Nikon D750 & D780

Installed LR this evening, no idea how to use it! lol

And shiny stuff on its way tomorrow!
Plenty of videos on YouTube. Anthony Morganti does some really good LR tutorials for both total novice and advanced.

Going to have to agree to disagree twist on this one.

PC's just seem to clog up quickly; fill a hard drive by more than half and they start to crawl. No such problem with my 4 year old mini, works just like it were new. All PC's seem to have a 4 year shelf life, broad statement, but unless you start to really tinker with them they inevitably clog up, quickly. All those useless processes going on under the bonnet unnecessarily all the time.

Only problem I have is, that I use the mini with a Dell U2713H, which is hardware calibrated via windows, so a bit of a faff plugging into my windows based laptop to re-calibrate. That said, after a few months of use the monitor doesn't seem to lose it's calibration enough to be noticeable so I don't bother too often.

I do agree about the spec, I'd rather pay the extra for the £679 version for the processing power alone, but in the long run, it will last longer and maintain it's speed IMVHO.
I've found this too, although my PC's become unusable after 3 years for me. Once they slow I find that a fresh install only speeds it up for a month or so, but still never as fast as they were.
My MacBook Pro still runs as fast now as it did when I bought it 3.5 years ago. And for me the OS is soooooo much better than PC. Unless you're a programmer I can't understand why anyone prefers Windows OS, but I guess we're all different.

I don't see how a computer can get slower if you don't install loads of crapware onto it.

It's the same hardware underneath on both, so if you reinstall the OS @snerkler then there is no reason it wouldn't be fast as it was. That's just confirmation bias at work

I don't see how a computer can get slower if you don't install loads of crapware onto it.

It's the same hardware underneath on both, so if you reinstall the OS @snerkler then there is no reason it wouldn't be fast as it was. That's just confirmation bias at work

I find it pretty funny that certain people find using a pc so difficult, OSX Mac has the dock, Win has pin to taskbar 'dock'. Most of the software suites people use are the same which makes it an even stranger comment.

The mac mini is 50 quid more and it's a 1.4ghz dual core vs the pc for 350 on ebay which has a 3.4ghz quad core.

The mini has 4gb ram the pc has 16gb.

The mini has a 500gb drive vs pc 1tb.

It's like a Ferrari vs a gti. Even more so when you take that 50 quid saving and buy an ssd for the pc.

This is the difference in processing power alone. Discounting more ram, and faster hdd.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4260U+@+1.40GHz&id=2238

Vs

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=intel+core+i5-4460+@+3.20ghz&id=2230

The above does look better on paper, but.... still prefer mac OS, works far better than windows and they are just more reliable overall IMO and actual general processes are quicker. I'm sure a load of people will come along and disagree with that, but I wouldn't go back to a windows based machine again (though use them for work). MS continue to get their new launches wrong, 10 looks like the new Vista, and as for 8, well.....

Plus, if you do have other apple devices they just work together perfectly. There are some niggles, but overall the mac system is quicker & slicker, having ran them side-by-side for years.

My last PC was, on paper, far superior than the mac mini I replaced it with, but after 2 years it had become so slow that stitching a panorama together killed it. The mac just processes anything I throw at it (photography wise). The only purpose I can see an advantage for a windows based PC is for serious gaming.

Thanks for your inputs both.

I looked at the mid spec MacMini with i5 8gb and 1TB which is £569 plus theres another £130 on top for the mouse and keyboard, not sure what the Fusion model brings to the table for £799. Although I fancy trying a Mac to go with my iphone 6+ and ipad air and have even considered selling what I have and buying a bundle with monitor, but I think the prices are a little juicy for me at around £700 for the mid range mini. I feel for this type of money I will be into an i7 machine with more RAM, storage and possibly SSD already built in. If my numbers came in, I don't think I could resist giving a 5k version a go.

Thanks for your inputs both.

I looked at the mid spec MacMini with i5 8gb and 1TB which is £569 plus theres another £130 on top for the mouse and keyboard, not sure what the Fusion model brings to the table for £799. Although I fancy trying a Mac to go with my iphone 6+ and ipad air and have even considered selling what I have and buying a bundle with monitor, but I think the prices are a little juicy for me at around £700 for the mid range mini. I feel for this type of money I will be into an i7 machine with more RAM, storage and possibly SSD already built in. If my numbers came in, I don't think I could resist giving a 5k version a go.

