Nikon D750 & D780

Going to a couple of weddings as a guest this year and can't decide which lens to take. Me being me wants to take the 70-200mm f2.8 to get the creme de la creme images, but I'm not sure what photo ops I'll get, plus then there's the issue of the size and bulk and what I do with it during the rest of the day, and the night do. Not as though I can stick it in the middle of the dining table :LOL: and wouldn't want to leave it lying around anywhere. The obvious choice is the 24-120mm but then I'm aware the images won't be as nice, and also as it's not a Wedding where I'm going to know a lot of people the idea of shooting from a distance is more favourable for me, being shy and all ;) But then I have the 85mm on the way and wondering if I could get all the shots I'd want with just this focal length.

Obviously I'm not expecting an answer as it's down to what suits me, just thinking out loud and thought this thread needed a bump ;) :p

The obvious choice is the 24-120mm but then I'm aware the images won't be as nice,

Why won't the images be as nice, does it only take pictures of ugly people or something? :thinking:

Take the 85 and make do. Or get a 50mm. They're great for people pics. :D

_7502210.jpg

Going to a couple of weddings as a guest this year and can't decide which lens to take. Me being me wants to take the 70-200mm f2.8 to get the creme de la creme images, but I'm not sure what photo ops I'll get, plus then there's the issue of the size and bulk and what I do with it during the rest of the day, and the night do. Not as though I can stick it in the middle of the dining table :LOL: and wouldn't want to leave it lying around anywhere. The obvious choice is the 24-120mm but then I'm aware the images won't be as nice, and also as it's not a Wedding where I'm going to know a lot of people the idea of shooting from a distance is more favourable for me, being shy and all ;) But then I have the 85mm on the way and wondering if I could get all the shots I'd want with just this focal length.

Obviously I'm not expecting an answer as it's down to what suits me, just thinking out loud and thought this thread needed a bump ;) :p

At the wedding we did yesterday one of the guests turned up with a 70-200. He quickly got told to do one as was in the way. Not by us but by the bride and groom. ;) He spent the rest of the day sulking in the corner.

If you really need to bring your camera (not sure why people do we would never dream of taking a camera to weddings we have been invited too as guests unless specifically asked too) it may be better to be more discrete bring a 50mm or something that won't look like you are just there to take photos.

Last edited:
At the wedding we did yesterday one of the guests turned up with a 70-200. He quickly got told to do one as was in the way. Not by us but by the bride and groom. ;) He spent the rest of the day sulking in the corner.

If you really need to bring your camera it may be better to be more discrete bring a 50mm or something that won't look like you are just there to take photos.
Wouldn't a zoom lens be more discreet since you can hide in some corner and photograph everything, whereas if you use a 50mm you'd have to get into people's faces?

Sorry if that sounds stupid but newbie photographer here. :p I really want to understand as I might face the same situation someday (probably not, all my friends are married, but you never know) :p

Wouldn't a zoom lens be more discreet since you can hide in some corner and photograph everything, whereas if you use a 50mm you'd have to get into people's faces?

Sorry if that sounds stupid but newbie photographer here. :p I really want to understand as I might face the same situation someday (probably not, all my friends are married, but you never know) :p

Tramping around with a large zoom lens will make you stand out and you will look you are only there to take photo's and you may run the risk of looking like a bit of a tool, like our guest yesterday, all depends on the bride and groom though. Why would you feel the need to bring a camera in the first place? Unless you have specifically been asked to take some photos they have invited you as a guest not another photographer.

Last edited:
Why won't the images be as nice, does it only take pictures of ugly people or something? :thinking:

Take the 85 and make do. Or get a 50mm. They're great for people pics. :D
The 70-200mm clearly renders nicer than the 24-120mm :p

Lol, never thought of that ;)

If you really need to bring your camera (not sure why people do we would never dream of taking a camera to weddings we have been invited too as guests unless specifically asked too) it may be better to be more discrete bring a 50mm or something that won't look like you are just there to take photos.
I appreciated people having cameras at my wedding, got some nice pics that weren't captured by the official tog. Plus for selfish reasons I try and take every opportunity I can to take people pics as it's very very rare that I get to do this yet it's something I'd love to do :p

Hence part of my reasoning for taking the 70-200mm f2.8 ;)

I think it's most likely going to be the 24-120mm f4, seems the most practical :D

I agree with Tommy, Toby. Screw the camera, enjoy the day. If you do have to take something then take the G7X. Could not even comprehend as to why you would want to saddle yourself with a 70-200 all day!

