Nikon D750 & D780

Oh yes, I get that but I suppose what I am really asking is what does the -3ev bit mean, what can I compare it too? And I presume this doesn't mean -3 ev as in exposure compensation of -3ev.
Focus locks on better in darker conditions than my D3S and D4 did

Oh yes, I get that but I suppose what I am really asking is what does the -3ev bit mean, what can I compare it too? And I presume this doesn't mean -3 ev as in exposure compensation of -3ev.

have a read of this, if you can get through it without falling asleep http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/20168/what-is-ev-when-used-as-an-absoute-measurement

I think the D810 is rated to -2 EV I think and I'm very impressed with that in low light, seems better than my old D3s's but I've not compared side by side.

Last edited:
OK I understand now from those links! :) I'm basically equating it to light levels in terms of lux levels in my mind, but I get from this -3ev is bloody dark!!

The D610 and it's poor AF in low light has got to go, it's just whether it's a D750 or D810 to replace it....

In Simons head 'sht,sht,sht.....DOH!'. :facepalm:

This what happened when I tried a test shot in dark outside, hence my concern when playing back. Had a try in different lighting and couldn't reproduce so must have been boiler steam.

Apologies to Gary, wasn't trying to upset him anymore than he is with his camera. As it may have come across that way.

Nikon D750 1st Use 05.12.2014 029 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

OK I understand now from those links! :) I'm basically equating it to light levels in terms of lux levels in my mind, but I get from this -3ev is bloody dark!!

The D610 and it's poor AF in low light has got to go, it's just whether it's a D750 or D810 to replace it....

As an example I took the below test photo and I couldn't see the focus point in VF. The room was lit from our living room and through an hallway. The light in the living room was lit by a low energy lamp and the doors to the rooms are off set through the hallway.

Is this what your looking for as an example.? It was quite dark in that room. I used to have a Lux meter but I cant seem to find it, so cant give you that reading.

Nikon D750 1st Use 05.12.2014 032 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
This what happened when I tried a test shot in dark outside, hence my concern when playing back. Had a try in different lighting and couldn't reproduce so must have been boiler steam.

Apologies to Gary, wasn't trying to upset him anymore than he is with his camera. As it may have come across that way.
Bet you were terrified for a brief moment there, no fuss with mine, dont use cameras at all this time of year so beter in for a fix now than when i actually need it.

Bet you were terrified for a brief moment there, no fuss with mine, dont use cameras at all this time of year so beter in for a fix now than when i actually need it.
The cheeks were starting to twitch a bit. Thinking what the **** I had done selling my XT1 and coming back to Nikon.

To lazy to look,
Can you customize the back button(ae-l) to AF on?

According to this, it's "Night, away from city lights, subject under full moon."

you guys are putting me off

With the DX mode can you kill two birds with one stone so to speak? Chop in your D700 & D7100, or do you need two cameras with one being a back up?

Focus Screen Question.

Can you change the colour of the view finder focus screen and lock focus icons? When I had a D7000, if I remember correctly the colour of the view finder screen and lock focus spot was a light green colour, on the D750 it's black and I prefer a lighter colour. Cant seem to find in the menu, only the LCD mode.

Last edited:
With the DX mode can you kill two birds with one stone so to speak? Chop in your D700 & D7100, or do you need two cameras with one being a back up?

The DX mode is only a digital crop of the FX sensor ....... no point in really using it apart from reducing the file size on your computer.
It's just a gimmick, IMHO

The only way to get improved IQ is the best glass or better high ISO performance ..... the factors effecting sharpness will eventually defeat the conventional DSLR which will always suffer from vibration from the mirror movement.

Mirrorless FX is the current future option, aka Sony, with the best glass possible.

All the Nikon FX sensors are made by Sony

Unfortunately if you are invested in Nikon or Canon you have to follow their DSLR's bodies as pro glass is expensive, far more than the cost of the body

Last edited:
3 times darker than the ambient light or in camera terms, 3 stops

The DX mode is only a digital crop of the FX sensor ....... no point in really using it apart from reducing the file size on your computer.

