Nikon D750 & D780

Is there any way of getting a dust spot from inside the view finder? It's always there and is really annoying me.

Not sure - done 2 as favours and 1 christening so just been looking back at the difference is pictures I took, and seeing what look I like best and see where I can improve! Seemed it was way before I tool advice from TP and my settings were all over the place!

I like to go for walks and enjoy taking pics out and about and also a lot of animal (mainly horses) portraits which the 50mm is my main carry.
If it's something that you will do more regularly then I'd be looking at getting a 24-70mm f2.8 (probably used Nikon) as it's a better lens for this than the 24-120mm imo. The extra light gathering and better AF performance will come into its own, and you 'shouldn't' need the reach of the 120mm as you can move wherever you like.

If it's something you're likely to do much more often then two bodies is essential (for reasons Minnnt suggested) plus you can then still have the 24-70mm on one for flexibility, or a 28/35mm if you feel more confident, and then something like an 85mm or 135mm prime.

Is there any way of getting a dust spot from inside the view finder? It's always there and is really annoying me.
I was told you can do it with a rocket blower but it's not worked for me :(

Are you adding a lot of sharpening and grain in post?

I think the grain has been introduced by silver efex, this was my first play with the NIK collection. As standard I apply a bit of unsharp mask on export from Lightroom via Mogrify, but I think I'm going to re-export these without that on.

Used one of the push-process settings on Silver Efex with Agfa 100 pro film toning. Have a couple of weeks to get the editing done, and B&W isn't my usual style, but I know the groom likes it.

And I think the venue will lend itself quite well for B&W to be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the grain has been introduced by silver efex, this was my first play with the NIK collection. As standard I apply a bit of unsharp mask on export from Lightroom via Mogrify, but I think I'm going to re-export these without that on.

Used one of the push-process settings on Silver Efex with Agfa 100 pro film toning. Have a couple of weeks to get the editing done, and B&W isn't my usual style, but I know the groom likes it.

And I think the venue will lend itself quite well for B&W to be fair.

The tones look decent but it seems to have been a bit heavy handed with the sharpening and grain. Nice shots though.

Last edited:
The tones look decent but it seems to have been a bit heavy handed with the sharpening and grain. Nice shots though.

I assume I could open in Silver Efex, find a preset that I like, then make a preset in lightroom that used the same settings for the different channels. Will have a play tonight, got all of the culling done on Sunday.

Always so much fun.

Not used Nik but perhaps you can edit the preset and tone down the sharpening and grain like with presets in LR, could be quicker.

Yeah possibly, I couldn't see an option last night, only to change the size of the grain, but I assume it must be there.

Very nice! I'm looking forward to doing mine now. They Bride and Groom both want more candids than anything else which is kind off nice as I can float about taking pics. 24-70 Tamron is now ordered!
Cool. Make sure you test it thoroughly when it arrives as QC still not great, don't hesitate to keep returning it until you get a good copy ;)

I prefer candids to posed shots tbh. Look forward to seeing the results (y)

I got the taste for it the other week and wouldn't mind doing more, but only as a second shooter. I wouldn't want to be organising folk etc.

Last edited:
Cool. Make sure you test it thoroughly when it arrives as QC still not great, don't hesitate to keep returning it until you get a good copy ;)

I prefer candids to posed shots tbh. Look forward to seeing the results (y)

I got the taste for it the other week and wouldn't mind doing more, but only as a second shooter. I wouldn't want to be organising folk etc.

Yeah my mate went through a few last year as they had front/rear focus issues that were not any good even after in camera adjustment!

Out of interest what is the best way to check for front/back focus? Went on google and numerous methods so want to find the best free one!

Buy Fo-Cal
As per the other thread isn't this just an expensive way of adjusting the MA on your camera, ie basically assessing how far your camera front/back focuses and then adjusts the MA accordingly?

As per the other thread isn't this just an expensive way of adjusting the MA on your camera, ie basically assessing how far your camera front/back focuses and then adjusts the MA accordingly?

Yes, but it is really clever. It takes shots at -20 -10 0 +10 +20 both in LV and using phase detect, and then it compares the images to each other and can assess how good, or bad, it is at that point vs liveview. It produces a curved graph and uses it to pinpoint the exact MA which gives you spot on precision.

