Nikon D750 & D780

It just rotated around the D-ring and flapped about because of that.

The slide strap is connected to the camera at 2 points, not just one so is held more securely.
Yep I did like the two point thing tbh. Now if they only did one with a padded strap ;) (obviously they'd have to find a way for the camera to slide rather than the strap)

I have the need for something new... but it needs to be dirt cheap! Any cheapo lenses out there that are fun to use - I'm talking cheap mans cheap lol!

I have the need for something new... but it needs to be dirt cheap! Any cheapo lenses out there that are fun to use - I'm talking cheap mans cheap lol!
28-105mm D or 50mm f1.8d?

Not posted any bird pics for a week or so................

Whilst having my valentines breakfast, a slice of toast:(. Clare seen a pair of Red Kites come close to the house, grabbed camera and caught some of them going over my neighbours trees. I took off my 1.4TC yesterday and forgot to put back on lens, so would possibly had better photos with less cropping.

I get them a couple of times a week close to the house but theses are the best I have had so far. Missed focus a on a few as the 300mm F4 lens is a bit too heavy for me handholding.

Red Kite over House this morning. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Cheapest thing is just to use what you already have? :p You keep changing your kit around but why do you think buying something dirt cheap is going to be the answer to your prayers? It won't be! Save the cash :D

I have decided to purchase a lightweight zoom ready for after my shoulder and elbow ops next week and have got it down to the 24-85mm f2.8-f4.0 and the newer one with VR. The f2.8 lens can be had for around £200 SH and seems bit of a bargain and when checking DXO it scores higher than the new VR model, providing I'm reading the scores right? Anyone using the f2.8 model on the D750, if so whats your thoughts.

I had the 24-120mm f4 and it was a tad too heavy for me, so that's ruled out and I think one of the above will suit me. I tried a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 non BIM and it was a dog compared to the two BIM's I have previously owned when using my D7000.

Any other thoughts, as I'm not that steady I use a high SS so not sure VR is a great help to me??

Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-24-85mm-f3.5-4.5G-ED-VR-DxoMark-test-score.png

Surprised by that, the updated Nikon zooms are usually sharper, maybe it gets a better score because of the wider aperture?

Surprised by that, the updated Nikon zooms are usually sharper, maybe it gets a better score because of the wider aperture?

Me too. I have heard from some its bit of a dog or are people just passing on KR bull. I have had a good look around FM, Flickr etc.......and there's some nice photos taken with the lens. Would love a 24-70 f2.8 But it would be way too heavy for me, so I have to compromise somewhere.

I have decided to purchase a lightweight zoom ready for after my shoulder and elbow ops next week and have got it down to the 24-85mm f2.8-f4.0 and the newer one with VR. The f2.8 lens can be had for around £200 SH and seems bit of a bargain and when checking DXO it scores higher than the new VR model, providing I'm reading the scores right? Anyone using the f2.8 model on the D750, if so whats your thoughts.

I had the 24-120mm f4 and it was a tad too heavy for me, so that's ruled out and I think one of the above will suit me. I tried a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 non BIM and it was a dog compared to the two BIM's I have previously owned when using my D7000.

Any other thoughts, as I'm not that steady I use a high SS so not sure VR is a great help to me??

24-85 VR out of those three.

Another vote for 24-85 vr. I'm finding it a brilliant little lens. No complaints on sharpness or colours. It's just a really good lens!

I have tickets to the show but could do with it before then, will see if I can hold off. Going Belgium for work on Wednesday for a few days, it could be useful.

I love mine.

It just rotated around the D-ring and flapped about because of that.

The slide strap is connected to the camera at 2 points, not just one so is held more securely.

For this ^ reason. I have an extra plate on the tripod mount for my 70-200 as well, so when I have that lens on I clip one of the ends to the lens, and the other to the camera. I have the Clutch on one of them as well.

My D750 is in classifieds as I need to free up some cash... but I'm seriously considering selling my soul (or a kidney) instead as not sure when I would be able to afford another full frame camera for a while.

Anyone use a D7200 alongside their D750? In good light, is there a noticible difference in IQ or camera speed?

I used to have a D7000 and it was my go to camera, but I don't want to do something I will later regret.

Well, I'm sure in a blind test you might struggle to pick out the D750 file compared to the D7200 file every time, but once you go full frame it's so hard to go back. Have had a Fuji and a M43 since I first picked up a D600 and now I just find fault with them :(

Realistically the main selling point is the high ISO performance of the D750

My D750 is in classifieds as I need to free up some cash... but I'm seriously considering selling my soul (or a kidney) instead as not sure when I would be able to afford another full frame camera for a while.

Anyone use a D7200 alongside their D750? In good light, is there a noticible difference in IQ or camera speed?

I used to have a D7000 and it was my go to camera, but I don't want to do something I will later regret.

Interest free credit card instead?

