Nikon D7200 or D7500

Which Camera to Buy ?

• Total voters
Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,
Long time browser and just looking for some advice please if anyone can help me,
I have currently only owned a Nikon D3200 for around 4 years and I have somewhat outgrown the camera and feel I can do a bit better with another camera,
I am still very much a beginner as I’ve only started to do more photography over the past year, mainly night photography,
I have the money saved for either a Nikon D7200 or the D7500,
I just want body only as I have the 4 lenses I need,
I just don’t know which one to buy,
Few of my friends are going D7200 and say th D7500 is a step backwards,
I really like the 8fps the 7500 offers as I do quite a bit of aircraft spotting too,
Just a bit confused to which I should buy, it’s took me a long time to save the money so I need to make th correct choice,
Sorry for the long post,
Any advice is really much appreciated,
Thank you all.

I’m thinking it could be better in low light iso and the double fps could help,
I’ve had my D3200 4 years and thought it was time for an upgrade maybe

Never used one but I think the 7500 would be the one I'd go for if I had the money and was buying new.
However, I'd probably pick up a used D500 instead.

The people who say the 7500 is a step backwards obviously did not see a comparison between the buffer capacity.

The 7500 buffer is not just 5% better or whatever. Its around double or triple depending what file type.

For example, compressed 12 bit, 7200 = 35. 7500 = 100.

Add to that the extra fps and far better metering system and its a much camera for people interested in those things.

One card slot is not a welcome but how many times do you have card failures yourself ?

I had a 7200for a short time and swopped for a D500.
The 500sensor handles noise better IMO (it is the same sensor in the 7500).
For aircraft etc the 500 is the better buy.
Like Robert I would go for a used 500 instead, but if not the 7500.

If it was my chose I would go for the D7500 updated 51point AF and D500 sensor.

Yes I would save a little more if needed and go for a used D500

Of the two I’d go D7500, I don’t see all the fuss about dual card slots and the D7500 has better AF which is far more important.

However, both cameras are fantastic and either will serve you well.

can you put a grip on a d7500 don't think so

There are ones on ebay that say they are for a d7500.

I think the Chinese seen at opportunity to make a compatible device since Nikon did not bother it seems.

Thanks for the replies,
I’m really looking to the D7500 now,
No dual slots but I don’t have a need for 2 cards and no grip support which again don’t bother me,

One card slot is not a welcome but how many times do you have card failures yourself ?

Sorry mate but that's a silly statement - it's like saying why do you need airbags in a car. It's there to save your life !

Massive step in the wrong direction by Nikon to save a few quid on production costs

Sorry mate but that's a silly statement - it's like saying why do you need airbags in a car. It's there to save your life !

Massive step in the wrong direction by Nikon to save a few quid on production costs

I don't think it's to save on production costs, but rather to differentiate the Nikon product line. Also, if you know the risks and are not shooting professionally, dual card slots are not really a big deal at all.

There are ones on ebay that say they are for a d7500.

I think the Chinese seen at opportunity to make a compatible device since Nikon did not bother it seems.

They have made one that fits but it only has a working shutter button (and that because they have a cable that plugs into the remote socket on the side). There are not front or rear dials, AE/AF or D pad buttons, that makes any adjustments required quite difficult.

It may save .a little on production costs but I feel it's down to differentiating between models. If you want two card slots and a grip it pushes you towards the D500.

For me the options should be D7200 or D500. If you want great AF, slightly improved ISO, fast fps and huge buffer then it's the D500 for me, otherwiise the D7200 is very capable camera at a very good price. The benefits of the D7500 over the D7200 are more in the D500, a used D500 isn't far off the price of the D7500 new.

Back