Nikon D750 & D780

@minnnt, I bet you're parcel truck stalking :D

Used my D750's along with the 24-120 F4 and an 85 1.8G for a wedding on Saturday (my second ever and my first solo!) and I have to say they were exceptional. The difference between shooting with them and my old D700 which I used for my first wedding, was night and day.

One of the major things that stood out was the focus speed and accuracy, these cameras literally catch focus in the dark! Not instantly, but quickly enough to get the shots. Also ergonomically, which before I bought mine was one area I thought would concern me, they were great. I mapped the Rec button for ISO and I was all set. The grip sort of made me forget the cameras were there when I was holding them. Combine that, the light weight, and a Black Rapid, and I have never felt so comfortable shooting in any high pressure situation.

Also the files these things produce are gorgeous. Now I loved my D700 and have shot with a few different cameras over the last few years,but the IQ and colour/tone of the D750 files is simply stunning.

Seriously impressed!

@EspressoJunkie Thats great and very good news to hear - not that I'll be shooting a wedding but it sounds like I'll have the gear should it ever come up.

Made me laugh thought, my Nikon kit will be - D750, 24-120, 85 1.8G and a black rapid - sound familiar? ;)

@minnnt Been there done that - I felt awful and it wasn't even my fault - I however will be stalking as I'm on holiday :D Now where is that nice graphical DHL tracker with maps!

Last edited:
lol, if she reads that you;re in soooooo much trouble :D

I was guessing DHL, its just what I had last time I used them - still not got the tracking code, but they usually send them round 13:30 our time if I recall.

Yay, and now with tracking (UPS)

Last edited:
Outstanding :D

I'm not at all jealous...

So how long till clocking off?

You do know I'll be wanting a mini review comparing the MFT (not that thats very fair!)

Last edited:
Wowzers. Big innit? The 24-120 is HEAVY! Must be a lot of glass inside it. Haven't used it yet but the battery is on charge. Ordered a second battery and screen protector too. Got a couple of cards ready to format in camera.

First thoughts are that the grip is superb. I didn't think i would notice it being any different to the D7xxx series, especially as it's been a few months since i owned them. It was the first thing i noticed. The top LCD screen is smaller than the other models. I'm assuming this is because of the new grip? Rear screen movement isn't as good as the mirrorless interpretations though on first glance. Superbly made though.

Looking forward to getting the lighter primes over the next few days.

Stay tuned!

David, if you're after lightness, I can heartily recommend the Fuji X-T1. Ideal as a second system when the D750 etc. is just too heavy! ;)

:D :p

There is a lot of talk about formatting cards in camera here. To date, I haven't formatted a single card after taking them out of the packaging and this is for both CF & SD cards. Am I missing something here?

There is a lot of talk about formatting cards in camera here. To date, I haven't formatted a single card after taking them out of the packaging and this is for both CF & SD cards. Am I missing something here?
I've always formatted in camera, both new cards and after transferring images to the computer. Formatting is easiest way to ensure the cards are ready for the next outing. It's in the manual page 375.

Bugger, and I just ordered the 32 for that thinking Sandisk was the trusted choice, oh well.

I've only had one card fail and that was due to a camera memory slot issue. If you buy from an authorised sandisk dealer (on amazon that's from them and not marketplace sellers) you should be fine. There are a numbe of fake sandisk cards around and that doesn't help.

I've used both sandisk and lexar, both are recommended by Nikon for the D750, I've had no problem with either.

What I'm going to find interesting is how it compares with the 5D3 ISO wise - I used to have no problem with the noise up to 6400 and had over 200 keepers at 128,000! But those last ones were quite subjective.

What am i losing out on if i shoot at one of the expanded lower iso's? Is it giving up some DR?

If i wanted to shoot say a landscape and decided i wanted to have a longer exposure so i chose iso 50/64/80 over the native 100, what am i losing?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. :p

What am i losing out on if i shoot at one of the expanded lower iso's? Is it giving up some DR?

If i wanted to shoot say a landscape and decided i wanted to have a longer exposure so i chose iso 50/64/80 over the native 100, what am i losing?

The sensor is basically using its lowest base ISO and then underexposing the shot in post. Your highlights will clip quicker this way. You don't really get anything that you wouldn't get underexposing a raw at ISO 100

The sensor is basically using its lowest base ISO and then underexposing the shot in post. Your highlights will clip quicker this way. You don't really get anything that you wouldn't get underexposing a raw at ISO 100

Just thinking - I bet a fair few of you could sign up as NPU's (link), if this is like the Canon one you might as well as its free, plus you never know when a free phone call might be all it takes to get a problem fixed.

@EspressoJunkie Thats great and very good news to hear - not that I'll be shooting a wedding but it sounds like I'll have the gear should it ever come up.

Made me laugh thought, my Nikon kit will be - D750, 24-120, 85 1.8G and a black rapid - sound familiar? ;)

@minnnt Been there done that - I felt awful and it wasn't even my fault - I however will be stalking as I'm on holiday :D Now where is that nice graphical DHL tracker with maps!

ive ordered d750 with 24-120, 50 1.4 and a black rapid ;)

What the 50 1.4, you can't be in our gang ;)

Actually I was told the other day that too is an outstanding lens... ba'h I hope this is good, but if it is my Olympus kit could be in danger!

Sorely tempted to get a 58 f/1.4 but I already have a Siggy 50 f/1.4 art that barely gets any use.

I took a risk as my 50 hardly gets used, but this gets used for 90% of my wedding shots at the moment!

Very worrying, my tracking has been stuck on "Billing information received" for a day, looks like its not been picked up :(

Edit: They got back to me very quickly and said I should have it on Thursday, so I guess it got missed in the pick up. Still at least they're on top of it.

Last edited:
Really like that flower shot David @minnnt (y)

George.

Very worrying, my tracking has been stuck on "Billing information received" for a day, looks like its not been picked up :(

Edit: They got back to me very quickly and said I should have it on Thursday, so I guess it got missed in the pick up. Still at least they're on top of it.

Did i mention that i have mine already? :D

Really like that flower shot David @minnnt (y)

George.

Thanks George. Hardly inspired but was quite happy with it for 6400.

Why is that Andy? Suppose you just gel with some lenses?

And the fact it costs a s*** load. :D

Yeah, I think there's just certain fields of view that people tend to lean towards based on their tastes. I'd always shot quite a lot on my 85, but not so much on the 50, that 8mm just nudges the 50mm fov to something that I love, and the bokeh is amazing!

Yeah, don't mention the price tag haha

At last, its been picked up. That'll give me something to do with the 85mm, screen protector and SD card that are already here :)

Reactions: JYC
Well, looks like I'll be joining you guys soon too - I've not managed to order the body yet (waiting on BACS info), but I did just buy a 85mm 1.8G to go with the camera I don't yet own :rolleyes:

Which brings me to essential accessories. Am I right in thinking expro are still the best 3rd party batteries?

Anything else I should look to get on Amazon prime before it turns up, like a really good strap, car charger, a top notch SD card?

Any recommendations appreciated as I'm on holiday from Sunday and could give it a real baptism of fire
If you are looking for a really good strap then I would recommend the Black Rapid Sport. It has the additional underarm connector which makes a difference.

I have one, but haven't used it in a while. I used to use it only for my big lenses, but this time I'm planning to use it for everything and attach it to the body.
I thought that strap was just to stop it wandering off and keep the shoulder pad in place, does it have another use?

It is supposed to stop it slipping as much, which it does to an extent. I used mine all the time when I went on holiday and it made a big difference. I added a tether to mine for extra protection because I never totally trust any straps.

Back