Nikon D750 & D780

Messing about with my new Tamron 70-300 VC in the garden yesterday.

Not the sharpest knife in the block but it's not bad for the price, although 300mm is not actually that long in the grand scheme of things in FF. Suspect I will have to make do, longer options are considerably more expensive :p

DSC_6065.jpg

I don't think they would have minded how bad they were, they just wanted photos to send back to South Africa! Still, I did my best with limited time and knowledge of the camera! Its questioned my need for the Tamron 35mm VC as I'm not convinced it would have done any better.

Never really used 35mm focal length - was actually pretty enjoyable! Won't share anymore from this shoot as was not that exciting!

DSC_0171_zpsuwohdxso.jpg
After you have gone through your images, it would be interesting to get your feedback on the 35mm, I love mine, as David said it does feel a bit cheap/plasticy but you can't knock performance. And well done, really like the two shots your have posted from the wedding, they will be very happy I am sure.

Well another early morning jaunt to the Peak District for me. Sunrise from Mam Tor and was hoping to get some mist in there too...

Stay tuned!
I used to drive through the Peak District every week when I was commuting between Stockport and Northampton and it was frustrating seeing the views, especially the cloud inversions, and knowing I had a camera in the boot but i was always running late so not enough time to do a photo justice.

Talking of cloud inversions; how can you accurately predict them? I know wind and ground vs air temperature and moisture are factors but just wondered whether there was something a little more definitive?

I have no idea mate tbh. I didn't even know they were called inversions until i met someone up at the top this morning. :D

There was a few wispy bits down in the valley towards Castleton this morning and then the next thing i knew i couldn't actually see anything as it had surrounded me!!! Very surreal to watch them develop and move.

Sounds cool, looking forward to the shot so I can see what they are

So, this was just before sunset. Then 5 seconds later it was gone!

Sunrise from Mam Tor
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Then the build up of mist began...

Hope Valley Inversions

Then it REALLY built up...

Hope Valley Inversions

I thought a moody mono would suit it well?

Hope Valley Inversions

And one from Winnats on the way back home.

Winnats Pass

Off out now so will looks at some of the others when i get back. Lemme know whatcha fink innit.

Nice, especially three - I get the impression that theres a really strong image hidden in that one - I can't decide though if it should go with a strong contrast black and white of a more colourful approach using a bit of brushwork it bring up certain areas.

Last edited:

Sunrise from Mam Tor

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Winnats Pass

Off out now so will looks at some of the others when i get back. Lemme know whatcha fink innit.

Stunning photos yet again, I have never been there myself, crazy how quick the elements can change.

I'm never quite sure how hard to push the PP. I understand what you mean John but i didn't want to make it look unnatural. Maybe a touch more saturation is needed? I have a few similar pics so will try it out on one of those.

It was very stylised I agree, and not to everyone's taste - more charcoal than photo, but roughly what I was thinking when I saw it - the colour version (if I finish it) will be pretty unnatural too, sort of a lord of the rings look if I get it right.

Last edited:
Yeah, thats nice - love the greens, in fact the more I look the more I like - greens to white mist to red\orange sky

Sunrise from Mam Tor

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Winnats Pass

Nice pics, especially the monos and the last Winnats Pass. Do you walk to the last one, or did you manage to pull up on the side of the road? I was going to pull up at the side of the road once as the light was perfect, but it's a bit narrow.

Last edited:
After you have gone through your images, it would be interesting to get your feedback on the 35mm, I love mine, as David said it does feel a bit cheap/plasticy but you can't knock performance. And well done, really like the two shots your have posted from the wedding, they will be very happy I am sure.

Well, been editing today - which I could really do with some tips on. I look at a lot of wedding photos and they look different...might just look a bit normal... I think. Then some people say they are great and more natural. I don't know.

Back to the 35mm....

Well, this was my first real outing with the D750 so probably could have adjusted things or used better settings, but overall when its paired with the 35mm it is superb. The high ISO of this camera is amazing. The 35mm seems crisp and sharp and although it does feel less than premium, its not a bad lens build wise. It puts my Tamron 28-75 to shame... that really is plastic.