Still working my way through the Mid Wales Stages pics, especially as i no longer have a camera to get some new stuff with!

Whilst Mk2's will always win out for me, this Mk1 was a pretty special one. Well driven and the orange stripe really added a flash of colour to the rather dreary welshgasm. I've also been trying out some different PP...

Mid Wales Stages 2016
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Mid Wales Stages 2016

Although there was some rather nice backdrops out in the open

Mid Wales Stages 2016

Tramping around with a large zoom lens will make you stand out and you will look you are only there to take photo's and you may run the risk of looking like a bit of a tool, like our guest yesterday, all depends on the bride and groom though. Why would you feel the need to bring a camera in the first place? Unless you have specifically been asked to take some photos they have invited you as a guest not another photographer.
Well, if I were going to do that, I would ask permission from the bride and groom first and promise not to get in the way of the official photographer. And that's why I would take a zoom lens so I won't get in the way.

The reason I'd want to bring a camera is because I love photographing people and events. Capturing moments is my passion. And I don't get enough chances to practise. :p

Well, if I were going to do that, I would ask permission from the bride and groom first and promise not to get in the way of the official photographer. And that's why I would take a zoom lens so I won't get in the way.

The reason I'd want to bring a camera is because I love photographing people and events. Capturing moments is my passion. And I don't get enough chances to practise. :p

Like I said all depends on bride and groom, don't be surprised though if you ask and get told to specifically not bring a camera. It might be a fad but at all our recent weddings the guests have even asked people not to take photos with phones, ipad etc. All of the wedding mags, blogs etc. are also now recommending unplugged weddings. They are even advising brides to change there facebook settings so as they can't be tagged without authorising it first to stop the s***ty photographs going online and being associated to them. Hope it continues makes such a difference when you don't have a million phones etc.being used. It's also great for the family portraits etc. as well as there is nothing more annoying that uncle Bob standing behind you shooting over your shoulder when you are trying to get direct eye contact with your subject.

It amazes me that people think that because they like to take photo's that they should use a friends special day to fulfill there hobby. When we get invited to a wedding as a guest I spend my time supping ale and having fun, not worrying about where I left my camera or lugging a load of gear around.

Last edited:
Like I said all depends on bride and groom, don't be surprised though if you ask and get told to specifically not bring a camera. It might be a fad but at all our recent weddings the guests have even asked people not to take photos with phones, ipad etc. All of the wedding mags, blogs etc. are also now recommending unplugged weddings. They are even advising brides to change there facebook settings so as they can't be tagged without authorising it first to stop the s***ty photographs going online and being associated to them. Hope it continues makes such a difference when you don't have a million phones etc.being used. It's also great for the family portraits etc. as well as there is nothing more annoying that uncle Bob standing behind you shooting over your shoulder when you are trying to get direct eye contact with your subject.

It amazes me that people think that because they like to take photo's that they should use a friends special day to fulfill there hobby. When we get invited to a wedding as a guest I spent my time supping ale and having fun, not worrying about where I left my camera or lugging a load of gear around.
No I'm not surprised. I have read articles about this and how friends with mobile phones and all manner of cameras get in the way and ruin shots of official photographers. And I can completely understand from the point of view of the official photographer.

I've been taking photographs with a tiny compact camera since a long time ago and I've always done that at friends' weddings. I also do that on our normal outings when we go out for drinks or events or whatever, so it's just a natural thing for me to have a camera with me wherever I go. I don't think I'm specifically taking advantage of someone's special day to fulfil a hobby. So far I haven't actually met a bride and groom who hasn't appreciated extra photos. They even ask for extra photos, not particularly from me, but from everyone who took photos.

But I do appreciate there will be those who only want proper professional photos and who'd prefer unplugged weddings. And I would always respect that.

