Nikon D750 & D780

AFC ability must be very subjective - it's pretty much the reason I ditched my XT1 for the Nikon (D750). I didn't rate it at all with the Fuji and ultimately the frustration of trying to just shoot my (admittedly fast) kids doing what they do cost the camera it's place in my bag; which was a shame because I did quite like it in many respects.

AFC ability must be very subjective - it's pretty much the reason I ditched my XT1 for the Nikon (D750). I didn't rate it at all with the Fuji and ultimately the frustration of trying to just shoot my (admittedly fast) kids doing what they do cost the camera it's place in my bag; which was a shame because I did quite like it in many respects.
There's no question that AF-C is a lot better on the Nikon,I think the above example is not an AF-C performance scenario tbh :p

X-T1 and 50-140 f2.8

D750 and Tamron 70-300 vc.

Maybe i was expecting to get more keepers or be able to push the boundaries more with slower pans etc. The shot above at 1/15 was with the 24-70 so maybe it's just a lens issue? I think it's my techhnique though. I did feel very comfortable with the Fooj.
The lens is the limiting factor here, stick a Nikon 70-200mm on the end and you will have quite literally the best, quickest, most reliable, most accurate combination on the planet

The lens is the limiting factor here, stick a Nikon 70-200mm on the end and you will have quite literally the best, quickest, most reliable, most accurate combination on the planet

Apart from the Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 which focus even faster than its bigger brother. The new VR version reportedly even eclipses this.

Seriously looking into getting the d750 and I'm wondering which lens to get with it. The two I'm looking at are the 24-120mm f4 or the 28-300mm. Does anyone on here have any experience with either of these two lenses. I think I would prefer the 24-120 but the other obviously has the extra reach.

You use it when you go to the toilet.

That's where mine live until they've been read cover to cover, apart from when I'm out with the camera in which case it'll be in the bag just in case.

I heard it came with a neck strap too??

I much prefer neoprene straps to the (too) narrow ones Nikon supply. My preference is for the Op-Tech ones. Not tried Arse traps yet - since neck straps work for me, I don't need to!

24-120 f4 is a really nice lens - great focal length and IS. Even I was surprised how good the IQ is, I think this lens gets a hard time because the previous version (variable aperture) was not so good. If you buy it as a 'kit' you'll easily be able to sell it on if you don't like it.

Martin, generally speaking, the greater the range of focal lengths a lens covers, the more compromises have to be made in terms of image quality, distortion correction and chromatic aberrations (among other factors). As handy as a larger range might be, IMO the compromises are too great. The 24-120 isn't perfect but does have a very useful range for a walkabout lens, providing plenty of quality for most uses.

I think you're right Gary.

How good is the 80-400 vr2?

Hi minnnt, For information, the "new" 80-400VR is really a very, very nice lens: good FL range; sensible aperture (reducing this will clearly add weight); very effective coatings giving great contrast and colours; very fast AF; takes a x1.4 TC quite well; solid build, and very effective VR.

Nothing to dislike about it apart from the cost but I suspect you get what you pay for which is basically a top drawer lens.

I doubt that you will find a bad review of this lens at least from actual users.

I had a copy as soon as it was imported into the UK and really liked it. Should not have let it go really !

I have also had both Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600C and think that the Nikon 80-400 is a more useful and much better all-round lens. Unless you need approx 600mm of course, in which case just get a x1.4TC.

Seriously looking into getting the d750 and I'm wondering which lens to get with it. The two I'm looking at are the 24-120mm f4 or the 28-300mm. Does anyone on here have any experience with either of these two lenses. I think I would prefer the 24-120 but the other obviously has the extra reach.

I've used both and for me the clear winner is the 24-120. The 28-300 isn't bad for the range it covers but its not a spectabulr performer both in terms of IQ and AF speed.

The 24-120 is an excellent lens and pairs up very well with the D750.

I've used both and for me the clear winner is the 24-120. The 28-300 isn't bad for the range it covers but its not a spectabulr performer both in terms of IQ and AF speed.