If you dont fancy building yourself, something like this is good value for money. The only thing I would personally do is find out what PSU they are using and if its a no name jobby Id ask the builder to replace it for a branded version for very little extra. If you wanted it to be even faster you could install a SSD for £40 for your OS and apps, then use the 2TB for all your data.

For under £500, this setup is seriously fast and will be more than you need for a few years.
  • Intel i7 4790 Quad Core 3.6GHz Processor with 4.0GHz Turbo Clocking Speeds
  • 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
  • Intel HD 4600 Graphics
  • 2TB SATA Hard Drive
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i7-...op-Computer-/190971164895?hash=item2c76c4b8df

Also, theres no real concern regarding reliability of the build, its using branded products that all come with manufacturer warranty.

Yes got my win 7 license so no need to buy, can also upgrade to Win 10 if I want to. I have been holding off as there seems to be some teething problems with win10. Will have a good look round next week and see what I can get for my money, the one above again linked by @twist seems also to be good value and the one linked on previous page, which can be upgraded on drop down menu on page.

I may hold of a month or two and possibly up my budget slightly and get a seperate graphic card, built in SSD etc..... and over spec the machine to future proof myself as long as possible.

I may hold of a month or two and possibly up my budget slightly and get a seperate graphic card, built in SSD etc..... and over spec the machine to future proof myself as long as possible.

You could always add those yourself depending on what they quote for the SSD (120GB should be enough and under £50), unless youre gaming theres no major reason for the separate graphics card.

Last edited:
Yes, big question is whether you have enough know how to build your own or upgrade parts?

It's actually easy to learn to be fair, I'd recommend you giving it a go if you have a few hours to spare.

Yes, big question is whether you have enough know how to build your own or upgrade parts?

It's actually easy to learn to be fair, I'd recommend you giving it a go if you have a few hours to spare.

Building own can have a couple tricky bits but if he has a basic system already updating parts like SSD / RAM / Drives / GPU are basically plug n play. I found these system builders get the parts so cheap you basically get the thing built and delivered for part cost and sometimes even lower so that removes the self build part.

Last edited:
And here's me thinking that this was a D750 thread, not a computer thread !
Anyway, back to the D750. . .
I'm pretty sure I've convinced myself on the 750 over the 810, but have a question for any 750 owners please -
If you have a focus point selected, other than the centre point, and you move the camera from landscape to portrait orientation,
does the focus point move in relation to the camera position?

Thanks.
Gary.

I'm pretty sure I've convinced myself on the 750 over the 810, but have a question for any 750 owners please -
If you have a focus point selected, other than the centre point, and you move the camera from landscape to portrait orientation,

Thanks.
Gary.

yes if the setting is the menu is selected :D

Thanks.
Gary.

What setting is that then? Mine stays put but it would be good to know. Thanks.

These things happen, you dont have to read the posts :p

Turn this setting on by going to Menu, Custom Setting Menu, Autofocus, and turning “Store Points By Orientation” ON.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.
Seems like another tick in the box for the 750.

@Swanseajack look to see if you can source a Quad i7 Mac Mini from 2012 as that was the last batch of quads before they crippled them. You can upgrade the RAM and HDD them up. It just a matter of sourcing them.....

Good customer service from Panamoz, offered fix under warranty or replacement of my new D750. Obviously going for a new unit, the duff one gets picked up on Monday so it's back to the D7100 for a week......

I was on holiday earlier this year and noticed that some Nikon straps actually have the model number as well... there was a guy with a Nikon D610 strap.

Seemed to me like a weird thing to do, advertising your expensive camera to all local pickpockets in the area!

I was on holiday earlier this year and noticed that some Nikon straps actually have the model number as well... there was a guy with a Nikon D610 strap.

Seemed to me like a weird thing to do, advertising your expensive camera to all local pickpockets in the area!

He just wanted to look fabulous.

35mm arrived, tripod ordered. Shiny new stuff!!

Ok. Had a quick play after I picked kids up from school. Pretty impressed. Just waiting to get the files into LR to have a proper look. I might have to RTFM though to get my head around the highlight metering!

I'll post back later

Thanks.
Gary.

It definitely does. I try it out recently when photographing squirrels, it's a nifty idea but getting used to it was too hard. I'm just so used to having to change it myself when swapping orientations that I was moving the focus point all over the place and confusing myself! It's something I need to get used to by using more.

Back