Last edited:
A few years back I took my D300 with 28-105 lens to both my sons and daughters wedding. I was able to get some photos the professional photographer couldn't get so they added to the record of the occasion. In the case of my sons wedding, the professional photographer (no criticism intended of pros) seemed heavily biased (80:20) towards taking photos of the brides family, without my contribution we would have had few photos of the grooms family.

A few years back I took my D300 with 28-105 lens to both my sons and daughters wedding. I was able to get some photos the professional photographer couldn't get so they added to the record of the occasion. In the case of my sons wedding, the professional photographer (no criticism intended of pros) seemed heavily biased (80:20) towards taking photos of the brides family, without my contribution we would have had few photos of the grooms family.

Wow as a father of 2 young girls there is no way in the world that I would bring a camera to either of their weddings when they are old enough to get wed, I honestly can't think of a worse way to spend the day. Each to there own obviously though, its definitely something I wouldn't even think about doing. I recently got asked to photograph my cousins wedding, as well as being related we are also very good friends. They were happy to pay our normal rates etc. but I told them I didn't want to do it as we wanted to be guest's. We did help them find a photographer who was a good fit for what they wanted and I will be one of the groomsmen which means I can enjoy being part of their day. Would have been gutted if I would of had to have attend as a photographer.

Last edited:

It amazes me that people think that because they like to take photo's that they should use a friends special day to fulfill there hobby. When we get invited to a wedding as a guest I spend my time supping ale and having fun, not worrying about where I left my camera or lugging a load of gear around.
This is very true. However, there are those of us who know what discretion is that do not impact on anything and are not going to rattle off hundreds of shots during the day, and it's not fair that everyone should get tarred with the same brush just because they want to take some pics. As I stated before, I was all to happy a couple of guests took decent pics at my wedding, there were some great moments captured that I otherwise would have not known about or seen. And I didn't even notice that they had big DSLRs during the day.

I now regret my initial post, was supposed to me a light hearted jokey post, never realised it was going to spark a debate :rolleyes:

If you're someone who is paid to take photos at weddings, I can understand why you wouldn't want to if you were invited as a guest - imagine it would feel like you're working when you're not supposed to be.

In my experience (as a wedding guest, not a photographer), the only time cameras really make an appearance is during the staged "signing of the register" and first dance.

As long as people are discreet and don't get in the way of the folk the couple have paid to be there - I see no harm in it. Didn't even notice the pro togs at our wedding, let alone Uncle Jack with his compact in the corner.

Last edited:
Some people enjoy using their camera and grab any opportunity to do so. I can't remember the last wedding I went to when at least one guest didn't have a dslr with them. As long as guests with a camera don't get in the way of the official photographer, I don't see any harm in gear being brought along. There is always that chance that the guest nails a better shot than the official tog which does seem to happen. :)
Not everyone's idea if enjoying a wedding is getting tanked up at bar. I'd say take your gear if you want to and haven't been asked specifically not to. Just don't get in the way.

This is very true. However, there are those of us who know what discretion is that do not impact on anything and are not going to rattle off hundreds of shots during the day, and it's not fair that everyone should get tarred with the same brush just because they want to take some pics. As I stated before, I was all to happy a couple of guests took decent pics at my wedding, there were some great moments captured that I otherwise would have not known about or seen. And I didn't even notice that they had big DSLRs during the day.

I now regret my initial post, was supposed to me a light hearted jokey post, never realised it was going to spark a debate :rolleyes:

I don't think I tarred everyone with the same brush that certainly wasn't my intention and in truth issues with other people taking photographs have never really been that big a problem for us we just allow for it when it happens.

There are some headers out there though. I recently seen another well known local professional photographer who had shot a wedding and before he could so much as edit a photograph a guest who had attended the wedding stuck up over 500 photographs on facebook. He put them up along with a post saying how much he had enjoyed photographing the wedding and thanking the official photographer for his help.:D

A couple of days later the guest had a website and a Facebook page set up using images from the wedding and offering paid services as a wedding photographer. He even had the cheek to put that he had worked with award winning photographer blah blah blah in his about us section.:LOL:

As you can imagine the official photographer was furious, the bride and groom weren't too happy either but stuff like that does happen.

