shot Deci. Great to see the D610 and D600 thread merged.

I am loving the D600. Here's one I took in bad light from a moving boat in Hallstatt with the 28-105 AFD

DSC_3698B by Anirban.acharya, on Flickr

Now that is a beautiful image, The scale of the mountains against the buildings.

Mine has had it's first professional clean. I got it back...

Took this

_DSC2266 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

In PP found NO dust spots. Went to France, maybe fired 300 clicks and there is an oil spot. DIY cleaned it when got back but took no cleaning materials so had to composed remembering where the oil spot was.

Yes it renders tones and colours well, the sensor is great

_DSC2587 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Skin tones are good too

_DSC2430 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

But this sensor dust thing is doing my head in. My D800 doesn't dust up nearly as bad with just one spot I've found in over 3000 clicks, this one has about twenty dust spots and I've got the oil one off.

Anyone using the D610 as well as (or instead of) a D700?

D700 is my main camera and like it - a lot!! I know that in time I will need to replace and what to get (maybe get a 610 to replace D300 as 2nd body?). D800 is a lot of money and no need for the large MP.

Would like to know how people find the AF between the D700 and D610. Tend not to focus and recompose.
Do you find it too small / not as robust compared to D700
I know the D800 can switch between FF and DX, can the D610?
Any plus or minus points between d700 and d610?

Being an owner of a d700, d610, d4 and d800, I can say without bias that the d610 is the best d700 replacement. AF is fine for me as I focus-recompose, but if you used all points I imagine it would irk you a bit. Its as accurate as the d700 in low light but the d4 and d800 perform better. Two card slots is a big advantage over the d700.

Build quality is as good as d700 although i prefer the body balance of the d700 . Image quality is miles better and on par with the d800 and d4 up to ISO1600 (to my eyes). It can switch between dx and fx, yes.

Only negatives for me are lack of centre button zoom, exposure preview in LV mode, assignable REC button and of course, the lack of the high end AF system. For me, it bests the d700 in practically every way - although as a d700 fan i would've loved a 16mp d800 over anything in the current range.

Based on the 700 or so shots I've had so far on the D610 I would say it's a stop better that the D700 and has all the extra detail from the extra MP. Also, when boosting shadows or exposure to extreme levels there is much less noise and no banding such as you got with the D700 (not that I ever complained with the D700 - you need to boost a dark image 4 stops to see that banding).

The only things I miss are the AF mode and area select switches on the D700, other than that I am super happy with the switch.

Last edited:
Wide angle lens suggestion needed.

I currently use a 28-105 AF D lens which is great, but some times I wish it was wider. I was wondering if you guys can recommend me a wide angle lens for the D600 based on your experience.

My choices are

1. Nikon 18-35mm F3.5-4.5 G
2. Nikon 24-85 VR
3. Nikon 24mm 2.8 AFD

The 16-35 F4 is above my budget at this point.

Cheers

Ani

Back