Nikon D750 & D780

I forget, which of you guys swapped form Canon to Nikon?

I'm just wondering as I ran into the end cap of a lens unscrewing the wrong way the other day and yesterday Phil was round to pick up the 135 and I had a quick go of his 6D and it was so natural I changed the focus point without even thinking about it.

So any tips from you serial swappers?

Told you to stick with what you know...

I came from a Fuji X-T1 because @twist told me to. Only annoying thing i keep doing is pressing the function button when i want to change lenses as it is in exactly the same place as the lens release button was on the X-T1.

Told you to stick with what you know...

I came from a Fuji X-T1 because @twist told me to. Only annoying thing i keep doing is pressing the function button when i want to change lenses as it is in exactly the same place as the lens release button was on the X-T1.

:D And you made the correct 'choice'.

lol - I'll get used to it :)

Still I'll be able to play soon - it just arrived!
Job 1 - Get battery in charger and charging.
Job 2 - Check serial number. Result: "Your camera is unaffected. Repair not necessary"

Splendid...

Im getting bloody old those picks leave me in the dark on monitor and ipad time to get off this coil :eek:

Sooo.... is that a severed hand you just had laying around ;)

It seems it works and in the good tradition of taking a snap of the kids, here the first shot I took (I let her take the first but forgot to take the lens off manual!) - on the 85mm, I really didn't pay enough attention as its not only jpeg but at 1/20s !

Totally unprocessed, in rough(ish) light and on the stairs with a horrid background.

Testing the new toy
by John Norton, on Flickr

Well, I'm taking it very easy (amazingly) having promised Anna she could take the first shot, but so far I'd say its pretty good, the shot with the 85mm was all i was hoping which is great and the weight doesn't seem that bad either although the 24-120 is a tad heavy.

I'm going out with the little lad after tea and he will be my victim - I've the bag all packed with the 24-120, 85 and a (very) cheap Sigma 70-300 I picked up off Amazon yesterday for £87, no VR, very old model etc but I have nothing in that range and its small, like pany 100-300 small so if its not total cr*p it'll be nice to take away on holiday.

lol, bugger off ;)

Last edited:
I think mines the pre APO one, still it seems okay so far - I'll know a little later when I look at the images - yours looks nice though and very well priced.

Lol, not me yet!

How are you boys and girls who are using highlight metering implementing it? Are you dialling in any exposure compensation etc? And how are you pulling the shadows in post?

Thanks.
Highlight metering works better in some lights than others, such as when it's dark and something being lit by a narrow source of bright light. That said I do sometimes use it on other occasions. I don't tend to use exp comp with highlight metering.

In post it varies depending on what I want to achieve, and what the scene is. Sometimes just applying a lift to shadows globally works a treat. Sometimes I brush in shadow lifts to specific areas, and sometimes I brush in exposure.

Double post. Having a mare with this site tonight :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Me too :(

Fingers crossed it''l go through in one!

I tried all three lenses today and although theres nothing wrong with the 24-120 as expected I got nothing special for my tastes, however I did get these with the other two :) And a fair few besides, I can see the 70-300 being a semi-decent macro too with a bit of thinking.

BTW all these were on 3D tracking, lazy I know but I thought I'd test it out and I'm glad I did.

Down by the river

Ethan

On the road again

Scooting

Thanks for the advice on highlight metering mate. Will give it a try but i think I'll just stick with matrix 99% of the time tbh.

John, super shots. Really like #1 & #2. They really pop.

So when is the m4/3 going up for sale then? :D

Cheers, well given that with the black rapid it was almost weightless the m43 could be in danger, still I'll give it a week or two to be sure.

So @minnnt, impressed with the D750? Impressions against the XT1? Image quality and focus speed, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Been using my XT1 and X-Pro1 for quite a while but still missing focus at times I don't want to, even with new firmware update. Just considering options.

Thanks for the advice on highlight metering mate. Will give it a try but i think I'll just stick with matrix 99% of the time tbh.

I have mine set to partial metering (for wild life etc) but have mapped one of the front function buttons to put the camera into a quick highlight metering mode for tricky situations and find it works well.

Matrix works brilliantly most of the time anyway (y)

So @minnnt, impressed with the D750? Impressions against the XT1? Image quality and focus speed, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Been using my XT1 and X-Pro1 for quite a while but still missing focus at times I don't want to, even with new firmware update. Just considering options.

I know people will laugh and trawl back through hundreds of pages in the X-T1 thread where i said IQ this and focus speed that but the D750 really is on a whole other level. But it should be i guess as it is a much more mature system. The speed is great and it really does focus in near total darkness with a slight dip in speed but the accuracy remains.

As a Lr user, i probably wasn't doing myself any favours with the X-Trans files but it works well with Nikon files. I did notice the water colour/worm like artifacts when viewing at 100% but nothing like this exists with the .NEF files. Even when a file has been pushed hard in PP it still holds together well. I just need to perfect the process to make sure i can get the best out of them as much as possible.

The Fuji does have a place though and i need to make sure i don't turn this into a case of 'ex-girlfriend syndrome' where the new toy becomes so much better in my mind even if it isn't. The Fuji had size on it's side. Even with the new zooms that are coming out, but if you can handle the size and weight then the D750 is a great performer. It's reliable for getting the shots you want although i never really struggled with the X-T1 tbh.

Haven't used AF-C or tracking yet so i will get back to you on that one.

Back