Nikon D750 & D780

Rob,
I just moved mine on but it worked perfectly fine with the D750, also with the 1.4 TC.

(I've just noticed the map thing, I'm down in Chatham Kent, right next to Rochester Airport ).

That's good to know. The 300 f4 I had before was a cracker, it was sharp and good fast focus. I've just had a look at the prices they have gone for over the last few months in classifieds and it's lower than I thought. I'm guessing they have now settled out since the release of the 300 f4 PF. I was looking at hiring a 300 f4 PF for a week but I'm now thinking I would be better to buy a good used 300 f4 as I could get a lot longer 'hire' period. There doesn't seem to be enough difference between the non VR and the new PF VR model except weight, size and double the cost to really justify it, the 300 f4 af-s seems a bargain.

Does anyone use the Nikon 300mm f4 af-s (non vr) on their D750? I'm tempted to downgrade for weight/costs/insufficient use reasons but want a replacement to get me around 300-400mm. I had a Nikon 300 f4 af-s previously and it was a great lens. I have heard rumours some 300 f4 's don't play nicely with the d750. Another option maybe a sigma 300 f2.8 but their previous quality control worries me slightly.

@Swanseajack uses one, all his recent bird pics have been with one.

I bought mine of Bill over Christmas time and I haven't had any problems, neither did he on his D750. Myself and @u8myufo had problems with Kenko TC's. I bought the Nikon 1.4ii last week and I know Bill and Rich also used the Nikon one without problems. So that maybe where you heard of issues???

I had one on my D7100 and its a lot nicer on the D750 and I haven't noticed any loss in AF speed or IQ using the 1.4tc.

A few recent pics as mentioned by David @minnnt to save you searching back.

1st with Nikon 1.4 TC, others bare. All pics taken through back door double glazing.

A wet Coal Tit. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Long Tail Tit. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Blue Tit in some winter sun by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Need some help and guidance from the experienced lot here

A couple of weeks ago, I have been asked by my company if I’d be happy to take headshots, half body and full body portraits of staff in London for our 25th year magazine. I think I will say yes as it will be fun and the HR team liked the shots I took as a test with my 24-85 VR. We are planning to shoot both inside office and outside.

Now, comes the lens choice on my D750. If this goes ahead, I can rent any lens with expenses paid by company, but I am not sure which lens I should use.
I have the 85 F1.8G and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC that I bought for a friend last month and is with me until mid Feb till his return to UK (damn, that thing is seriously heavy). I shot a couple of models with the Tamron recently and will see how they turned up.

I think my 70-200 F4 that I sold few days ago would have been a good choice as it does not focus breath for headshots. I can always rent one for this purpose.
Any recommendations on lenses to rent for my D750 for the above requirement? I

To all who use these heavy 70-200 2.8 with VR/VC/OS
What avg shutter speed do you use in handheld mode in the following conditions to shoot kids/people/models between 135-200 mm with VR?
  • Standing and posing – outside or in studio/office
  • Kids running or riding a bike

A couple of weeks ago, I have been asked by my company if I’d be happy to take headshots, half body and full body portraits of staff in London for our 25th year magazine. I think I will say yes as it will be fun and the HR team liked the shots I took as a test with my 24-85 VR. We are planning to shoot both inside office and outside.

Now, comes the lens choice on my D750. If this goes ahead, I can rent any lens with expenses paid by company, but I am not sure which lens I should use.
I have the 85 F1.8G
and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC that I bought for a friend last month and is with me until mid Feb till his return to UK (damn, that thing is seriously heavy). I shot a couple of models with the Tamron recently and will see how they turned up.

I think my 70-200 F4 that I sold few days ago would have been a good choice as it does not focus breath for headshots. I can always rent one for this purpose.

What avg shutter speed do you use in handheld mode in the following conditions to shoot kids/people/models between 135-200 mm with VR?

85mm is pretty decent for headshots etc. don't think you need anything else tbh. A 70-200 while it would give you nice separation may keep you too far away from your subject to direct them adequately so my vote goes with the 85mm. Would worry less about lenses and worry more about how you are going to light it.

As for the shutter speed question it largely depends on conditions but with careful effort I can go down to about 1/30 with the Tamron 70-200 v.c if I absolutely have too. I do know others however who are happy to shoot at 1/15 but I don't have the technique for that. Obviously for kids running etc. you are going to need to be a lot faster anything around 1/200 and above should be fine.

Interesting you should describe the Tamron as heavy I guess it depends on what you are used too, I consider it to be quite a light weight lens.

Last edited:
85mm is pretty decent for headshots etc. don't think you need anything else tbh. A 70-200 while it would give you nice separation may keep you too far away from your subject to direct them adequately so my vote goes with the 85mm. Would worry less about lenses and worry more about how you are going to light it.

As for the shutter speed question it largely depends on conditions but with careful effort I can go down to about 1/30 with the Tamron 70-200 v.c if I absolutely have too. I do know others however who are happy to shoot at 1/15 but I don't have the technique for that. Obviously for kids running etc. you are going to need to be a lot faster anything around 1/200 and above should be fine.
Interesting you should describe the Tamron as heavy I guess it depends on what you are used too, I consider it to be quite a light weight lens.

85mm. End of story.