I don't think it's a gimmick at all, what it is IMVHO is another tool in the box. I can't see how it's anything but a potentially useful ability.

I don't think it's a gimmick at all, what it is IMVHO is another tool in the box. I can't see how it's anything but a potentially useful ability.

why would you use it other than to reduce the physical file size or slightly increase the frame rate per second....... storage is now cheap and RAW is being increased with every new machine

all you are doing is digitally cropping the FX sensor and cutting off part of the image, (that you may need) ....... you may as well do this in LR or PS just in case you need the extra canvas

The D7100 has a x 1.3 crop of the DX sensor function ...... I bet it is hardly used, I never use mine ..... what matters is IQ and (sometimes), number of pixel on sensor, (i.e. pixel density)

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
why would you use it other than to reduce the physical file size or slightly increase the frame rate per second....... storage is now cheap and RAW is being increased with every new machine

all you are doing is digitally cropping the FX sensor and cutting off part of the image, (that you may need) ....... you may as well do this in LR or PS just in case you need the extra canvas

The D7100 has a x 1.3 crop of the DX sensor function ...... I bet it is hardly used, I never use mine ..... what matters is IQ and (sometimes), number of pixel on sensor, (i.e. pixel density)

I use it when I need a little extra reach and aren't able to zoom with my feet. Why don't I simply shoot wider and crop in later? Simples - time. Anything I can do quickly and easily when shooting to reduce PP (albeit simple cropping) is good.

I would just take the full res and crop down. The problem with the dx mode is whilst using it, you get a rectancle in the frame, but its hard to compose fast moving subjects with it as you still see the full fx frame. 24mp gives plenty of cropability anyway.

Just tested my camera and im also getting the reflection on the top of the picture :(

To lazy to look,
Can you customize the back button(ae-l) to AF on?

Just done it on my D810. Makes everything [autofocus] so easy.

You could use it when using APS-C lenses, couldn't you?

I can think of an advantage off the top of my head... shooting a lot of frames you don't want to spend a lot of time processing. Engage crop mode and it's job done but without it you're manually cropping like a made thing until 2am.

Like I said, it's just another tool in the box an I'd imagine it costs nothing more than lines of script in the firmware. If you don't want it then fair enough but I imagine that some people do use the feature and find it useful.

Last edited:
Yeah its the same thing as Garys except mine has more of a straight edge to it. It's a uk camera from amazon.

[QUOT="shapeshifter, post: 6609774, member: 70290"]The light leak video for the D750.

It's there alright top left.[/QUOTE]
Yeah thats it but mine is a wee bit worse

I've had a couple of cameras with crop modes and I used them all the time shooting motorsport and wildlife where extra reach was required. My enjoyment from photography comes from taking photos, not editing them, so I like to frame what I'm actually going to end up with wherever possible.

I'm well aware it's just discarding the rest of the actual frame, but I personally don't see the point in 'shooting to crop' when I can compose properly in-camera using the DX mode.

The only way to get improved IQ is the best glass or better high ISO performance ..... the factors effecting sharpness will eventually defeat the conventional DSLR which will always suffer from vibration from the mirror movement.

Mirrorless FX is the current future option, aka Sony, with the best glass possible.

Unfortunately if you are invested in Nikon or Canon you have to follow their DSLR's bodies as pro glass is expensive, far more than the cost of the body

It's not a gimmick, Nikon designed it with the intention that people who own FX lenses can keep using them. Quite a few FX users have crossed the rubicon. Not many people can afford to replace their DX with FX lenses overnight.

You could use it when using APS-C lenses, couldn't you?

I can think of an advantage off the top of my head... shooting a lot of frames you don't want to spend a lot of time processing. Engage crop mode and it's job done but without it you're manually cropping like a made thing until 2am.

Like I said, it's just another tool in the box an I'd imagine it costs nothing more than lines of script in the firmware. If you don't want it then fair enough but I imagine that some people do use the feature and find it useful.

