Nikon D750 & D780

I'm going to get the 10-18mm lens for her and also the 85mm f1.8 so i can use it as a second body for a one off wedding I'm doing in November. Should give me a nice ~135mm equivalent for picking off a few candids etc.

Sounds like a plan, if she let's you borrow it that is :p

AA filter
CF card
Bigger body
VF curtain
1/8000
Lower native iso
£500
Plus flippy screen, weight and different grip. Oh and the D810's AF spread is a touch wider, but overall the D750's AF is a touch better I believe as uses a newer version of the AF system.

It's my default thought now when facing a scene like above... It gives you a lot of leeway with the shots. Just need to remember to shoot more frames.

What are peoples thoughts of still shooting 3 frames but shooting at a wider range? Maybe -2ev, 0ev and +1ev?
I shoot at a wider range, and really push the shadows as shadow recovery is superb.

Cheers @snerkler i will give it a go.
I'm sure I should put a disclaimer in now :p

I tend to do a 3 shot bracket +/-2 ev, and depending on the scene set exp comp to -0.7Ev so effectively I'm shooting at +1.3, -0.7 and -2.7. I generally do this with sunsets to try and prevent any blown highlights, but last time I forgot to bracket right and did s shot bracket +/-1 ev and no exp comp and a 0.9 hard edge grad ND filter and the sun and surrounding sky still blew out slightly :(

I know this has been mentioned on here before, and if I didn't have the slowest internet connection in the world at the moment, I would do a search, but, what third party battery grip do people recommend for the D750. Obviously, I don't want to buy the Nikon one because its just silly money.
Allan

Thanks Graham ( and JYC), I had an idea it was the Meike. Found another recommended seller on Amazon and ordered one. Should be here tomorrow.

I bought the Meike one but promptly returned it as I didn't like the grip, feels bulky compared to the D750. I don't think it's any different to any others though so if you want a grip you just have to accept it. The quality of the grip etc felt pretty decent though.

No posts for over 36 hours? Better rectify that!

Lily and I decided to nearly kill ourselves by climbing up the ridiculous terrain on Parkin Clough to reach the summit of Win Hill in the Peak District. Really enjoyed ourselves, even the descent in the pitch black through woods... :nailbiting: It was a fab bit of father/daughter bonding! :)

Sunset from Win Hill
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Plenty more to come... ;)
Cracking shot.

I had a chance to try out my D750 and 24-120 on the around Briton bike race today, just 3 pics from it, but im impressed.

Attachments

• bike race 019.jpg
    bike race 019.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 57
  • bike race 024.jpg
    bike race 024.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 55
  • bike race 025.jpg
    bike race 025.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 55
Must be time for Nikon to bring out a new camera this thread is bloody huge now and people need something else to talk about lol
A D810 replacement with the size, weight and form of the D750, and with a flippy screen would be perfect IMO. Oh and faster liveview AF ;)

@minnnt have you decided on a focus setting that works for you when shooting the kids? I am still finding AF-C 9 works well.

@minnnt I tend to use single point AF-S for adults and AF-C 9 for kids to just counter any slight movement. I am surprised you managed to shoot at 1/40 & 1/50 as I had always assumed shooting subjects like young children at a much faster shutter speed or at lest double the focal length as a minimum.

Location Date Local Time Activity
Bodmin, United Kingdom 10/09/2015 8:08 Arrival Scan
Tamworth, United Kingdom 10/09/2015 3:15 Departure Scan
Tamworth, United Kingdom 09/09/2015 23:29 Arrival Scan
Leeds, United Kingdom 09/09/2015 22:00 Departure Scan
09/09/2015 20:17 Destination Scan
09/09/2015 9:52 The postcode for the receiver is incorrect. We are attempting to obtain correct postcode to complete delivery. / The address has been corrected and delivery has been rescheduled.
09/09/2015 9:01 We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay.
09/09/2015 5:12 Arrival Scan
Castle Donnington, United Kingdom 09/09/2015 4:35 Import Scan
09/09/2015 3:39 Arrival Scan
Koeln, Germany 09/09/2015 3:21 Departure Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 08/09/2015 18:50 Departure Scan
08/09/2015 2:27 Export Scan
08/09/2015 2:27 Origin Scan
Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong 07/09/2015 21:58 Collection Scan
Hong Kong 04/09/2015 5:25 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Still waiting

Yay, just been informed my D750 has been repaired by Nikon and is on its way back to me. Here's what the invoice says......

Fit new spare parts

Inspect camera related to flare phenomenon in strong backlit situations as announced by Nikon's Support- FAQ/Announcement. Check/improve light shielding. Check/adjust position of AF-Sensor within Mirror-Box compartment. Test and adjust camera according0001

Flare occurs regularly with any DSLR-camera when images with strong backlight situations are taken. Technically, manufacturers can not eliminate this phenomenon completely. Users can reduce/eliminate this phenomenon by using lens-hood or recomposing t0001

Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary. Image capture, playback and delete functions checked.
X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked.
Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary. Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned.

Firmware version checked and updated if required. Listed accessories received and returnedLabour ChargesSR Repair Scheme

Parts Fitted

11A5J-A0391X FRONT BODY UNIT

115KB GRIP UNIT

111HY SHUTTER PLATE UNIT

Yay, just been informed my D750 has been repaired by Nikon and is on its way back to me. Here's what the invoice says......

Fit new spare parts

Inspect camera related to flare phenomenon in strong backlit situations as announced by Nikon's Support- FAQ/Announcement. Check/improve light shielding. Check/adjust position of AF-Sensor within Mirror-Box compartment. Test and adjust camera according0001

Flare occurs regularly with any DSLR-camera when images with strong backlight situations are taken. Technically, manufacturers can not eliminate this phenomenon completely. Users can reduce/eliminate this phenomenon by using lens-hood or recomposing t0001

Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary. Image capture, playback and delete functions checked.
X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked.
Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary. Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned.

Firmware version checked and updated if required. Listed accessories received and returnedLabour ChargesSR Repair Scheme

Parts Fitted

11A5J-A0391X FRONT BODY UNIT

115KB GRIP UNIT

111HY SHUTTER PLATE UNIT
Cool. I'm contemplating sending mine off next week whilst I'm away so I won't miss it at much ;) Stories on this thread about cameras coming back broken is making me think otherwise though as I haven't noticed any shutter issue on mine :confused:

Got mine back today. Seems ok so far, though been more checking out the new Tamron which is as expected: pure fun and novelty for me!

Although I saved my user settings and reloaded when I got it back, there was still a load of stuff that didn't save, so had to mess about resetting my preferences, grrrrrr.

Cool. I'm contemplating sending mine off next week whilst I'm away so I won't miss it at much ;) Stories on this thread about cameras coming back broken is making me think otherwise though as I haven't noticed any shutter issue on mine :confused:

If you go to the Nikon UK website and put your serial number in it will tell you if your camera shutter is effected or not.

Got my D750 yesterday :) stuck it out the front door to try out a quick nighttime test. Four shot Pano stitched, 1/6s ISO6400 f4. The original file shows really good detail considering it was handheld at 1/6s. Think I'm going to like this camera.

DSC_0026_stitch.jpg

Lens dilemma!!!

Nikon 35mm f1.8 ED or wait too see what the Tamron 35mm has to offer. I had the 35mm Nikon briefly but stupidly sold it and regretted it, but don't want to order another if the Tamron is as good or better. First impressions online look pretty damn good and close focussing distance is great. But still... the Nikon IQ is pretty good.

Back