I'd previously used dot tune, and got them almost there, but using focal, it nailed it completely. I was pretty impressed tbh. Easier on Canon I think, as it automates the whole process, you have to manually change the MA on nikon.

Yes, but it is really clever. It takes shots at -20 -10 0 +10 +20 both in LV and using phase detect, and then it compares the images to each other and can assess how good, or bad, it is at that point vs liveview. It produces a curved graph and uses it to pinpoint the exact MA which gives you spot on precision.

I'd previously used dot tune, and got them almost there, but using focal, it nailed it completely. I was pretty impressed tbh. Easier on Canon I think, as it automates the whole process, you have to manually change the MA on nikon.
I appreciate it's clever etc but I can go through all the MA values and see which gives me the best results ;) The trouble with this and any calibration through MA is that it's only pinpoint at one focal length (obviously only an issue for zooms) and one camera to subject distance.

I wonder if you have a lens properly calibrated at Nikon whether this makes it spot on at all focal lengths and distances, or whether it's still a compromise?

I appreciate it's clever etc but I can go through all the MA values and see which gives me the best results ;) The trouble with this and any calibration through MA is that it's only pinpoint at one focal length (obviously only an issue for zooms) and one camera to subject distance.

I wonder if you have a lens properly calibrated at Nikon whether this makes it spot on at all focal lengths and distances, or whether it's still a compromise?

I know with the Sigma USB dock, then you can calibrate at different distances, I'd assume Nikon can do the same.

Pfft, zooms.

I know with the Sigma USB dock, then you can calibrate at different distances, I'd assume Nikon can do the same.

Pfft, zooms.
Nothing wrong with the 70-200 :p

I wish there was a local Nikon service centre I could drop my camera and lenses in to and have them all calibrated, don't fancy posting it all :confused:

Nothing wrong with the 70-200 :p

I wish there was a local Nikon service centre I could drop my camera and lenses in to and have them all calibrated, don't fancy posting it all :confused:

I have the Sigma 70-200, but don't use it often at all. Need to take it out more

I love cats ,i have 5 and am feeding 2 ferral kittens on a Lydyl car park,hoping to rescue them at some point but cant get close enough yet.
Excellent, believe it or not this is a ferral that we started feeding a couple years ago, I can't touch him, but my wife is braver than me lol. He is now a very comfortable as you can see and is making up for the years he had to sleep with one eye open.
We are also feeding another who is much friendlier. Plus the cat and dog we have had for 6+ years.
We are suckers for it

Excellent, believe it or not this is a ferral that we started feeding a couple years ago, I can't touch him, but my wife is braver than me lol. He is now a very comfortable as you can see and is making up for the years he had to sleep with one eye open.
We are also feeding another who is much friendlier. Plus the cat and dog we have had for 6+ years.
We are suckers for it
Our cat was feral, took a few years before you could stroke her and for her to sit on my lap etc. Gone too far the other way now, can't get shut of her :LOL:

Just had a nosey on your Flickr and see you're a Leicester City fan, squeaky bum time after this weekend ;) Hoping you do it but don't think Vardy's done you any favours getting himself banned, just hope Mahrez can step up to the plate and score a few.

Just had a nosey on your Flickr and see you're a Leicester City fan, squeaky bum time after this weekend ;) Hoping you do it but don't think Vardy's done you any favours getting himself banned, just hope Mahrez can step up to the plate and score a few.

I hope not and I'm cheering on Swansea this weekend!!

Vardy will miss 2 games as think they will extend his ban.

I hope not and I'm cheering on Swansea this weekend!!

Vardy will miss 2 games as think they will extend his ban.
Take it you're a Spurs fan? ;) (Or maybe Forrest?)

I'm an Man U fan and hope Leicester beat us as I want them to win the title. It may send a wake up call to the over paid pre marandonas at the big clubs and I include the Man U players in that statement

I'm an Man U fan and hope Leicester beat us as I want them to win the title. It may send a wake up call to the over paid pre marandonas at the big clubs and I include the Man U players in that statement
You have my deepest sympathies ;)

Back