Nikon D750 & D780

Why's that then?

Had a clear night the night before last and the port for the remote only worked intermittently. It would fire a shot and I would check it on the LCD then it wouldn't fire again without taking the remote out and reinserting it. I have tried it again today and the issue is still occurring. I tried 2 remotes and they were both the same and they work flawlessly on my D7100. Have asked for a replacement rather than repair as it's new.

Had a clear night the night before last and the port for the remote only worked intermittently. It would fire a shot and I would check it on the LCD then it wouldn't fire again without taking the remote out and reinserting it. I have tried it again today and the issue is still occurring. I tried 2 remotes and they were both the same and they work flawlessly on my D7100. Have asked for a replacement rather than repair as it's new.

Are you sure the remote is fully compatible?

Are you sure the remote is fully compatible?

The D750 uses the same accessory port as the D7100, I couldn't replicate the problem yesterday and they were both working fine but just checked earlier and the problem was back. Just re checked and they are working fine again. So there is an intermittent fault with this port.

Talking about LR & PS, David you have just upgraded your puter what type of spec have you got now and is it working fine with file sizes and LR? I still have an old puter/ proccessor and I get annoyed and how slow it takes to load and move around in LR. So time for an upgrade, been looking at some i7 machines not sure they are worth the extra for me over a i5 machine for a happy shooter like me. I back up to an external and I have no critical photos which need further back ups. How are AMD proccessor's ??

Been looking at the ones below one, no SSD is that crucial for LR? I was thinking of adding an SSD if required by myself in the future as the seem cheap enough now from places like Crucial, providing it's easy to do.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-x31...-pc-intel-core-i7-12gb-ram-2tb-black/p2115932

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-550-059na-desktop-pc-white-10133647-pdt.html

Last edited:
I think im going LR, I only have a small SSD so going to get myself an external HD too.

Talking about LR & PS, David you have just upgraded your puter what type of spec have you got now and is it working fine with file sizes and LR? I still have an old puter/ proccessor and I get annoyed and how slow it takes to load and move around in LR. So time for an upgrade, been looking at some i7 machines not sure they are worth the extra for me over a i5 machine for a happy shooter like me. I back up to an external and I have no critical photos which need further back ups. How are AMD proccessor's ??

Been looking at the ones below one, no SSD is that crucial for LR? I was thinking of adding an SSD if required by myself in the future as the seem cheap enough now from places like Crucial, providing it's easy to do.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-x31...-pc-intel-core-i7-12gb-ram-2tb-black/p2115932

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-550-059na-desktop-pc-white-10133647-pdt.html

AFAIK Intel use less power, so cheaper to run an intel setup. Just buy according to your budget both i7 and i5 are good. SSD isnt crucial for LR photo storage but its a good idea to use one as a OS / Apps disk as it improves boot up and app opening / closing speed dramatically. SSD is is a piece of cake.

My D750 24-120 kit has just arrived :)

Probably won't get much chance to use it today but I have tomorrow off work so will confuse myself with it then

They have even be known to work in the dark from time-to-time. The shadow recovery is quite exceptional ! ;)

Hi Simon. I'd ordered the ram upgrade and then the MB went kaput so i had to replace that too. Can't say i've had any issues with the D750 files. I do need to add a SSD just to give it a little boost but everything is running A OK atm.

So thanks to the true gent that is Gary Coyle, I'm going to test out the d750 before I buy one.

First impressions - It feels lovely in the hand - that grip is great. The size is brilliant. I love the noise the shutter makes too.

I'll take some pics over the weekend and will probably end up ordering one on Sunday!!!

So thanks to the true gent that is Gary Coyle, I'm going to test out the d750 before I buy one.

First impressions - It feels lovely in the hand - that grip is great. The size is brilliant. I love the noise the shutter makes too.

I'll take some pics over the weekend and will probably end up ordering one on Sunday!!!

If you like all those aspects why worry about the pictures :exit:

@Swanseajack If youre on a budget look at these

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Poison-Ivy.html

Case is a bit OTT for some, but the spec for the money is very good. You can use your current win license with it as theres no OS preinstalled.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedy-CC...RAM-1TB-HDD-/111693690060?hash=item1a017674cc

Thanks for this.

The one on ebay looks good and you can upgrade on their drop down menu if needed. Ideally would like to spend around £500 as I have been a little excessive lately. New monitor, 2 bags, tripod & ballhead, nifty and the Sigma Macro (over a "G" there probably) This photography lark is expensive and I'm supposed to be saving for the 200-500mm Nikon, it will be this time next year the way I'm going. :D Plus, I got to tell her when she comes home, I have ordered her a new pressure washer today.:D

Thanks for this.

The one on ebay looks good and you can upgrade on their drop down menu if needed. Ideally would like to spend around £500 as I have been a little excessive lately. New monitor, 2 bags, tripod & ballhead, nifty and the Sigma Macro (over a "G" there probably) This photography lark is expensive and I'm supposed to be saving for the 200-500mm Nikon, it will be this time next year the way I'm going. :D Plus, I got to tell her when she comes home, I have ordered her a new pressure washer today.:D

If it were me, and you already have a decent screen, I'd be buying the cheap Mac mini. Buy the extra RAM from crucial to bring up to 16GB and you'd have a nice little reliable system.

If it were me, and you already have a decent screen, I'd be buying the cheap Mac mini. Buy the extra RAM from crucial to bring up to 16GB and you'd have a nice little reliable system.