Doesn't seem to have done him much good though he is advertising all over the place offering to shoot weddings for free. :)

At the end of the day the bride and groom will decide what they want, some will want everyone taking photos and as many images of the day as possible, some won't. Quite a lot of the time though they don't get the option of deciding for themselves as people just turn up with camera's and shoot away regardless of their wishes.

The only point I was trying to make was that if you are attending a wedding as a guest but want to bring your camera being discrete might be the best option, it may also not be a bad idea to have a chat with the bride and groom as well to see what they want.

Last edited:
I don't think I tarred everyone with the same brush that certainly wasn't my intention and in truth issues with other people taking photographs have never really been that big a problem for us we just allow for it when it happens.
Fair do's, it just sounded like you were saying people shouldn't take cameras so apologies.

There are some headers out there though. I recently seen another well known local professional photographer who had shot a wedding and before he could so much as edit a photograph a guest who had attended the wedding stuck up over 500 photographs on facebook. He put them up along with a post saying how much he had enjoyed photographing the wedding and thanking the official photographer for his help.:D

A couple of days later the guest had a website and a Facebook page set up using images from the wedding and offering paid services as a wedding photographer. He even had the cheek to put that he had worked with award winning photographer blah blah blah in his about us section.:LOL:

As you can imagine the official photographer was furious, the bride and groom weren't too happy either but stuff like that does happen.
Well people like that deserve 50 lashes tbh :LOL:

At the end of the day the bride and groom will decide what they want, some will want everyone taking photos and as many images of the day as possible, some won't. Quite a lot of the time though they don't get the option of deciding for themselves as people just turn up with camera's and shoot away regardless of their wishes.

The only point I was trying to make was that if you are attending a wedding as a guest but want to bring your camera being discrete might be the best option, it may also not be a bad idea to have a chat with the bride and groom as well to see what they want.
I'm always discrete ;) :p Joking aside, I don't like being 'centre of attention' and prefer to be a shrinking violet in the corner.

Going back to my original post, as I said it was a jokey thread just posting the thoughts that go through my head (always a dangerous thing :LOL:) I wouldn't seriously take a 70-200mm f2.8 as a guest, even though in my head I'd like to in terms of getting the best images ;)

Some people enjoy using their camera and grab any opportunity to do so. I can't remember the last wedding I went to when at least one guest didn't have a dslr with them. As long as guests with a camera don't get in the way of the official photographer, I don't see any harm in gear being brought along. There is always that chance that the guest nails a better shot than the official tog which does seem to happen. :)
Not everyone's idea if enjoying a wedding is getting tanked up at bar. I'd say take your gear if you want to and haven't been asked specifically not to. Just don't get in the way.
I certainly fall into that category, but as mentioned I am respectful and discrete (but not voyeuristic before someone says it :LOL:).

Anyway, changing topic safety of F1 amazes me, how Alonso can just walk away from that this morning is astonishing :eek:

Doesn't seem to have done him much good though he is advertising all over the place offering to shoot weddings for free. :)

We experienced similar to this within our family and it caused some family feud. One of my nieces was getting married and another niece was there snapping away on her phone and uploading them directly to Facebook etc.... The niece getting married wasn't to pleased after spending a small fortune on her dress etc....and to have her special day uploaded onto social media as the day was unfolding wasn't nice. Caused a bit of a rift in the family.

As a guest, weddings are long and boring, I don't normally have anything better to do besides chit-chat, so I take photos of the people on the tables I'm with (usually a group of friends who normally only merit a single group shot with the official 'tog). Even if there are no keepers that the bride might want, we still get more relevant memories of the day for us.

I have no interest in cars other than as tools for getting me and my stuff from A to B, but some of you seem to like old bangers. I was photographing some chickens (now there's a surprise :LOL:) over a stone wall when this went past.

_7520846.jpg

Followed by two more. Sorry the pics are crap, but I wasn't expecting them.
_7520847.jpg

My dad had a gold 2.0 Ghia, I spent many hours sat in the back with a bottle of pop outside the pub!

He'd leave the keys in so I could listen to the radio. "Don't play with the wipers"!!!

Back