Votes: 7 70.0%

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my camera to either a Nikon d7200 or 7500 from my Nikon d3300. I can get the 7500 for around £200 more on eBay, I don't really use video so not worried about the 4k, are the other advantages worth the extra prixe? Like the blue tooth?

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful, I am a student so don't have a huge amount of money but I feel like I have hit the learning limit with my d3300

I used two of the D7200 cameras for 2 years on my Weddings before changing to FX, so I'm happy to confirm what a very capable camera it is

Reading the WEX comparison here... https://www.wexphotovideo.com/blog/reviews/nikon-d7500-vs-d7200/ it looks to me like the 'upgrade' to the D7500 is significant, but only really for shooting fast moving subjects and at high ISO, so it looks like a no-brainer if this is your typical subject matter

What does concern me though is the single card slot, maybe this is just my Wedding-tog-paranoia speaking, but I wouldn't have a camera now without 2 cards in it for added security. That said, I've never had a card corrupt anyway and I shot happily for 25 years on a single roll of film and then single card in the early days of digital all without a disaster

For me then - if you're into bands, sports or wildlife go for the D7500 and brave the single card; for anything else and if you also take any paid jobs at all I'd go for the cheaper D7200

Either way you'll get a great camera :)

Dave

Thanks for the replies, I shoot a bit of everything really, portraits, landscapes, macro, I want to be able to shoot more low light photos which I struggle with the d3300, I'm not too worried about the sd cards as I only do it as a hobby, is the d7500 higher iso capabilities better for low light or will I get some good results with either camera.

Thanks for the help!
Ben

I had the 7200 for a short while before swopping for D500.
The 7500 has the same sensor as the 500.
This is subjective but I prefer the “look” of the 500 files.
It renders noise (when present) far nicer than the 7200.
It was a big mistake of Nikon to give the 7500 only one card slot but if this doesn’t matter I would go for 7500.
Amazon (an official Nikon dealer) were recently selling 7500’s for 899 less 85 extra discount.
If this offer has gone I would use Panamoz, you get a 3 year warranty.

Just to say, 750 is the best camera for low light.

Last edited:
Don't see the Amazon deal any more ill have a look at panamoz, think I might go for the 7500, that's the max I can really spend so not really bothered about the 750 or the 500

Thanks for all the help!

Ben

You can get a d7500 for £100 less than panamonz, from e-infin.

But it is 1 year warranty, not 3 years.

Or if you wait I think the d7500 should drop price again, I don't think they are getting very good sales with it at the moment.
Not like the 7100 and 7200 anyway

Ahh ok thanks for the tip, think I might just get it from eBay as there is one for £772 brand new with 1-year warrenty ,
Definitely decided on the 7500 nearly had a look at the canon 80d but doesn't look like it's as good and is older

I personally wouldn't upgrade from the D7200 to the D7500, huge mistake by Nikon to only provide one card slot, for the life of me I just don't get their logic, the other thing for me is no facility for a battery grip on the D7500 another no no as I shoot portraits, the only logical upgrade from the D7200 to me is the D500, but that's me I guess, I got my D7200 S/H and am well impressed with it, it has Wi-Fi which I doubt I will use but you never know, so I really can't think of a use for Bluetooth. To many bloody gimmicks IMHO :)

To be honest I didn't think about a battery grip, always wanted to get one as I also do a lot of portraits, ill have another look before making my mind up, thanks for that!

Sorry I meant to say about the higher iso capabilities and the fact that the grain looks a little less rough, i have decided though I'm not too fussed about this, I'm still looking at the 7200 but now debating whether or not I might enjoy the canon 80d and buy myself a 24mm as that could be good for most things I shoot, at the end of the day I'm just very indecisive its a lot of money so just want to make sure I am buying the right one

Sorry I meant to say about the higher iso capabilities
As noted/shown, there is no significant gain in ISO performance... there may be more difference in the default demosaicing/rendering, but still nothing very significant IMO.

TBH, you haven't noted anything specific that leads me to think you *need* to upgrade at all.

Ahh ok, I understand, it's not that I need to upgrade, I love my d3300 but I kind of get annoyed with the small amount of focus points and the fact that I notice the difference in grain as soon as I go above 400 iso,

Can I ask why other people would upgrade from these entry level dslrs?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it a lot

Ahh ok, I understand, it's not that I need to upgrade, I love my d3300 but I kind of get annoyed with the small amount of focus points and the fact that I notice the difference in grain as soon as I go above 400 iso,

Can I ask why other people would upgrade from these entry level dslrs?

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it a lot
Features/functionality absent in the lower models mostly. An improved AF system would make sense, if you need it. Direct manual controls vs menu driven adjustments can be very significant. Even low light performance, but that is a more difficult subject... generally requires an increase of sensor size/reduction of resolution.

The main reason I wouldn't buy an entry/mid level DSLR is the lack of direct controls... having to dive into menus in order to change any aspect of exposure is a huge hinderance to me. It's ok for cameras that I don't use for serious/demanding work, but still annoying/problematic.

Thanks for the help, I might go to a camera store and try out one of the higher models and see what i think, if it feels like I need to upgrade then I will if not then maybe wait until my current camera is a hindrance,

Thanks for all the help, have a great week!

Back