Nikon D750 & D780

More a question of how many would admit to having the issue
A valid point and I wish more people would come forward. Good on you for making us aware. Whatever conclusion people come to.It's put me of going grey.All my gear from calumet is spot on.

Last edited:
The reason I asked how many on here had D750s and how many have the problem is because Im hovering over the trigger on a D750 or D810. The D750 is my first choice mostly down to twin SD card slots, U1 and U2 feature and no excessive (for me) file size. Now holding to see what info comes back. Im glad Gary raised it even if it only involves fairly unusual circumstances.

Mines a grey too and it's perfectly fine. Have done a few long exposures and backlit situations no problem.

There's too much cynicism regarding imports. We photographers are very picky about the quality of our kit, if there was an inherent issue from greys I'm sure it would have been sussed by now.

As for Nikon sending all their faulty cameras to the 'Grey' market.... That would mean all those people living outside of the UK would only be supplied with faulty cameras. Complete madness.

As for Nikon sending all their faulty cameras to the 'Grey' market.... That would mean all those people living outside of the UK would only be supplied with faulty cameras. Complete madness.
No.The idea is that they are not sold in the home country.The "trick" is to only sell to countries were it looks as though a loophole(well discussed on other threads) is being exploited rather than the truth that the cameras are sub standard.
IE if a UK supplier sold a D750 at £1200 the first thing someone would say is "why what's wrong with it" but if you have the "Blind" of being able to trick buyers into thinking UK taxes and import duties are being avoided then your away with it. But you don't sell in your own country as it would not work. Crafty eh!

How can these grey importers get these cameras from Nikon and sell them at 30% less than UK cameras when that is less than the duties involved? Also Why can the grey importers tell us how they can supply so cheap. I have returned BOTH lenses I bought grey from HK because they were defective / bellow standard.
They easy way to sort out the truth of the matter would be as I say if the grey importers could show how they make the savings.

With such a massive saving it makes sens to me that they buy them cheaper in the first place from the manufacture. I know of someone who sold hard drives on flebay,he bought a job lot cheap because within the hundred or so where some defective drives. It was not feasible to test them all so they were sold cheap and the buyer did the testing with repairs and refunds issued accordingly.

All the grey importers have to do is explain how they can do these cameras so cheap and there would be less speculation.But they don't?

VAT, Duty, Import Shipping, Rip-off Britain etc. There isn't a big conspiracy here.

Having to return 2 lenses doesn't prove that an entire area of the market is full of sub-standard goods. Could have just been bad luck?

And as for someone knowingly selling defective hard drives, sounds like a bit of a tw*ttish thing to do but each to their own.

How can these grey importers get these cameras from Nikon and sell them at 30% less than UK cameras when that is less than the duties involved? Also Why can the grey importers tell us how they can supply so cheap. I have returned BOTH lenses I bought grey from HK because they were defective / bellow standard.
They easy way to sort out the truth of the matter would be as I say if the grey importers could show how they make the savings.

With such a massive saving it makes sens to me that they buy them cheaper in the first place from the manufacture. I know of someone who sold hard drives on flebay,he bought a job lot cheap because within the hundred or so where some defective drives. It was not feasible to test them all so they were sold cheap and the buyer did the testing with repairs and refunds issued accordingly.

All the grey importers have to do is explain how they can do these cameras so cheap and there would be less speculation.But they don't?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panamoz-hdew-etc-etc.568324/

The reason I asked how many on here had D750s and how many have the problem is because Im hovering over the trigger on a D750 or D810. The D750 is my first choice mostly down to twin SD card slots, U1 and U2 feature and no excessive (for me) file size. Now holding to see what info comes back. Im glad Gary raised it even if it only involves fairly unusual circumstances.

As per my previous posts you can also reproduce it with the D810 and others.

It probably helps to consider that many electrical goods are much cheaper to buy in the far east. Different pricing for different markets, currency fluctuations, etc.

e.g. Fortress is a big chain of electrical retailers in Hong Kong and a Nikon recommended retailer. They currently list the D750 around £1380 as a recommended retail price which means in-store prices are likely cheaper. Panamoz are selling at £1240 which is in the same ball park. How they claim to include VAT and import duties within their prices is beyond me, though.

