Nikon D750 & D780

Has anyone sent their D750 back for the shutter shading issue and had it back ? I sent mine back to Nikon about 3 weeks ago, and when I checked the repair status on the website (using my reference details sent to me by email), it just says "Your camera is awaiting repair".

Am I likely to be in for the long wait. Shame really as I go on holiday in 2 weeks and wanted to take the 750 instead of my M43 setup for a change.

I miss my 750 :(

Has anyone sent their D750 back for the shutter shading issue and had it back ? I sent mine back to Nikon about 3 weeks ago, and when I checked the repair status on the website (using my reference details sent to me by email), it just says "Your camera is awaiting repair".

Am I likely to be in for the long wait. Shame really as I go on holiday in 2 weeks and wanted to take the 750 instead of my M43 setup for a change.

I miss my 750 :(

Pick up the phone and call/chase them?

I tried calling them a couple of years ago when my D3 went in for repair and got no where fast. Are you saying they are better now on the phone and I should be able to get some sense out of them ?

I tried calling them a couple of years ago when my D3 went in for repair and got no where fast. Are you saying they are better now on the phone and I should be able to get some sense out of them ?

No, fortunately I havent had to use their service, but if I did I would call them. Things may have changed, after all, its been years.

Strange, I've always had no trouble getting in contact with Nikon, either via email or phone (tempted fate now haven't I ;))

It is certainly worth a call. My D750 had been with them for two weeks and the status still showed "awaiting repair" so I called them and got straight through, although they couldn't give me answer there and then said they would get back to me the next day. The next morning I received an email telling me camera had been repaired and would be shipped out that day. Maybe co-incidence but my chase up call and the repair being completed seemed to be very close to one another!

They always responded to a friendly phone call in the past, especially if you say you have a shoot or a holiday coming up they do seem to move it up the queue.

I got so used to it at one point I could dial up the number and press option 3 without even thinking about it :p

They seem to be really busy though with all the recalls!

Just dug out my old F60 and it has a Nikkor AF 70-300mm ED F4-5.6 D. Would anyone know if this lens would be any good on the D750 or is it just a cheap old lens?

Not a great lens, and wouldn't do the D750 much justice imo.

Definitely worth calling them!

I've just got my D750 back from Nikon after a second visit! The first one was for a flare issue check and that took just over the 2 weeks they said. I think I called them and they told me that it had just been looked at, so I didn't see any status other than 'awaiting repair' before I got it back!

The second return was less straightforward. The camera failed as soon as I got it back and Nikon then had it for another 4 weeks - during the last 2 of which I called several times. While they were always very pleasant and apologetic about the time it was taking, I never felt I was getting any tangible news - most times it was 'your camera is still being looked at'. Then, last week, it changed to: 'we still can't reproduce the fault, but we are going to change the main board as a precaution - and we are getting a delivery of them tomorrow'. I still wonder if they'd decided to do this a lot earlier, but didn't want to tell me that the part was out of stock.

Having said all that, I did tell them that I needed the camera for an event this weekend and I got it back earlier than their first prediction so, yes, I think that you can be moved up the queue at times.

I've just got my D750 back from Nikon after a second visit! The first one was for a flare issue check and that took just over the 2 weeks they said. I think I called them and they told me that it had just been looked at, so I didn't see any status other than 'awaiting repair' before I got it back!

The second return was less straightforward. The camera failed as soon as I got it back and Nikon then had it for another 4 weeks - during the last 2 of which I called several times. While they were always very pleasant and apologetic about the time it was taking, I never felt I was getting any tangible news - most times it was 'your camera is still being looked at'. Then, last week, it changed to: 'we still can't reproduce the fault, but we are going to change the main board as a precaution - and we are getting a delivery of them tomorrow'. I still wonder if they'd decided to do this a lot earlier, but didn't want to tell me that the part was out of stock.

Having said all that, I did tell them that I needed the camera for an event this weekend and I got it back earlier than their first prediction so, yes, I think that you can be moved up the queue at times.
Would you mind sharing what the issue was that try can't reproduce?

OK, just to make sure I get through to the right people, what's the best number to call on - is it 0330 123 0928 ?

That sound bad (n)

Ok, just called them and apparently the nice lady said mine is due to be completed tomorrow, and I should have it back before the end of the week.

Great news if it happens but we'll see.