Well, I'm sure in a blind test you might struggle to pick out the D750 file compared to the D7200 file every time, but once you go full frame it's so hard to go back. Have had a Fuji and a M43 since I first picked up a D600 and now I just find fault with them :(

That is my main fear, that I will notice the IQ difference... whether it be in my head or actual reality! I'm not actually using the D750 for a lot of high ISO shots, but want to make the decision before I go on my trip to Scotland.

Then there is the lens choice. Primes would be obvious, but a decent walk about on a DX, I wouldnt know where to start, as some look damn expensive.

That is my main fear, that I will notice the IQ difference... whether it be in my head or actual reality! I'm not actually using the D750 for a lot of high ISO shots, but want to make the decision before I go on my trip to Scotland.

Then there is the lens choice. Primes would be obvious, but a decent walk about on a DX, I wouldn't know where to start, as some look damn expensive.

Before moving to FX, I was sceptical, but after I bought the D600, the following became very clear in addition to High ISO and I will never have a DX as my main camera

1. Shallow Dof - FF will always have that advantage over DX (1.5 times) if you are into portraits with the same lens at same f-stop. Neil Van has a wonderful article on Tangents should you wish to check that out.
2. wider angle fov with cheaper kit lenses
3. Colour tonality and PP advantage - perhaps due to bigger pixels on FX can take a lot more beating in PP and maintain good tonal gradations. I came tho know this late, but noticed while comparing, blue sky even at base ISO renders much better on FF with some processing and with low noise.
4. Anything above ISO 800 looks good on FX even with processing where DX image even on new sensors will have at least a stop disadvantage.
5. Noise on new FX models have a finer grain that can be used to creative advantage.
6. More lens choices

Reactions: JYC
Depending on what you shoot the Olympus EM1 could be a good choice, I only came back to full frame because most of my shots are wide open and I hugely missed the shallow depth of field

The problem is there isn't much price difference between the two when considering used prices. Because of the grey price being so low it's probably only £400-500 difference. The d750 and d7200 controls/body size wise there isn't much difference as they are very similar. There are small differences that I've noticed like the brighter viewfinder and it's info display. The main benefits of fx are the high ISO and the shallow DoF. I've not used the d7200 enough yet to make an opinion of it, it was mainly purchased as a remote camera and if I needed extra reach. I got it off here at a great price so it was hard to turn up the chance of trying one for a few months.

What lenses do you have @JJ! ? Could be an option to sell one if you have a few.

This is a good option too. Do you have any lenses you are not currently using and could buy back in a few months?

Last edited:
So, I'm going to be up near the peaks over Easter (well, Stockport area). And since people on this thread seem to know plenty of places there. Tips for some nice walks we can do with the family?

Anyone tried the new 24mm F1.8? Reviews look good but not that much in the way of real world samples. Thinking about pairing it with a 50mm or even the 58mm if funds allow for weddings. Compared to the Sigma Art, any thoughts?

Anyone tried the new 24mm F1.8? Reviews look good but not that much in the way of real world samples. Thinking about pairing it with a 50mm or even the 58mm if funds allow for weddings. Compared to the Sigma Art, any thoughts?

Just buy the Sigma 24 Art :)

But not before you buy the 58.

Time to try out Panamoz's warranty... Been having quite a few lock ups/ERR messages from the shutter just lately and although at first i could live with it, it's not beginning to p*** me off. It's happening on a daily basis now. Meh.

Time to try out Panamoz's warranty... Been having quite a few lock ups/ERR messages from the shutter just lately and although at first i could live with it, it's not beginning to p*** me off. It's happening on a daily basis now. Meh.

That sucks. Im sure they'll sort it though.

Just buy the Sigma 24 Art :)

But not before you buy the 58.
Tempting, very tempting. A sigma art 24 and Nikon 58 could be the perfect combination. Needs something a little longer with it, my 85 might be a little close to 58! A Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is probably the best value, although a 70-200 f4 is a nice lightweight alternative!

Not good, hope it gets sorted quickly. I had a weird phenomena the other day, I was unable to move the focus point around in LV, and could not focus it. Took battery out waited 10s and put it back in but this didn't help. Strangely taking it off the tripod fixed it, but then put it back on tripod and it locked again. Lasted about 2 mins then been fine since. Some weird goings on in Lumsdale ;)

So, I'm going to be up near the peaks over Easter (well, Stockport area). And since people on this thread seem to know plenty of places there. Tips for some nice walks we can do with the family?
Mam Tor, Kinder Scout and Castleton aren't 'that' far from Stockport. Don't know about the Stockport side of the Penines though.

Last edited:

That sucks, mate. Is it with a specific lens, or random? I remember I had a small issue with play on my 70-200 which caused errors, but it turned out to be dirty balls on the lens mount. I bought a tube of red something (will look for it later), cleaned both lens and camera mounts and never had a problem again.
edit, this is what I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caig-DeoxIT...ie=UTF8&qid=1455560578&sr=8-2&keywords=deoxit

In the mean time, I don`t know if this might help
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCOVpXAyqnM

Last edited:

Thats bad news, hopefully you'll get it sorted soon

PS are you sure it's not the @minnnt 'your time with this body is up', I mean you've not changed bodies for at least 6 months now!!

Back