Nikon d610-d800

Name
john
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of changing from a d610 to a d800 and was wondering if anyone has owned both cameras as i know a lot of wedding photographers have used a d610 as a second camera. I shoot a bit of everything and i know the one drawback is the file sizes on the d800, is the image quality and low light quality much better than on the nikon d610

I've got a d600 and a d810, so fairly representative of the two you mention. My d600 never gets used anymore as I find the d810 so much better.

They both produce fantastic images, IQ and dynamic range on both are supurb. So good that they are the among best sensors on DXO.

The reason I prefer the d810 so much isn't due to better IQ (it's sharper but not enough to warrant an upgrade), but it's build quality and ergonomics. It's a pro build camera, whereas the D600 is very much a consumer built camera.

The file sizes are massive on the 800/810, a raw file opened as a TIFF in Photoshop is 206mb!

However this does allow a lot of cropping if that's your thing.

I wouldn't say the 800/810 is that much better in low light, however the autofocus system is night and day better.

If IQ is the only reason for your upgrade, I wouldn't bother.

Bare in mind that the D810 AF system is a lot better than the D800 so not really comparable in that sense.

I had a D600 (2x actually) which suffered from the oil spot issues and I decided to upgrade to the D800, its AF was night and day better than whats in the D600/D610 and way better in low light.

IQ wise I don't actually think theres much in it between the D600 and D800 certainly with comparable lenses, albeit the D800 with the 36mp sensor can produce larger images which makes a difference if printing large, I can't say that from an IQ perspective I've noticed any real difference between the D600/D800 in low light.

Thanks for the replys still not sure what to do I would definitely upgrade to the 800 if it wasn't for the file size

Thanks for the replys still not sure what to do I would definitely upgrade to the 800 if it wasn't for the file size

In that case, stick with what you have. If you need more MP then you have to deal with the file size. Why do you think need more MP?

Last edited:
Back