Would you mind sharing what the issue was that try can't reproduce?
I mentioned it a few pages ago, but it was this:

When I got the body back, I took a couple of images, but noticed that some settings had changed, so I went into the menus. I reset some things and then went to look at the firmware version and, at that point, the camera froze/locked. The only way out was to remove the battery. Once I'd done this and replaced the battery, the camera no longer 'saw' the memory cards, the rear screen wouldn't come on at all and the metering wasn't registering changes in brightness (plus some other issues). It was like this repeatedly for 4 or 5 days as I had an email conversation with Nikon and tried various things out

When they told me that they couldn't reproduce the fault, I asked them if the camera was working normally for them, but didn't get a direct answer. Only that they were still checking it. At the end, they said that the symptoms I had described were consistent with a problem with the main PCB and that they were going to replace it.

Another aspect that wasn't raised at all by Nikon (and has been discussed up thread) is that my D750 came from Panamoz so, strictly, hasn't got Nikon EU warranty cover. I'd sent it off with my proof of purchase and was ready to tell them that the problem must have be caused by the first service, but it never came up.

I've noticed that it has come back this time with the 'L' firmware value (distortion control lens data) showing as 2.005 (I think?) whereas, when it was returned before, it was 2.009. I'm loathe to update this now! What are other people using?

When I got the body back, I took a couple of images, but noticed that some settings had changed, so I went into the menus. I reset some things and then went to look at the firmware version and, at that point, the camera froze/locked. The only way out was to remove the battery. Once I'd done this and replaced the battery, the camera no longer 'saw' the memory cards, the rear screen wouldn't come on at all and the metering wasn't registering changes in brightness (plus some other issues). It was like this repeatedly for 4 or 5 days as I had an email conversation with Nikon and tried various things out

When they told me that they couldn't reproduce the fault, I asked them if the camera was working normally for them, but didn't get a direct answer. Only that they were still checking it. At the end, they said that the symptoms I had described were consistent with a problem with the main PCB and that they were going to replace it.

Another aspect that wasn't raised at all by Nikon (and has been discussed up thread) is that my D750 came from Panamoz so, strictly, hasn't got Nikon EU warranty cover. I'd sent it off with my proof of purchase and was ready to tell them that the problem must have be caused by the first service, but it never came up.

I've noticed that it has come back this time with the 'L' firmware value (distortion control lens data) showing as 2.005 (I think?) whereas, when it was returned before, it was 2.009. I'm loathe to update this now! What are other people using?
Thanks. I'm not sure which version mine has, can check later. Mine has had the freezing issue a couple of times but never the blank LCD etc.

Official current D750 FW is C1.02

2.005 it seems is C1.01.

Last edited:
Well I have just chased my repair 2 weeks on nearly and they're waiting for a sensor delivery. So it's getting a new sensor, hopefully they're due in next week. Seems to be done under warranty.

My firmware shows as
C. 1.02
L. 2.005
I thought I had the latest but haven't checked for a month
Allan

Thanks Adam

24th June. Over 2 months. I can't believe my D750 has been away for so long. Phoned Nikon this morning and the guy on the phone couldn't tell me why it had been held up but assured me the guy dealing with it would email or ring me asap. Not heard anything since. Even though everyone i've dealt with has been genial and pleasant, for 'Nikon Professional Services' it's been pretty poor. The only reason I haven't pressed is because I have a loan camera in the meantime. Even still, when I initially sent it (for the third time since the flare fix that wrecked my AF) they claimed it would 'take a few days.' If there's something wrong with my camera that is taking Nikon PS 2 months to figure out, do I really want that camera back?

That does suck and I wish these places would just be honest rather than keeping you hanging on, but on the up side if theres anything you fancied taking shed loads of high speeds bursts of nows the time :)

70-200 options on the D750, with weddings in mind the Nikon f2.8 would probably seem best.

Any experience of the Tamron on the D750 body?

The Nikon f4 is nice a light and a fair bit cheaper than the f2.8, I think I would always be wishing for the 2.8 although I do have an 85 1.8 I could use.

70-200 options on the D750, with weddings in mind the Nikon f2.8 would probably seem best.

The Nikon f4 is nice a light and a fair bit cheaper than the f2.8, I think I would always be wishing for the 2.8 although I do have an 85 1.8 I could use.