The 24-120 is an excellent lens and pairs up very well with the D750.

I am sure lots of people here got the D750/24-120f4 kit expecting the kit lens to be a bit rubbish. Most (like me) think it is a really excellent walkabout and if bundled in the kit is fantastic value. Why would you NOT get it ?

The only reasons I can think of not to get the 24-120 are a) a dislike of zooms or b) a 24-70 f/2.8 in the bag already.

or c) its fairly heavy

It is very good though and well worth having especially as a kit lens - the range is very useful.

Aye, but you must be built like a tank by now ;)

haha, how kind of you to notice ;)

Pretty good actually - I've a few pics to process but will post a couple here when I get round to it.

Apart from the Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 which focus even faster than its bigger brother. The new VR version reportedly even eclipses this.
I assume you mean 24-70?

That's where mine live until they've been read cover to cover, apart from when I'm out with the camera in which case it'll be in the bag just in case.

I much prefer neoprene straps to the (too) narrow ones Nikon supply. My preference is for the Op-Tech ones. Not tried Arse traps yet - since neck straps work for me, I don't need to!
I've a couple of op-tech straps and don't like either. I prefer the matin curved neoprene neck strap as it's softer and the edges are more rounded making it more comfortable.

That being said I mainly use the black rapid sport sling strap now.

What's the real world continuous shooting RAW buffer like on the D750? I'm getting truly fed up with the D7100 buffer, which is a second if you're lucky and truly stuffs up what should have been a great camera. The D750 sounds like the perfect upgrade

What's the real world continuous shooting RAW buffer like on the D750? I'm getting truly fed up with the D7100 buffer, which is a second if you're lucky and truly stuffs up what should have been a great camera. The D750 sounds like the perfect upgrade
Still fills up fast at 6.5fps, but better than the D7100. Of course it helps if you shoot jpeg rather than RAW, but I shoot RAW in slot 1 with Jpeg in slot 2. Still get about 10-12 shots before it fills which is more than enough for me.

2-3 second burst at a time should be pretty much good enough to stop any action if you anticipate the timing right. It's not difficult I used to only have 36 frames on a motor drive with a Nikon F3

2-3 second burst at a time should be pretty much good enough to stop any action if you anticipate the timing right. It's not difficult I used to only have 36 frames on a motor drive with a Nikon F3

:plus1: Nick, still got it along with a motor driven Nikon FE2. And believe it or not I still use them both from time to time. "Fabulous Bits Of Kit". (y)

George.

:plus1: Nick, still got it along with a motor driven Nikon FE2. And believe it or not I still use them both from time to time. "Fabulous Bits Of Kit". (y)

George.

Agree, it feels like a 'real camera' but only those who have used one will appreciate that sentiment. That said, I'm more than happy with my D750 / D810 arrangement.

@Nod @hobodan @EspressoJunkie @gary43 @JohnN

Thanks for the replies and advice on the 24-120. I had sort of made my mind up on the 24-120 but I have the 18-200 on my D7100 and the 28-300 would be similar range. But I'm looking more for quality on the D750 and I've got the Sigma 150-500mm if I need that extra reach :)

Just get the 24-70. Awesome lens with instantaneous focusing.
I would love that lens but I'm pushing it getting the D750 and 24-120. My main reason for the purchase is that the D7100 doesn't have exposure preview in LiveView when my older D7000 (dead) did have it. So it's hard to zoom in and focus on bright objects in the dark (ie stars planets moon) as they just show as overexposed blobs.

I love the 24-120 on my D750. Just a shame that Nikon has had my D750 for over 3 weeks now doing the shutter shading issue thingy !

If you don't need f2.8 then the 24-120 is superb. I sold the 24-70 f2.8 because I rarely used it wide open, f4 on the D750 is ample with the its high ISO capabilties and a few £££s in the bank for other things. I don't miss the 24-70 at all.

Back