Nikon D750 & D780

Maybe a tiny bit off topic but I was looking into those cool star trail videos and how they are done. Turns out, it's easier than I first thought...

You don't need a moonless night, use it to light up a bit of foreground interest. Taken under a Quarter moon behind the tripod.
1 hour 240 files @ 15secs f2.8 ISO400

148GannelStarTrail59MinsPS2 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
I am actually interested in this lens as a landscape and then wide angle for weddings.

I usually shoot 35/85 but 35 is sometime not wide enough and 85 a bit tight, especially if indoors.

I am thinking a 24/58 combo with a 70-200 either F2.8 or even F4 in my bag just incase, for when I really need length. Would be interested in any thought son the 24. Couldn't find much in the way of flickr groups to look through sample? Anyone seen anything?

To be honest I'd never heard of it until I read the fstoppers review of the new Sigma 20mm, which indicates it's another great 1.8G.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sig...-no-competition-unless-you-shoot-nikon-101810

20mm is too wide for me but a reasonably priced (compared to the 1.4) 24mm would be perfect to accompany my 58mm.

To be honest I'd never heard of it until I read the fstoppers review of the new Sigma 20mm, which indicates it's another great 1.8G.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sig...-no-competition-unless-you-shoot-nikon-101810

20mm is too wide for me but a reasonably priced (compared to the 1.4) 24mm would be perfect to accompany my 58mm.
Looks a nice lens. What would you do with attaching filters as the hood is built on? The nikon 20mm and 24mm have screw threads don't they?

Last edited:
Looks a nice lens. What would you do with attaching filters as the hood is built on? The nikon 20mm and 24mm have screw threads don't they?

The Nikon's have a standard thread, the Sigma 20 is like the Nikon 14-24, it would need a special filter kit to use filters with it

After a long slog up at the NEC, I finally managed to pick up the camera again ... It`s beginning to look a lot like Christmas :)

Little Red Truck by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Great shot Paul, well composed & lit. Be nice on the front of a Christmas card.(y)

George.

After a long slog up at the NEC, I finally managed to pick up the camera again ... It`s beginning to look a lot like Christmas :)

Little Red Truck by Paulie-W, on Flickr

I have to say that I like the shot a lot, but dislike the "bokeh", as it is a bit "onion-like".
Can I ask what lens? I know it's a 35mm f1.4, but which one?

It's the Siggy. Maybe the lights were onion shaped... :whistle:

Oh, OK. I didn't think the Siggy gave the "rings" inside the OOF lights.
Normally I like the bokeh off that lens.
Maybe it's something to do with the lights after all !

Thanks for that.
I've never shot fairy lights before, maybe I should !
Might be something to do on a rainy day.

Tbh its not an interest of mine either. Ive not seen it in any of my shots even at 1:1 under normal conditions.

Tbh its not an interest of mine either. Ive not seen it in any of my shots even at 1:1 under normal conditions.

Me neither.
Curious now to do an onion comparison investigation between my 85, 105 and 135.
These are my "bokeh machines!"

Some will know I've been trying to get my head around 'product' lighting, and thought I'd jump in at the deep end with nice reflective glass bottles (y). Doubly tricky in that I only have one speedlight and one softbox so in order to get light from both sides I have to take two shots and stitch them in photoshop. As I don't have a reflector or anything like I had to light the front of the bottle using the pop up flash diffused with kitchen roll :LOL:

Anyway far from perfect, just a bit of fun ;)

Henderson's Bottles
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Strong and Northern
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some will know I've been trying to get my head around 'product' lighting, and thought I'd jump in at the deep end with nice reflective glass bottles (y). Doubly tricky in that I only have one speedlight and one softbox so in order to get light from both sides I have to take two shots and stitch them in photoshop. As I don't have a reflector or anything like I had to light the front of the bottle using the pop up flash diffused with kitchen roll :LOL:

Anyway far from perfect, just a bit of fun ;)

Henderson's Bottles
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Strong and Northern
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Well done mate. That sounds like a terrible combination.

Well done mate. That sounds like a terrible combination.
Thanks. I'll get round to getting some more gear one day to make my life easier :LOL:

I have to say that I like the shot a lot, but dislike the "bokeh", as it is a bit "onion-like".
Can I ask what lens? I know it's a 35mm f1.4, but which one?

Cheers mate
I think it maybe due to the bright lights on the xmas tree. The room was pretty dark.

Also had the dilemma of what to get for my WA stuff. In the end, opted for a lens that I had always hankered after as a Canon user. I had wanted a 24 1.4 and the Samyang 14 but struggled over the filter dillema. Then I realised that I hadn't used my filters for an age so got the 14-24 after all. Must say I've had most of them and it's on a different level for a WA. Don't really need anything quicker at the moment and I have the flexibility. Happy for now as its stopped any GAS pangs for along time.

That 58 though....

Last edited:
Both excellent sets David!

These are why you shouldn't sell your soul for the 58mm. Great work.

Back