I think its sharp, I mean... I'm no expert on what is sharp is, but the 35 seems pretty good? This is 100% crop, no edits, just straight from the camera:

crop_zpsmo7v27gs.jpg

As much as it was a fun experiance using the 35mm I'm not 100% sure its for me. The last shoot I did was for a friend when I had a D600 paired with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and did find myself wanting that lens attached during the day on Saturday. Not doing weddings for a living or having the money to get 2 bodies, I did find myself having to swap between the 35 and 50 at times.

Then when we were wondering around the gardens and time was not on our side I just kept the 35 on and I did feel a bit 'in your face' when trying to get close portraits.

The 35mm is indeed a light and cracking quality little lens, but I'm not sure it would get much more use over my 50mm. I'm sure if money was endless and I could afford a bunch of lenses I would get one for my bag. But I think (for the time being) I will go for another Tamron 28-75 and search for a decent enough copy. Last time I was lucky and only had to return 1 lens to get a decent one.

@minnnt

GNice set David, especially liking the second Hope Valley pic.

Anyone got any recommendations for decent third party batteries?

I really don't fancy shelling out for originals if there's ones out there that do a good enough job.

Personally had quite a few issues with third party EN-EL15's for some reason never had any bother with third party EN-EL3's. Lots of people on here seem to rate EX Pro EN--EL15's haven't personally tried those though.

Does anyone know if Nikon manufacture their own batteries or just by them in and brand them. I have never got to the bottom of this. I strongly suspect they buy them in like the Sony sensors. Probably of of Nikon's best kept secrets.

Thanks Paul. Much appreciated mate! :)

Here's the next installation...

Fire in the sky!!

Fire in the sky!!

The path to Back Tor

Surroundings All Around

Mist in the Pass

And one to keep @JohnN off of my back. Although it's probably not heavy enough on the contrast... :p

Gateway to...

Another vote for the Ex-Pro's, excellent quality. I always buy a couple for whatever camera i own...

Ive just realised you've changed your profile pic.yesterday I Liked those photos thinking I've not seen this guy before :)just realised its you :)

How the hell do you insert flickr photos these days??!

xFYn6B

Clearly not like that!

Thanks Paul. Much appreciated mate! :)

Here's the next installation...

Fire in the sky!!

Fire in the sky!!

The path to Back Tor

Surroundings All Around

Mist in the Pass

And one to keep @JohnN off of my back. Although it's probably not heavy enough on the contrast... :p

Gateway to...

Another vote for the Ex-Pro's, excellent quality. I always buy a couple for whatever camera i own...

Great set. Number 3 is a winner for me.

haha, @minnnt I thought it was nice ;)

Seriously though some bloody great shots there, hard to pick a favourite, but if forced I'd say "Surroundings all around", some lovely colours.

plus if your on an iPad its impossible(well I couldn't do it) to get the whole code,but on a mac or pc no problem

Single tap the long BB code and it will briefly flash grey. Then press the BB code with 2 fingers - it will highlight everything and give the "copy" option

Do mind me dropping you a PM about PP?

Also - how/where do I get BB code and do I just paste that on here?

For what it's worth I have never managed to post a picture on TP using an iPhone from Flickr way to complicated !

Does anyone know if Nikon manufacture their own batteries or just by them in and brand them. I have never got to the bottom of this. I strongly suspect they buy them in like the Sony sensors. Probably of of Nikon's best kept secrets.

Some of the Nikon batteries have a Sony badge so they make at least some of them.

Sony won't make an EN-EL15 shaped battery though, they just make the cells that power the battery.

The cells are the crucial part, decent Japanese Sanyo/Panasonic/Sony cells and you are good to go, cheap generic PRC variants less reliable! Good luck finding decent info on the type of cell in a third party battery :(

Sunrise from Mam Tor

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Hope Valley Inversions

Winnats Pass

Great set of images David, my preference would be for the last two.(y)

George.

Back