Nikon D750 & D780

Never use that facility Vishal, prefer to just get on and keep shooting.(y)

"Purely a personal thing, but there's nothing you can do with the shot outside of PP later once it's taken (with the exception of static subjects etc) so you might just as well get on with the next shot before you miss it".

George.

Just force of habit I suppose.......I don't do every shot, maybe 50% of shots....

Just force of habit I suppose.......I don't do every shot, maybe 50% of shots....

Whatever works for you Vishal, is the way you should work. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same. What's right for one is not always right for another.(y)

George.

Frustrating going from instant previews, to ones that can take 5 seconds!

Will need to be looked into further!

Why cant you just press the playback button after a shot? When you need it? Seems more sensible than turning auto playback on and off when required.

Never use that facility Vishal, prefer to just get on and keep shooting.(y)

"Purely a personal thing, but there's nothing you can do with the shot outside of PP later once it's taken (with the exception of static subjects etc) so you might just as well get on with the next shot before you miss it".

George.

Agreed, dont use it either just slows the process down.
Agreed @twist, I find it particularly frustrating when the preview comes up when you were trying to shoot the next shot, or change settings for the next shot.
@G.K.Jnr. I use preview quite a lot using the 1:1 zoom on the focus point purely to check the image is sharp enough (obviously I don't do it on every one, especially if taking a series/using burst mode). Nothing worse for me getting back to find the shot was out of focus for some reason. Also, if I'm doing a series of shots I'll always check the first one to make sure exposure is right so I don't get back and have a dozen or so images with the wrong exposure ;)

Last edited:
Agreed @twist, I find it particularly frustrating when the preview comes up when you were trying to shoot the next shot, or change settings for the next shot.
@G.K.Jnr. I use preview a lot using the 1:1 zoom on the focus point to check the image is sharp enough. Nothing worse for me getting back to find the shot was out of focus for some reason. Also, if I'm doing a series of shots I'll always check the first one to make sure exposure is right so I don't get back and have a dozen or so images with the wrong exposure ;)

1:1 is incredibly useful, I believe the D600/610 doesnt have it. Another major + for me, it takes !!8!! zooms to get to 100% with the others.

Why cant you just press the playback button after a shot? When you need it? Seems more sensible than turning auto playback on and off when required.

It's habit that's all.....I could change my shooting style, probably for the better even if its only for battery performace, but this issue shouldn't arise in the first place :)

It's habit that's all.....I could change my shooting style, probably for the better even if its only for battery performace, but this issue shouldn't arise in the first place :)

Nikons just helping you be more efficient :p :D

Shutter of one of my D750's failed rather spectacularly an hour into a wedding last week, not good considering its only 6 months old and I guess at less than 30k clicks!

i-tdFQFFR-XL.jpg

Thumbs up for HDEW cameras, shutter replaced by their repairers in the UK and shipped back to me in bang on two weeks from sending it in. Total bill would have been £300 if it wasn't under warranty so not too bad for those that worry about high shutter counts.

Last edited:
Beautiful as always. Was having a nosey around your website earlier on today.

Fab stuff!

And much appreciated as always, David! Was just looking at the site myself and realising we haven't updated our portfolio in yonks! Gonna have to revamp a lot of the content over December!

Superb images Deci. Some of the shots look like they are taken from 'Prometheus'. What a lovely place to shoot.

Superb images Deci. Some of the shots look like they are taken from 'Prometheus'. What a lovely place to shoot.

Number 2 in the landscapes is Dettifoss, where they filmed the opening scene of Prometheus. Couldn't help thinking of Interstellar as well when walking around.

Looks like a Cotswold Aquarius bag Ed. A mouse managed to ruin one of mine, great bags though.
Cotswold Aquarius make good gear. The Snowbee's made from lighter material I would say. But mine's lasting well.

I took a walk up to Hampton Court Palace after work today, spent an hour with the 50mm 1.8g and the 18-35 3.5g, and I have to say I'm really happy with the 50, not so much the 18-35. I'm guessing the IQ difference is more noticeable on full frame? So I need some suggestions for a good wide angle prime?

Anyway, I'm in love with the D750. I'm not an experienced tog by any stretch, but I found myself bracketing long exposures with AF switched off and on self timer - on previous cameras I would have panicked thinking about how to do that, but tonight it just happened as second nature. Feels good [emoji3]

Anyway, here's one with the 50mm of the palace, this time of the year they light it up in changing colours.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448305556.060970.jpg

I took a walk up to Hampton Court Palace after work today, spent an hour with the 50mm 1.8g and the 18-35 3.5g, and I have to say I'm really happy with the 50, not so much the 18-35. I'm guessing the IQ difference is more noticeable on full frame? So I need some suggestions for a good wide angle prime?

What did you not like with the 18-35g? I read it us a great lens and sharp at all focal lengths. I am considering to pick this up if I can't save enough for a fast wide angle zoom.

What did you not like with the 18-35g? I read it us a great lens and sharp at all focal lengths. I am considering to pick this up if I can't save enough for a fast wide angle zoom.

That's what I read, and on its own it is good, but compared side by side with the 50 it looked meh - if you know what I mean!??

Maybe I should do a proper daylight side by side test, but I know I won't, as when I have a feeling I normally follow it!

Ooooooo, love the bokeh rings [emoji3]

(Maybe I should try the 18-35 again tomorrow...)

Wasn't sure whether the coloured lights worked or whether i should go for some warm white ones?

It works mate! :)

Just a thought though... I wonder what it'd look like if you dangled the rings down into that circle of coloured lights at the bottom left of the picture. (assuming that you can recreate the setting) :)

I'm not sure about the bokeh shot tbh, I don't know if it's the composition or that the rings and string/ribbon don't go with the coloured bokeh :confused: The shoe shot is cool though.

Edit: OK, so I"m getting used to the ring shot a bit. It is a good shot ;)

Last edited:
Ooooooo, love the bokeh rings [emoji3]

(Maybe I should try the 18-35 again tomorrow...)

Yeah surprised by your finding the 18-35 not to be good, its generally regarded as a stellar lens, I much prefer it to either the 16-35 I've had (had a couple actually) or indeed the new 20mm f1.8G lens, pretty close to looking at picking up another 18-35 actually!

Back