I believe with the new minis the ram is soldered in and can't be upgraded?? I fancy trying Mac as I have phone and I pad.

I have the dell u2412m monitor which serves my needs, so okay there. Also is the keyboard and mouse extra with the mini???

I believe with the new minis the ram is soldered in and can't be upgraded?? I fancy trying Mac as I have phone and I pad.

I have the dell u2412m monitor which serves my needs, so okay there. Also is the keyboard and mouse extra with the mini???

The mac mini is 50 quid more and it's a 1.4ghz dual core vs the pc for 350 on ebay which has a 3.4ghz quad core.

The mini has 4gb ram the pc has 16gb.

The mini has a 500gb drive vs pc 1tb.

It's like a Ferrari vs a gti. Even more so when you take that 50 quid saving and buy an ssd for the pc.

This is the difference in processing power alone. Discounting more ram, and faster hdd.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4260U+@+1.40GHz&id=2238

Vs

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=intel+core+i5-4460+@+3.20ghz&id=2230

Last edited:
The mac mini is 50 quid more and it's a 1.4ghz dual core vs the pc for 350 on ebay which has a 3.4ghz quad core.

The mini has 4gb ram the pc has 16gb.

The mini has a 500gb drive vs pc 1tb.

It's like a Ferrari vs a gti. Even more so when you take that 50 quid saving and buy an ssd for the pc.

This is the difference in processing power alone. Discounting more ram, and faster hdd.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4260U+@+1.40GHz&id=2238

Vs

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=intel+core+i5-4460+@+3.20ghz&id=2230

The above does look better on paper, but.... still prefer mac OS, works far better than windows and they are just more reliable overall IMO and actual general processes are quicker. I'm sure a load of people will come along and disagree with that, but I wouldn't go back to a windows based machine again (though use them for work). MS continue to get their new launches wrong, 10 looks like the new Vista, and as for 8, well.....

Plus, if you do have other apple devices they just work together perfectly. There are some niggles, but overall the mac system is quicker & slicker, having ran them side-by-side for years.

My last PC was, on paper, far superior than the mac mini I replaced it with, but after 2 years it had become so slow that stitching a panorama together killed it. The mac just processes anything I throw at it (photography wise). The only purpose I can see an advantage for a windows based PC is for serious gaming.

Last edited:
The above does look better on paper, but.... still prefer mac OS, works far better than windows and they are just more reliable overall IMO and actual processes are quicker. I'm sure a load of people will come along and disagree with that, but I wouldn't go back to a windows based machine again (though use them for work). MS continue to get their new launches wrong, 10 looks like the new Vista, and as for 8, well.....

They use the same parts these days so they can't be more reliable. How does adobe cc work differently? Mail software, chrome, office, they're all the same.

There is no way that mac mini will do anything quicker than that pc. Perhaps if you were comparing a similar spec then yes osx can be more efficient at times... but that would cost a lot more.

Installed LR this evening, no idea how to use it! lol

And shiny stuff on its way tomorrow!

Need to get a zippy hard drive first - by SSD is too small!

Plus, if you do have other apple devices they just work together perfectly. There are some niggles, but overall the mac system is quicker & slicker, having ran them side-by-side for years.

My last PC was, on paper, far superior than the mac mini I replaced it with, but after 2 years it had become so slow that stitching a panorama together killed it. The mac just processes anything I throw at it (photography wise). The only purpose I can see an advantage for a windows based PC is for serious gaming.

I disagree. The mac can be simpler to use but that doesn't make it better. There must've been something up with that pc to die after 2 years. Nevermind, were all entitled to our opinions. :)

Last edited:
Going to have to agree to disagree twist on this one.

PC's just seem to clog up quickly; fill a hard drive by more than half and they start to crawl. No such problem with my 4 year old mini, works just like it were new. All PC's seem to have a 4 year shelf life, broad statement, but unless you start to really tinker with them they inevitably clog up, quickly. All those useless processes going on under the bonnet unnecessarily all the time.

Only problem I have is, that I use the mini with a Dell U2713H, which is hardware calibrated via windows, so a bit of a faff plugging into my windows based laptop to re-calibrate. That said, after a few months of use the monitor doesn't seem to lose it's calibration enough to be noticeable so I don't bother too often.

I do agree about the spec, I'd rather pay the extra for the £679 version for the processing power alone, but in the long run, it will last longer and maintain it's speed IMVHO.

Last edited:
Going to have to agree to disagree twist on this one.

PC's just seem to clog up quickly; fill a hard drive by more than half and they start to crawl. No such problem with my 4 year old mini, works just like it were new. All PC's seem to have a 4 year shelf life, broad statement, but unless you start to really tinker with them they inevitably clog up, quickly. All those useless processes going on under the bonnet unnecessarily all the time.

Only problem I have is, that I use the mini with a Dell U2713H, which is hardware calibrated via windows, so a bit of a faff plugging into my windows based laptop to re-calibrate. That said, after a few months of use the monitor doesn't seem to lose it's calibration enough to be noticeable so I don't bother too often.

I do agree about the spec, I'd rather pay the extra for the £679 version for the processing power alone, but in the long run, it will last longer and maintain it's speed IMVHO.

No need to tinker with a pc to maintain it. Just don't fill it with rubbish in the first place. Pretty simple really.

Reactions: JYC
Back