Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone!

I have recently joined this forum as I want to fall back in love with Photography and put in the work to improve myself. Currently I have the Nikon D3200, but I've had it for several years now and I'm looking to upgrade. Recently I seen a review about the D7200 and so far like the sound of it. I just wanted the opinions of a few more people as it's a lot of money to spend if I'm not going to be completely happy with it. Majority of the time I photograph Motorsports and Animals so I need something that's going to be able to capture the action while still giving me the detail I require. As photography is still only a hobby for me, I don't have the funds to spend thousands on a camera so want something that's going to do what I want but still at a reasonable cost.

Thanks in advance!

The default response to this question is "what is it that the D3200 doesn't do that the D7200 can"?

I think the sensor in these cameras is pretty similar in terms of sharpness and IQ, but obviously the D7200 goes to a higher ISO which could help you with getting a fast shutter speed for wildlife and motorsports. The dynamic range is also good on the D7200 which will help you as well.

The D7200 has the major advantage of a much improved auto-focus system, but that will only benefit you if you're actually missing shots with the D3200.

Lastly the D7200 has weather sealing which might be useful if you have weather sealed lenses.

That all comes at additional cost and weight, but on balance it's probably a good upgrade (if you need it ;) )

I started with a D3200 after getting back into photography after a gap of about 30 years
I upgraded to a D7200 about 18 months ago and if truth be known I never got the maximum out of the D3200 but shiny new things and all that.
Comparing the two the D7200 just feels so much better, the build quality stands out as soon as you pick the camera up plus the AF,button layout etc are just so much better
Worth the upgrade in my opinion

For motorsports the max shutter of 1/8000 and increased 6 fps could help, but it's the autofocus system which I think will impress the most. The 3200 uses the Multi-CAM 1000 whereas the 7200 uses the Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 DX II which is something like five autofocus systems ahead.

There's a chart here which is interesting, although I'm not sure of it being 100% accurate on everything: https://nikonrumors.com/2016/12/30/nikon-af-modules-reference-table.aspx/

I upgraded from a D3100 to the D7200 in August last year.
The main improvement for me was the increased number of controls on the body of the camera reducing the need to dive into menus to change settings. The additional wheel is a biggie.

I did upgrade my main lenses at the same time which probably improved my IQ more than the camera upgrade I suspect. 18-55 VR kit lens to the 17-55 DX 2.8 and the 55-200 (non VR) to a 70-200 VR 2.8.

The D7200 is a larger, heavier body which feels much better in the hand (mine anyway). I have the hands of a small girl and the ergonomics suit them to a T.

I started with a D3200 after getting back into photography after a gap of about 30 years
I upgraded to a D7200 about 18 months ago and if truth be known I never got the maximum out of the D3200 but shiny new things and all that.
Comparing the two the D7200 just feels so much better, the build quality stands out as soon as you pick the camera up plus the AF,button layout etc are just so much better
Worth the upgrade in my opinion

Thank you! Definitely convinces me more that the D7200 is the right way to go. I don't think I've managed to get the best out of the D3200 but my one is well and truly past it's best before date. Poor thing has been abused over the years, haha!

I upgraded from a D3100 to the D7200 in August last year.
The main improvement for me was the increased number of controls on the body of the camera reducing the need to dive into menus to change settings. The additional wheel is a biggie.

I did upgrade my main lenses at the same time which probably improved my IQ more than the camera upgrade I suspect. 18-55 VR kit lens to the 17-55 DX 2.8 and the 55-200 (non VR) to a 70-200 VR 2.8.

The D7200 is a larger, heavier body which feels much better in the hand (mine anyway). I have the hands of a small girl and the ergonomics suit them to a T.

I'm with you in liking a heavier and larger body of the camera. I have found one for sale that comes with a couple of lenses and was just wondering if you, or anyone else, knew if they were also worth it. Firstly it comes with a Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-P DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens and also a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LF Macro Autofocus Lens. I don't know a lot when it comes to information about the lenses, but the information that is provided on the site seems to make it sound like a suitable lens for me.

I am sure that Nikon 18-55 VR will be the kit lens which came with my D3100, current version is the VRII.
I was happy enough with my photos as long as there was decent light. F5.6 @ 55m was not great in dim light and the ISO would need increasing which on the D3100 I wasn't too keen on. Very light lens too, I still have it and take in on holiday in place of the much heavier 17-55 2.8.

I'm not familiar with that Tamron though.

I'm with you in liking a heavier and larger body of the camera. I have found one for sale that comes with a couple of lenses and was just wondering if you, or anyone else, knew if they were also worth it. Firstly it comes with a Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-P DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens and also a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LF Macro Autofocus Lens. I don't know a lot when it comes to information about the lenses, but the information that is provided on the site seems to make it sound like a suitable lens for me.

You say motorsports and wildlife are your thing so typically at least 200mm would be the sensible reach unless you are able to get closer to the action, but then the D7200 is a 24MP sensor so there is scope for cropping. What lenses do you have at the moment? Something like the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG can be had for £679 used at MPB which gives you that extra stop or two for when you need to increase the shutter speed or for wildlife in fading light.

Alternatively there's a Tokina 100mm f2.8 going for £349 new at WEX. It may be a shorter focal length but my past experience of Tokina was nothing short of excellent.

Then I guess you can decide what would be the best lens for other types of photography you may do. A 30mm prime works very well on a cropped sensor though, I had a Sigma 30mm 1.4 on my Sony A6000 and it was a perfect focal length for family stuff.

Last edited:
You say motorsports and wildlife are your thing so typically at least 200mm would be the sensible reach unless you are able to get closer to the action, but then the D7200 is a 24MP sensor so there is scope for cropping. What lenses do you have at the moment? Something like the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG can be had for £679 used at MPB which gives you that extra stop or two for when you need to increase the shutter speed or for wildlife in fading light.

Alternatively there's a Tokina 100mm f2.8 going for £349 new at WEX. It may be a shorter focal length but my past experience of Tokina was nothing short of excellent.

Then I guess you can decide what would be the best lens for other types of photography you may do. A 30mm prime works very well on a cropped sensor though, I had a Sigma 30mm 1.4 on my Sony A6000 and it was a perfect focal length for family stuff.

At the moment I'm just using the Kit lens that came with my D3200. It has just about done all that I want it to do and I didn't want to go spending money on lenses without properly getting advice and researching into finding the right one as it's a lot of money to waste if it was wrong.

In that case I'd recommend the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G lens. At a similar focal lens to your kit lens at the long end you'll be gaining three stops and coupled with the improved low light performance of the D7200 it will open up a whole new world of creativity with family photos. It's also a focal range which you are used to for motorsport etc and being such an inexpensive lens it's not much outlay to waste if it's not for you. Ideally, I would have said the Tokina 100mm for your sports and wildlife and perhaps the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for family stuff but then that's a bigger outlay.

First lens is the standard kit lens for a D3400. Great for a kit lens but not so good in low light. Fine for landscapes and general outdoor stuff. It probably won't work on a D3200 as it is AF-P. The Tamron is an unstabilised lens that will be difficult to use on wildlife except at high shutter speeds. Nikon AF-P 70-300 dx VR would be better but won't work on the D3200. Should be fine on a D7200 after a firmware upgrade.

The standard AF-S 35mm dx f/1.8 is a bit of a bargain if you want a 50mm equivalent or a AF 50mm D if you want a 75mm equivalent. The 35mm will work on either camera but the 50mm D would be manual only on your current camera.

Back