I've had a couple of cameras with crop modes and I used them all the time shooting motorsport and wildlife where extra reach was required. My enjoyment from photography comes from taking photos, not editing them, so I like to frame what I'm actually going to end up with wherever possible.

I'm well aware it's just discarding the rest of the actual frame, but I personally don't see the point in 'shooting to crop' when I can compose properly in-camera using the DX mode.

Fair enough - each to his own

I mentioned for the reach of the DX mode as I believe you prefer to use your D700, which doesn't have it??? I run a couple of tests using it yesterday, un-scientific as it was only the fence, but looking at the pics I can't see no loss of iQ if any. How it would show up on your Pro glass only you would know.

Maybe worth having a trial Bill to see if its for you, take some of your glass to your local shop with a memory card.

Last edited:
I mentioned for the reach of the DX mode as I believe you prefer to use your D700, which doesn't have it??? I run a couple of tests using it yesterday, un-scientific as it was only the fence, but looking at the pics I can't see no loss of iQ if any. How it would show up on your Pro glass only you would know.

Maybe worth having a trial Bill to see if its for you, take some of your glass to your local shop with a memory card.

I have a D7100 Simon, it has a x 1.3 crop on the 24MB sensor ..... I thought that it would be really good for my "bird shots" which are crops 90% of the time as it is difficult to get near ........ when I first got the D7100 I used this crop quite a lot ........ I just found that I was better off using the full DX sensor and cropping in LR which is easy and is one of the first thing that you do with all "bird" shots ......... I then took this forward to the FX D700 ...... and I found that I take "more comfortable" shots with the D700 and cropping.

Nikon have got to a stage that it appears that they will not replace the DX D300 ...... Nikon are really saying if you want to shoot DX at a consumer pro level, (and in order to get the other functions that you find very useful, it's a D610 upwards), buy a FX body and use the inbuilt crop function.

DX lens, (lenses) especially at the wide end can be a disaster on FX bodies ....... sensor technology is getting cheaper and if you are buying a DSLR (physical) sized body what's the point in having a smaller DX sensor ....... if you want a small sensor buy one of the many non DSLR sized bodies, the DSLR is an old fashion, maybe "out of date" design .... an SLR brought into the digital age ......... I use the 10MB Nikon V1 to great effect and Nikon have had the sense to design the FT-1, (which they now bundle in the US with the V3), to persuade Nikon users, with all the glass that they have invested in, to continue with them ......... what we have to look forward to is a Nikon mirror-less body, (the V1 is), with an FX sensor and a crop facility were you can also use the very good CX lens, (using a x 2.7 crop - which is far more useful, for birds, than the x 1.3 stuff), and an improved FT-1 that will allow use of a multi cell AF system and all the other function of the camera with Nikon pro glass........... if Nikon do not do this they could well loose out to others, i.e. Sony AR systems, especially for new users ....... when using a lens over say 200mm you are always fighting "movement/vibration" to get sharp images ............. just IMHO of course .... and I always speak from a bird shooters standpoint .. which is a minority view

The swivel screen on the D750 would be useful

Last edited:
A few pics showing the problem. Now my main problem is what to do about it?? It hasn't caused me any problems yet but I do shoot into the sun at times so one day it might be a issue. Is there any point in asking for a new camera off amazon if its a design issue affecting all camers??

DSC_3465 by jctcanavan, on Flickr

DSC_3462 by jctcanavan, on Flickr

DSC_3461 by jctcanavan, on Flickr

DSC_3470 by jctcanavan, on Flickr

DSC_3467 by jctcanavan, on Flickr

Bad to have yet another Nikon camera fault ... where is the quality control?
Problem is, if you don't send it back now, will you be able to if/when it does become an issue for you?

Gramps that's my problem I really like the camera and feel after paying £1650 for a camera 6 weeks ago I shouldn't have to send it for a repair. Like I said before I wonder if its a problem with a batch of cameras or a complete design fault. The serial number of my camera starts 60xxxxx.

Back