Nikon D750 & D780

Nikon already make a 135 f2. The DC.
Awesome lens. One of the best.

Mark, i just bought a forest pass for about £25. Thing is, timing is key. We left at midnight and i thought he was crazy! The first car wasn't through until 7.30am. We arrived at 4am and it was heaving with spectators. I couldn't believed. We reccy'd the stage for good spots and due to the weather, the best splashes. Got into place about 6.45am. Had a bite to eat and a quick drink and the first car was on us! Problem is, the best ones come through first. No settings dialled in, no idea what we were shooting and the outcome etc. And they're gone in 2 seconds. Unbelievable action. Gartheiniog had two runs through with the nationals and historics coming through afterwards so it was a good day of action. Another issue is trying to fit a few stages into one day. With 2016's event being run in October it will give you a bit of extra time to shoot into the evening as they do a few late stages too. Travelling and parking is horrendous so allow yourself plenty of time. Sleeping in the car or a tent would be a good idea if you're up for it. The parking for Gartheiniog stretched for about 3 mile on the side of one of the forest roads. My cousin got caught out and arrived at 7am. He missed the front runners.

Planning is key. Look into which stages you want to cover. Great Orme is a nice different looking stage with coastal views and great scenery. The helicopter also pays them a visit if the weather is fit which adds more drama to the shots imo. It's a small stage though and a fair trek from the other forest based stages. The Chirk Castle stage is a bit messy for good shots. A lot of tape, cones, barriers etc and it's very much penned in spectating.

Get to a few other events first and get your eye in and hone your technique. I'm nailing a shed load this year so we'll see if i can improve ready for next years.

@GHP i know they do mate. (y)

Mark, i just bought a forest pass for about £25. Thing is, timing is key. We left at midnight and i thought he was crazy! The first car wasn't through until 7.30am. We arrived at 4am and it was heaving with spectators. I couldn't believed. We reccy'd the stage for good spots and due to the weather, the best splashes. Got into place about 6.45am. Had a bite to eat and a quick drink and the first car was on us! Problem is, the best ones come through first. No settings dialled in, no idea what we were shooting and the outcome etc. And they're gone in 2 seconds. Unbelievable action. Gartheiniog had two runs through with the nationals and historics coming through afterwards so it was a good day of action. Another issue is trying to fit a few stages into one day. With 2016's event being run in October it will give you a bit of extra time to shoot into the evening as they do a few late stages too. Travelling and parking is horrendous so allow yourself plenty of time. Sleeping in the car or a tent would be a good idea if you're up for it. The parking for Gartheiniog stretched for about 3 mile on the side of one of the forest roads. My cousin got caught out and arrived at 7am. He missed the front runners.

Planning is key. Look into which stages you want to cover. Great Orme is a nice different looking stage with coastal views and great scenery. The helicopter also pays them a visit if the weather is fit which adds more drama to the shots imo. It's a small stage though and a fair trek from the other forest based stages. The Chirk Castle stage is a bit messy for good shots. A lot of tape, cones, barriers etc and it's very much penned in spectating.

Get to a few other events first and get your eye in and hone your technique. I'm nailing a shed load this year so we'll see if i can improve ready for next years.

@GHP i know they do mate. (y)

You must have a very understanding other half!!

Sorry GHP, I should have made it clear that I was talking about an update to the D :confused: Saying that, I keep being told it's an absolutely brilliant lens so there's got to be something in that!

Dave, that's an awesome answer, thanks for taking your time for typing such a long-winded answer. We have roughed it in the car a few times so it looks like we'd have to do that again to be there on time!

Thinking about it more, I'm convinced now that I'd be using both my zooms rather than primes as I think I'd get caught out. I reckon we'd have to go for a couple of days as well. It sounds like a good excuse to buy a D4s!!!

You mean D5... ;)

The D750 and D7k never missed a beat tbh mate. I would have liked a 70-200 but i can't afford it atm but i was quite surprised at how good the 85 is for fast paced stuff when comparing AF speed with the 24-70.

You mean D5... ;)

....don't even go there, please! A D5 would knock down used D4s's so that's what I'm gunning for! It's a good job I don'tI have to justify my purchases with my wife, I have enough problems arguing with myself over buying stuff!

I have a lot of time for the D7k. That's the camera that got me kick-started properly into DSLRs and what I really cut my teeth on.

Not sure if you've looked but there is a couple of good WRC threads in the motorsport section. Worth a look if you haven't already.

I'll have a nosey later, thanks. I'd never considered WRC until I saw those shots in this thread :cool:.

I might drop this conversation now so we can get back on-topic for the D750! Sorry everyone!

153 AF points with a wider spread. ISO 102,400 - [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Great set of images Andrew @AndyFo , good comp' and well handled exposure with detail in the shadows & highlights. (y)

George.

Do you guys use any form of screen protector?

I have a GGS one on my X100S which works well. I am used to the clip on one for my 700 but I doubt there is one for the 750 due to the flippy screen but I may be wrong??

Nice set Andy, and pic 2 is a cracker, whats the building coming out of the roofline, it reminds me of a Rubic Cube. Like the mix of old and new.

Took my D750 along with the Nikon 24-120 on a quick overnight to Strasbourg this week. Wasn't too impressed with 24-120 on its first outing as didn't seem that sharp but was using mainly wide open. only had about 40minutes to capture a few long exposure night shots
but much happier with the outcome.

Strasbourg-10-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Strasbourg-3-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Strasbourg-7-Edit.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Love the colours produced in shot 2.

I
Nice set Andy, and pic 2 is a cracker, whats the building coming out of the roofline, it reminds me of a Rubic Cube. Like the mix of old and new.
That is the Strasbourg Museum of Modern & Contemporary Art, bit of a contrast to the Old Covered Bridge and my first thought was to maybe clone it out but then it's not really a true capture of that part of the city so decided to leave it in. I couldnt frame up so as to miss it as there was a railing right below the camera so couldn't get any lower.

Andy - love 1 and 2, great depth in them.

David - superb location and images, no 1 works really well.

[emoji106][emoji106]

Half price Harrods decoration... couldn't resist this little chap!

20151213-DSC_1783_zps48eokgyu.jpg

Geminids meteor shower peaks tonight 13,14/12/2015

A heads up for anyone that didn't know. Got clear skies for a change so hopefully get to catch a few on camera. :)

edit I added this in Night & Astro but thought I'd add it here just for people that don't look in that section.

December 13, 14 - Geminids Meteor Shower. The Geminids is the king of the meteor showers. It is considered by many to be the best shower in the heavens, producing up to 120 multicolored meteors per hour at its peak. It is produced by debris left behind by an asteroid known as 3200 Phaethon, which was discovered in 1982. The shower runs annually from December 7-17. It peaks this year on the night of the 13th and morning of the 14th. The crescent moon will set early in the evening leaving dark skies for what should be an excellent show. Best viewing will be from a dark location after midnight. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Gemini, but can appear anywhere in the sky.

Can't even see a few feet in front of me here!! Not impressed, can't they turn the light trails up on them.......? [emoji51]

Trying to do a small signature in the cornel/middle but finding such a small task so damn hard! Its choosing a font and where to place it that is driving me crazy. Such a simple thing is doing my nut in!

The high iso of the D750 will be getting put through it's paces properly next week. I have a wedding to shoot on the 23rd, with a 4pm ceremony..

Trying to do a small signature in the cornel/middle but finding such a small task so damn hard! Its choosing a font and where to place it that is driving me crazy. Such a simple thing is doing my nut in!
Been there, done that, tried all sorts, decided not to bother with anything o_O

Back