Nikon D7100

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Anyone still have (or had) the Nikon D7100 and happy with it? The price is around 500 now which is a nice price for me. I mostly do outdoor portrait stuff. Interested to know your thoughts on it.

if you don't have a camera just now , i would wait and buy a full frame instead look out for a d700 with low shutter count

I have a 7100 and a 7000 and I absolutely love the 7100. I wouldn't upgrade to the 7200, my next move will be to full frame such as a 750 or 810.

Just to balance out all the people who are going to sing its praises and say nothing negative at all.

I don't like where the ISO button is.

I have owned a d90 and d7000 with the ISO button in the same place and I hated it.

I also prefer the all X type AF point systems on the canons ever if there are much less AF points.

I don't like the DPAD either, prefer joystick.

I much prefer the d300 / d300s / d700.

Apart from that image quality is amazing, JPEG`s straight out of the camera look professionally edited to me.

I owned a very similar sensor in the d5500 and I never even bothered with RAW or editing anymore, there was no need in my opinion.

As far as i can remember the main advantages the D7200 has over the D7100 is a larger buffer and a few more of the most sensitive focus points spread around,cant think this would benefit your intended use,i wil agree though you could give thought to a low mileage D700.

Jamie, what camera are you currently using? Looking at some of your portraits I think a full frame camera would suit you, likely a used D700.

Getting back to your question, I use a D7100, have for some time now. I never regret buying it, it was the best I could budget for at the time. Now I need better low noise performance and often a larger buffer and faster than 6 fps. Looking at the D500 or D7500 if staying with the crop sensor. I never make impulsive decisions.

Got a 7100, brilliant little camera as I'm sure is the 7200. Prefer it in many ways to my D800, especially the weight saving.

a semi retired professional photog I know uses a D7100 99% of the time and he only shoots jpeg med ,does the job.he has higher end cameras but rarely used nowadays.

Back