No.The idea is that they are not sold in the home country.The "trick" is to only sell to countries were it looks as though a loophole(well discussed on other threads) is being exploited rather than the truth that the cameras are sub standard.
IE if a UK supplier sold a D750 at £1200 the first thing someone would say is "why what's wrong with it" but if you have the "Blind" of being able to trick buyers into thinking UK taxes and import duties are being avoided then your away with it. But you don't sell in your own country as it would not work. Crafty eh!
So tell me, how does the guy sitting stroking a cat in the Nikon broken camera disposal office ensure that the cameras supplied to the Asian market are destined to come back to the UK as grey imports and not sold to customers in their own market?

Please guys, this is a thread about the D750 ant NOT about grey imports, if you want to discuss greys then bugger off elsewhere, i only mentioned it was grey because Nikon are prepared to work on it and cover the cost of repair or replacement themselves, (thats of course IF they find a fault LOL)

Nikon D750 v Canon 5d mk3. Here.I was surprised that the D750 was not as good in some areas as a 3 year old Canon.

Nikon D750 v Canon 5d mk3. Here.I was surprised that the D750 was not as good in some areas as a 3 year old Canon.

Like what, the fact that hes a Canon shooter so likes its ergonomics more or are you referring to AF where again the results were so close its more than likely down to system familiarity? What I got from that test was that the D750 whooped it in pretty much every way.

Gary, you need to start writing reviews. Wouldnt matter how accurate they were they would be entertaining!
Thet review only put the Canon ahead on focus and that seems to be because he likes the way the focus points were spaced.

But the reviews are just that. One persons experienece using both camers and the features in the manner that THEY are used to shooting. The simple thing here is if your deciding factor is A and A is better on the nikon then buy the bloody nikon.

As an example. My deciding factor would be the shadow recovery, the AF and the price...combine all 3 and its the D750. simples

If YOUR deciding factor is ergonomics (you prefer canon) more AF points and blah blash blah...then buy the camera that suits.

Whats the point of shouting from thr rooftops that your camera can shoot 24 shots before the buffer fills up if realistically you are never going to shoot 24 shots in that type of burst...

The bit i found interesting was the 13 image test re SOOC files. I did this, and was really surprised that by a clear margin the i preferred the Nikon. I never thought that would happen as i really thought the canon colours were my preference...turns out not...

At a guess they are cutting out the middle man and the taxes. Grey buy direct from Nikon Japan or wherever the head office is. Wex, Jessops etc have to buy from Nikon UK who buy of Nikon Japan.

Some of these sellers stock a lot of brands, do you seriously think they buy up all seconds and the manufactures let these go out to the general public. A quick and easy way to mess up your business.

I worked in manufacturing for over twenty years at a senior level, it's common for companies to re-work failed QC products and to recall products which are effected from the same batch and re-test all these. If beyond rework they would be stripped and faulty parts binned. It was not in the companies interest to let faulty products to enter the marketplace.

Edit: To add I bought a Fuji XT1 in the UK which was faulty, so I then bought grey which was perfect.

Anyway as Gary said, moving on...................................................

Last edited:
Don't you just love all the conspiracy folk ? They will believe 'EVERYTHING STUPID' elvis lives - no one landed on the moon - ufos are real (C A R P). There are a couple of car companies in the uk BMW UK and Mercedes benz UK - who supply all the dealers and you go and buy from th e dealer and negotiate your deal ! OR you could save a bundle and buy in Germany - even at the factory gate . Where dya get the cheapest deal ?

same with cameras

I have owned the Canon 5D mk3 and whilst it is a fabulous camera its shadow recovery even at base ISO isnt nearly as good as Nikons. I have heard people say the D750 has a better AF system? If that is true it must be amazing

I have owned the Canon 5D mk3 and whilst it is a fabulous camera its shadow recovery even at base ISO isnt nearly as good as Nikons. I have heard people say the D750 has a better AF system? If that is true it must be amazing

Go and give one a test run or even hire one for a weekend - it is !

