Nikon D750 & D780

I tried using LV at a karting event, I had the camera on the ground facing a line of oncoming karts, but could not get the AF to pick out the leading driver, so gave up, I thought it was just me .

I tried using LV at a karting event, I had the camera on the ground facing a line of oncoming karts, but could not get the AF to pick out the leading driver, so gave up, I thought it was just me .
Nope LV is slow for static subject let alone moving ones. I've never tried it on something that's moving but I'd assume if it's moving faster than a snail it won't lock on ;)

I have a problem- will any tc's work with this and allow auto focus on my d750??
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454611100.314948.jpg

I have a problem- will any tc's work with this and allow auto focus on my d750??
View attachment 56079
It's already f5.6 so you'll only be able to use the 1.4x TC which will make it f8. I can't recall off the top of my head which AF points on the D750 are f8 compatible though, someone will be along soon to confirm ;) How well the 80-400mm works with a TC I don't know though.

Last edited:
View attachment 56079

That lens seems a little hit and miss from the reviews I have seen. The 200-500 maybe a better option and will take the 1.4TC. The new 300mm PF is supposed to be very good as is the old one I have, which is a bargain at around £500 SH.

That lens seems a little hit and miss from the reviews I have seen. The 200-500 maybe a better option and will take the 1.4TC. The new 300mm PF is supposed to be very good as is the old one I have, which is a bargain at around £500 SH.
200-500's a good shout, and cheaper too.

You certainly know how to make that 24-85 shine !
Great shots, with spot on exposure.
Love them.

You certainly know how to make that 24-85 shine !
Great shots, with spot on exposure.
Love them.

Thanks. I like the 24-85 VR for my travel needs as a one lens solution. I am still itching for a stabilised slightly wider zoom for church interiors as tripods are not allowed.

My widest lens at present is 35mm !
I have gone away from zooms to primes, but have need of a wide, and will possibly get a zoom, as it's not something I think I would use often.
Hoping to try the 16-35 vr soon with a friend of mine who has one.

Thanks. I like the 24-85 VR for my travel needs as a one lens solution. I am still itching for a stabilised slightly wider zoom for church interiors as tripods are not allowed.

I'd always disregarded the 24-85 but your shots are proving me wrong!!! Really need to decide what I want to do, 58mm has gone back (seemed a poor copy) and torn between picking up some combo of primes or just the good ol' Tamron 24-70... but I have to say I think a cheap 24-85 if I can find one might be a good travel solution!!

I'd always disregarded the 24-85 but your shots are proving me wrong!!! Really need to decide what I want to do, 58mm has gone back (seemed a poor copy) and torn between picking up some combo of primes or just the good ol' Tamron 24-70... but I have to say I think a cheap 24-85 if I can find one might be a good travel solution!!

As you said, you need to decide what you want to shoot and which lens you think will suit your purpose. For travel purpose, the options are primes (you'd carry more than one), budget standard zooms like 24-85, 24-120, wider zooms in 15-35 range (you'd loose long end) and pro zooms (24-70 2.8)

Did you check the 24-120 VR?

If you get a good copy, the Tamron 24-70 2.8 will be ideal as that extra stop will help, but I know people who had to send a few back before getting a good copy. I tried the lens at the Tamron event in London, but it was back focusing. Going to India in Mar and a friend has the Nikon version. Will test for a few days and compare against the 24-85.

The 24-85 VR on the other hand does not have 2.8, but it is lighter, has better centre sharpness and excellent contrast and colour for a lens that costs half of the Tamron and I know what to expect including how to work with its limitations. And at times that extra 15mm could be useful for casual portraits, you won't have the creamy background blur, but you can get decent results while travelling. I have taken quite a few portraits with my family and here's one of a colleague taken recently.

Marc
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

As you said, you need to decide what you want to shoot and which lens you think will suit your purpose. For travel purpose, the options are primes (you'd carry more than one), budget standard zooms like 24-85, 24-120, wider zooms in 15-35 range (you'd loose long end) and pro zooms (24-70 2.8)

If you get a good copy, the Tamron 24-70 2.8 will be ideal as that extra stop will help, but I know people who had to send a few back before getting a good copy. I tried the lens at the Tamron event in London, but it was back focusing. Going to India in Mar and a friend has the Nikon version. Will test for a few days and compare against the 24-85.