Thanks guys. I thought of the 85mm too and it is a great lens. I shot a few test shots in office and around the balcony with the 24-85 and like the 85 focal length with the possibility of adding shallow dof with the 85. I am planning to use natural light for outside and a soft box with couple of flashes (one for separation/rim light)

Re tamron 70-200 VC, My heaviest lens was the 70-200 F4 and it had quite a good balance on the D750. I find the Tamron bit heavy for my liking as I am not used to it, I will post some shots taken with the Tamron tonight.

You can rent ANY lens?
Borrow an 85mm 1.4 for the week. Or higher out a lens you want to try and just use your 85 :banana:

Hahaha...I will be given a budget of £100-£150 to rent lens and lighting. I can stretch it if needed. Will do a test with the 85 and if that is I all I need, I will just rent the soft box and flashes.

Well, needless to say, I am very impressed with my shiny new 750 !
Just the few test shots I've taken so far show the amazing DR and focus.
I'm going to take a few shots with all of my lenses just to see if any fine tuning is needed (I can almost guarantee the 135 will need fiddling with!)
Then I can get out and shoot !
YAY !

Lol. 800mm f5.6 and a D5. Perfik.
Just checked Calumet rental and I can get the D4s and 85 1.4G within £150 and can get the rest under £200, but don't want to learn using a new camera now ;). Happy with my trusty D750.

Thanks guys. I thought of the 85mm too and it is a great lens. I shot a few test shots in office and around the balcony with the 24-85 and like the 85 focal length with the possibility of adding shallow dof with the 85. I am planning to use natural light for outside and a soft box with couple of flashes (one for separation/rim light)

Re tamron 70-200 VC, My heaviest lens was the 70-200 F4 and it had quite a good balance on the D750. I find the Tamron bit heavy for my liking as I am not used to it, I will post some shots taken with the Tamron tonight.

Hahaha...I will be given a budget of £100-£150 to rent lens and lighting. I can stretch it if needed. Will do a test with the 85 and if that is I all I need, I will just rent the soft box and flashes.

As a bare minimum for the outdoor shots using a reflector will really help.

I have the 85 F1.8G and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC that I bought for a friend last month and is with me until mid Feb till his return to UK (damn, that thing is seriously heavy). I shot a couple of models with the Tamron recently and will see how they turned up.

85mm, unless of course you're doing group shots too in which case I'd take a 35mm too. Shutter speed? As above it depends on subject and focal length. If there's enough light without silly ISO I still stick to 1/FL on the 70-200mm f2.8 even with VR, plus it helps to eliminate subject movement even if they're sat. For runners I tend to use 1/1000 unless light is really bad. For bikes it depends. 1/50-1/150 if I want to show movement, or 1/1000 if not.

Here's couple of shots taken with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC USD. I have taken some more shots, but too lazy to go through them and process. Wife is already after me to complete processing our pics from Italy and i still have not processed images from other trips going back 2-3 years :D

This is a headshot of Anna

Anna Marie by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

This one is of Zara. The photographer was using three different lights and feathers for a creative effect and was shooting from the left. I was sat on the first row of chairs around 12-15 feet away shooting frames with available hotel lights lights, the DR of the D750 came in extremely handy.

Zara
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

Something off with the picture or upload quality but not quite sure exactly what the issue is

I'll have another look at the raw file its was shot at 1.8 1/50 sec auto iso and white balance with matrix metering.

Here's couple of shots taken with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC USD. I have taken some more shots, but too lazy to go through them and process. Wife is already after me to complete processing our pics from Italy and i still have not processed images from other trips going back 2-3 years :D

This is a headshot of Anna

Anna Marie by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

This one is of Zara. The photographer was using three different lights and feathers for a creative effect and was shooting from the left. I was sat on the first row of chairs around 12-15 feet away shooting frames with available hotel lights lights, the DR of the D750 came in extremely handy.

Zara
Nice pics. Being extra critical the PP on the second is a bit OTT for my tastes as we're almost getting into looking like a painting imo, but of course everyone's tastes are different ;) A nice shot nonetheless :)

Nice pics. Being extra critical the PP on the second is a bit OTT for my tastes as we're almost getting into looking like a painting imo, but of course everyone's tastes are different ;) A nice shot nonetheless :)
Agree with you on the 2nd one. The original shot is green with dark patches with fluorescent lighting. I had only two options - mono or try my pp skills. I am not great with pp, but like the image. Will try again to reduce the painting look.

Ani, if you want to borrow the 70-200 back for a few weeks just ask [emoji106]
Gregg, appreciate and many thanks for the kind offer and this is why forums like this are great with some awesome people.[emoji106][emoji106]

I think I will be fine with the 85mm. Will do some reading to see if any other lens could be useful and get it rented through office.

All with the 85mm at F2.

Thanks David for the 85mm pics :)

Here's one I took with the Tamron 70-200 VC at 2.8. First time used outdoor and love the bokeh even at 110mm. Now I see the advantage of a 70-200 2.8 over a F4 :). I wish this was as light as the F4 lens, but then we get into physics.

Sohini

There is a halo around her, have you bought the exposure up on her or darkened the background?

I don't think there is much between F2.8 and F4 tbh, compression is the biggest contributer.
Crikey you have good eyes/viewing on a much better monitor than me ;)

Back