Check out twists recent posts about the Tamron. Great, if you get a good copy...

24th June. Over 2 months. I can't believe my D750 has been away for so long. Phoned Nikon this morning and the guy on the phone couldn't tell me why it had been held up but assured me the guy dealing with it would email or ring me asap. Not heard anything since. Even though everyone i've dealt with has been genial and pleasant, for 'Nikon Professional Services' it's been pretty poor. The only reason I haven't pressed is because I have a loan camera in the meantime. Even still, when I initially sent it (for the third time since the flare fix that wrecked my AF) they claimed it would 'take a few days.' If there's something wrong with my camera that is taking Nikon PS 2 months to figure out, do I really want that camera back?
That's really taking the p1$$, I would have escalated it by now tbh.

As above, Twist rates the Tamron. I have the Nikon f2.8 VRII though and wouldn't swap it for anything.

Check out twists recent posts about the Tamron. Great, if you get a good copy...

This! I have good copies of both Tamrons 24-70 and 70-200 and they're fantastic, however I have been lucky and have heard of a lot of people who have had issues with these particular lenses.

I bought both of mine second hand from trusted sources who were able to verify they were good ones. Had I been buying new I would have been cautious.

Ideally you'd buy from somewhere you can physically try the lens but when you buy grey (as I do for almost everything new) that's not possible.

But they're definitely worth the hassle. I use a Nikon 70-200 VRii in work daily and having looked at images taken with it and my Tamron there's not a huge amount of difference. I mean the Nikon is the better lens (very slightly sharper at 2.8 and maybe a hair quicker to AF, and has better build quality) but that's me splitting hairs and pixel peeping at the images side by side. Essentially the Tamron is nearly as good, I mean seriously it's very very close, and when you take the price into account the Tamron for me was the clear choice.

This! I have good copies of both Tamrons 24-70 and 70-200 and they're fantastic, however I have been lucky and have heard of a lot of people who have had issues with these particular lenses.

I bought both of mine second hand from trusted sources who were able to verify they were good ones. Had I been buying new I would have been cautious.

Ideally you'd buy from somewhere you can physically try the lens but when you buy grey (as I do for almost everything new) that's not possible.

But they're definitely worth the hassle. I use a Nikon 70-200 VRii in work daily and having looked at images taken with it and my Tamron there's not a huge amount of difference. I mean the Nikon is the better lens (very slightly sharper at 2.8 and maybe a hair quicker to AF, and has better build quality) but that's me splitting hairs and pixel peeping at the images side by side. Essentially the Tamron is nearly as good, I mean seriously it's very very close, and when you take the price into account the Tamron for me was the clear choice.
How did you find the two in terms of bokeh, contrast, colours etc? There's something about the images from the Nikon that I can't quite put my finger on, but from the research I did I prefer the way it renders. Granted though I've not tried the Tammy for myself, hence my question as you've had both ;)

How did you find the two in terms of bokeh, contrast, colours etc? There's something about the images from the Nikon that I can't quite put my finger on, but from the research I did I prefer the way it renders. Granted though I've not tried the Tammy for myself, hence my question as you've had both ;)

Youre just trying to justify spending twice as much :p

Its called buying a good lens, they tend to perform better than what you were using. ;)

Youre just trying to justify spending twice as much :p

Its called buying a good lens. ;)
I didn't, I got cashback :p I don't regret one little bit buying the Nikon, it's exceptional. Just interested in others' views as I prefer the rendering of the Nikon, but this of course is very subjective ;)

It was just a brief couple of shots in a studio on a white background, so there no bokeh to speak of really. Contrast etc was pretty much on par, again maybe slightly better on the Nikon but any difference was certainly only noticeable side by side.

If I get a chance I'd like to do a proper controlled comparison between the two to see exactly how much difference is. If I do I'll make the RAWs available here for anyone who's interested.

Panamoz price with paypal or credit card is now under £1k at £998 and with BACS it is £968. I am tempted.:D

The D750 new from Panamoz.

I can get £700 or slightly more from my 8 month old D610 and was wondering if spending around £260 more for the D750 is a good decision or should I stick with my D610.
I know only I can answer this based on what I shoot and what I need, but just asking what would you do if you were in a similar situation.

I am going to shoot more indoor ballet and low light street in coming months hence the AF of the D750 is really tempting me.

Back