The 24-85 VR on the other hand does not have 2.8, but it is lighter, has better centre sharpness and excellent contrast and colour for a lens that costs half of the Tamron and I know what to expect including how to work with its limitations. And at times that extra 15mm could be useful for casual portraits, you won't have the creamy background blur, but you can get decent results while travelling. I have taken quite a few portraits with my family and here's one of a colleague taken recently.

Marc
It's got really good detail that lens hasn't it (y)

Marc

You better hold onto that 24-85, I think you must have the sharpest copy in the world lol

Since I got mine, its pretty much been my go to lens. Its light, fast AF, and the VR works very well. I think a lot of review online mark it down as its a 'kit lens' but its a very good one! And not going to f5.6 like most kit lenses is a bonus.

Gents. Im not a Nikon shooter and after foolishly getting rid of my 5D3 I'm looking for a camera for landscape and night photography, star trails Milky Way etc. I know all about the D750s dynamic range at low ISO and how much shadow detail you can recover but what is it like at high ISO up to say 6400. Does it have the same clean shadows or do they suffer with the high ISO. I've looked on line but can't seem to find any examples of high ISO dynamic range. Cheers

Gents. Im not a Nikon shooter and after foolishly getting rid of my 5D3 I'm looking for a camera for landscape and night photography, star trails Milky Way etc. I know all about the D750s dynamic range at low ISO and how much shadow detail you can recover but what is it like at high ISO up to say 6400. Does it have the same clean shadows or do they suffer with the high ISO. I've looked on line but can't seem to find any examples of high ISO dynamic range. Cheers
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 14.40.43.png

You better hold onto that 24-85, I think you must have the sharpest copy in the world lol
Hahaha...I will only trade it for a good copy of stablised 2.8 zoom.

Since I got mine, its pretty much been my go to lens. Its light, fast AF, and the VR works very well. I think a lot of review online mark it down as its a 'kit lens' but its a very good one! And not going to f5.6 like most kit lenses is a bonus.
You are right, several reviewers has written it off as a 'Kit' lens, but I find it surprisingly excellent value.

If any of you follow Gordon Lang's review of lenses, see his take on the 24-85 VR below. This was one review that led me to sell the 28-105 and buy this one.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_24-85mm_f3-5-4-5G_ED_VR/

A mention on the premium lens compariso
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_vs_Tamron_24-70mm_comparison/verdict.shtml

and he suggests the 24-85 is better value against the 24-120.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_24-120mm_f4G_ED_VR/verdict.shtml

My widest lens at present is 35mm !
I have gone away from zooms to primes, but have need of a wide, and will possibly get a zoom, as it's not something I think I would use often.
Hoping to try the 16-35 vr soon with a friend of mine who has one.

I quite liked the 16-35 but have always hankered after the 14-24 so made that switch.. IMO the latter is sharper, it's just a shame that it's my least used lens, really haven't used it much at all, but at some point I will. Of course, depends whether you use filters too. I hadn't used filters for along time so selling those helped to fund the lens. My other logic was that I wanted either a fast 24 and probably a 14 Samyang, it pretty much does most of what those two lenses would have offered me.It was one of those, once I have one, I'll probably have it for ever buys, so made sense.

Tamron 35/45 looks really good actually... maybe not Sigma 35 good (and and basically the same cost) but look good!
I tried them both at the Tamron event and they are pretty good to hold and shoot. The min focussing distance is a huge advantage over competition. And VC is always an advantage.

I quite liked the 16-35 but have always hankered after the 14-24 so made that switch.. IMO the latter is sharper, it's just a shame that it's my least used lens, really haven't used it much at all, but at some point I will. Of course, depends whether you use filters too. I hadn't used filters for along time so selling those helped to fund the lens. My other logic was that I wanted either a fast 24 and probably a 14 Samyang, it pretty much does most of what those two lenses would have offered me.It was one of those, once I have one, I'll probably have it for ever buys, so made sense.

I know that the 14-24 is a razor sharp lens, but it's the lack of (affordable) filters which I think would put me off.
I'm thinking of getting into landscapes, so want a decent lens for that.
I have gone down the primes route for the rest of my kit, but for landscapes, was thinking flexibility of a zoom.
(If it was a prime I would probably go for the Zeiss 21mm)
I will try the 16-35 off my friend, but wouldn't mind also trying the 18-35 also.
Decisions, decisions.

Back