DPreview real world test here

Really impressed by the shadow recovery and dynamic range shown in this video. I thought a lot of that detail would have been lost.
I dont need a full frame camera, can't afford one, but really want 1 of these.

Quick question and this applies to D810 owners possibly too. I have a D810/750 on the way to me now and a Sigma 35 is one of the lenses. Have anyone with this combo tested does the autofocus work in Live view with either body?

Quick question and this applies to D810 owners possibly too. I have a D810/750 on the way to me now and a Sigma 35 is one of the lenses. Have anyone with this combo tested does the autofocus work in Live view with either body?
Here's the D750 with the Sigma 35mm Art.

Do you have the dock for the sigma 35 digitalrelish? Thanks for that

The original issue (hard line) I'm not so sure I would call "an issue." It might well be a side effect/tradeoff of the "f/8" and better low light AF capability. (larger AF sensor/positioned higher, I have no idea how they did it). I don't know if I can make my D810 do it, and I'm not going to check. What's the point? You can get all sorts of strange/bad crap if you let light go directly into the lens (even at a slight angle). If you're doing that, then you need to look out for those issues.

Gary's problem is different. I'm not sure it's a light leak...that actually seems pretty improbable to me (it's not dependent on longer exposures). I think it's probably sensor based. Maybe it's the sensor itself. Or possibly a lamination/mounting issue with the AA filter assembly allowing light to bounce back and forth between the layers (that actually makes the most sense to me).

In the end I think Gary will probably get a "better" camera out of it... one that's been scrutinized well beyond the basic/standard QC checks (not that I know what those really are). Unless they just send him a replacement ;).

Do you have the dock for the sigma 35 digitalrelish? Thanks for that
Yep, but mainly for the 50mm Art as I already had the 35mm corrected by Sigma for when I had D800 & D700 and it's still good for my D750.

Both are totally amazing lenses, by the way. The 35mm seems to perform better on the D750 and I'm presuming that's down to the better AF system over that in either the D700 or D800.

Like what, the fact that hes a Canon shooter so likes its ergonomics more or are you referring to AF where again the results were so close its more than likely down to system familiarity? What I got from that test was that the D750 whooped it in pretty much every way.
AF performance is dependent on more than just the body.
The lens makes a big difference; it can even be a particular lens on a particular body. Doing a "side by side" AF comparison is just about pointless (at least the types you typically see/hear of).

highly subjective test, one person's opinion and using tests which are not carefully controlled thus cannot be conclusive or least reliable.

two things i will agree with him
1) Nikon D750 is pack full of features
2) Nikon D750 and Canon 5DIII are both great cameras

the rest are all BS. When a guy claims the best test in the world, the ...est in the world, no where else in the world...thats sales pitch and you should know pretty much straight away IT IS ALL CRAP.

Last edited:
Well mine turned up yesterday (Friday) but it should have been Thursday according to UPS, which I waited in for. It came almost as quick from HK as it did for 5 miles across Swansea.

Fired off a couple of shots last night and I thought I was having a light leak worse then Gary's, luckily for me it was the steam from the combi boiler. Had a play around today and well impressed so far and in particular the DX mode, also, even with the cheap glass I am using whilst I save for the 300mm f4 or similar.

On a different note, what is meant when Nikon say the camera will focus down to -3ev? I know this is a big deal compared to, say, the D610, but what does it actually mean?

On a different note, what is meant when Nikon say the camera will focus down to -3ev? I know this is a big deal compared to, say, the D610, but what does it actually mean?

It means that you're D750 will focus in dark conditions, down to -3ev.

Basically, the D610 wouldn't be able to focus in some situations, where your D750 will be able to.

Last edited:
one of those figures I always take with a pinch of salt, but from the reviews I've read from other togs the 750 is exceptional in its low light AF compared to not only Nikon but other camera brands too.

It means that you're D750 will focus in dark conditions, down to -3ev.

Basically, the D610 wouldn't be able to focus in some situations, where your D750 will be able to.

Oh yes, I get that but I suppose what I am really asking is what does the -3ev bit mean, what can I compare it too? And I presume this doesn't mean -3 ev as in exposure compensation of -3ev.

Back