Nikon D750 & D780

Last edited:
Ok - question time.
What are people's real world thoughts on the 24-120 on a D750?
I'm seriously considering chopping my D7200 and 24-70 in against one - I don't really need 2.8 so seems a logical thing to do.
Most of my lenses are FX anyway.
Or I could get rid of the 11-16 and 16-85 with the D7200, keep the 24-70 and just get a D750 body only.
Starting to sound like Rookies now;)

Ok - question time.
I'm seriously considering chopping my D7200 and 24-70 in against one - I don't really need 2.8 so seems a logical thing to do.
Or I could get rid of the 11-16 and 16-85 with the D7200, keep the 24-70 and just get a D750 body only.
Just bought the 24-120mm f4 for my D750, pretty happy with it :) The 24-70mm is obviously better, but the reason I chose the 24-120mm instead (other than price) was down to the portability and versatility as I wanted a general walkabout lens. If you want the absolute best IQ from zooms then don't look any further than the 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. Most tests will tell you that the 24-120mm f4 is almost on par with the 24-70mm in terms of sharpness though.

Here's a link to some of my test shots with the 24-120mm I did the other day, one at f4 one at f5.6, both at 120mm which is allegedly it's weakest FL.

Nikon D750

I keep thinking I'll get rid of my 24-70 - and then I use it and change my mind. :D
Well you could loan it to me for a while to see if you can live without it, and I can use it to see if I made the right choice going for the 24-120mm ;)

24-120mm is really quite good, only issue is that the bokeh is a bit harsh (and it can't go bigger than f4)

Ok - question time.

:agree:

Here's a link to some of my test shots with the 24-120mm I did the other day, one at f4 one at f5.6, both at 120mm which is allegedly it's weakest FL.

Nikon D750

Not sure if it's my pokies or the forum, but the Daff pics look softer to the photos of dog and cat in link. The animal pics look a lot sharper even with a significant ISO increase. Unless the softness was your intended outcome or the contrast between the two?

Last edited:
Not sure if it's my pokies or the forum, but the Daff pics look softer to the photos of dog and cat in link. The animal pics look a lot sharper even with a significant ISO increase. Unless the softness was your intended outcome or the contrast between the two?
They are softer, combination of light and shallow DOF due to subject distance being around 50cm and shooting at 120mm. As I said they're miniature daffodils, the entire head of each daffodil is only about 1" or so ;) (If you had the benefit of the full file you'd just be able to see a zone of critical sharpness, but it's tiny)

Edit just calculated DOF would be about 2.1mm :eek:

Last edited:
Very nice :)

Maybe I should have kids after all just so I've got subjects to shoot :LOL:

Not very often she keeps still or posed for me.. But today she was well up for it so did quite a few :clap:

Pack of hounds?

_7520874.jpg

Might just be that the system's not updated on a weekend?

It arrived in Liege at 21.33 last night and tonight at 20.51 it was still there awaiting the next departure. We are away this weekend for 3 nights and as long as i get it before then i will be happy enough.

Ok - question time.

You're right, no one needs F2.8, it's nowhere near wide enough.

I didn't take any pictures this weekend, other than for calibrating my lenses with the new body.

I did however, drink a lot of espresso martinis and started making some gin. mmmmm gin.

All I did was go to get some A3 paper, and bumped into this lot :D I did try a 45 tammy and the infamous 58 Nikon though.

Storm Troopers by Paulie-W, on Flickr
This is really great, wish I'd gone down now ;) Was there a specific backdrop, or just good timing to make it look as though they're walking through the death star?

Last edited:
Just ordered my 24-120mm, but this will be the longest delivery time in history!! (friend is bringing it over for me)

Pretty dead in here these days.

Still the biggest thread in equipment by a long way!

Busy at work right now, hopefully will get out with the camera at Easter.

Still the biggest thread in equipment by a long way!

Busy at work right now, hopefully will get out with the camera at Easter.

That be my fault with all questions and lens pmsl

Back