Nikon D750 & D780

I've got an itchy finger right now. Lucrative contract which has left me with some spare change for boys toys and I'm finding it harder to resist. The D750 would probably suit me best but I'm also tempted by the D810.

I know, I am biased, but really do compare carefully the D750 and the D810. Discounting the fact that I had an actual fault with my D750 I have had the opportunity to handle both cameras and had I compared the two together at the beginning I'm sure I would have gone straight for the D810. There is nothing wrong with the 750 but at the price I felt it was a little cluttered with features that someone spending that sort of money would not use; I refer to scene modes specifically. The space released by not having scene modes allows the dedicated functions of Quailty (not that useful to be sure), White Balance, ISO and Exposure mode to have their own place within easy reach. Certain little features add to a positive view of the camera, for example there is a lever which closes an iris over the eyepiece so when using Live View there is no need to find that little cover that has to be attached (or use ones hand over it instead).

Little things I know, but worth checking out.

Something I noticed from earlier posts - the serial numbers of the d750 - mine is 8800xxx d750 BK IN with a number underneath on the box N1404 . I purchased early from grey import into UK . Are these numbers sequencial or do they make them random? Anyway wonder where my camera was headed for originally ? Previous posters have totally different numbers ? Any light on this ?

Here's, in my opinion, a more balanced write-up about the (non-) issue.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d750-flare-shading-issue

To date, I've only seen a small number of examples of this being an issue in real-life situations and even then would the end client have noticed it?
Finally, someone showing that it can occur with other cameras (even Canons) just as easily.

I would suggest that if you can't recreate the issue, then you probably just aren't trying hard enough. And if you are continually encountering the issue then there is a problem; it's just a few steps aft of the focus screen.

Here's, in my opinion, a more balanced write-up about the (non-) issue.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d750-flare-shading-issue

To date, I've only seen a small number of examples of this being an issue in real-life situations and even then would the end client have noticed it?

Thank you .... A good read I think this review needs to be pushed and pushed world wide maybe them people will stop Trying to pull this camera down and replicate somthing which in most cases won't ever show up!!

Still ... I'm saving really hard and I will have one of these amazing cameras because ignoring this minor thing which unless I get a real bad copy of this camera will probably never affect me the camera is TOP OF the range imho no camera comes close

It's a good article by Photography Life but the comment, "Whether some units have this particular issue or not will not matter for most people and most situations, so do not get overly concerned about it.", still hints at a production inconsistency which seems to be echoed by the experiences of users here ... some have it, some don't.
Personally I am not a lover of flare but some like to use it 'artistically' so I guess intended use will dictate whether you want to try the D750 or not.

Something I noticed from earlier posts - the serial numbers of the d750 - mine is 8800xxx d750 BK IN with a number underneath on the box N1404 . I purchased early from grey import into UK . Are these numbers sequencial or do they make them random? Anyway wonder where my camera was headed for originally ? Previous posters have totally different numbers ? Any light on this ?

Mine is also an early one at 8000XXX and from the first batch into the UK. I understand that the S/N is produced sequentially on manufacture.

It's a good article by Photography Life but the comment, "Whether some units have this particular issue or not will not matter for most people and most situations, so do not get overly concerned about it.", still hints at a production inconsistency which seems to be echoed by the experiences of users here ... some have it, some don't.
Personally I am not a lover of flare but some like to use it 'artistically' so I guess intended use will dictate whether you want to try the D750 or not.
I think the inconsistency is tolerances. If Nikon thinks those built into the camera is within specification then fair enough. If we arent happy about these tolerances then we shouldn't buy the camera or brand.

Something tells me that the D750 will still fly off the shelves because it is still a great camera.

On the subject of the D750, does it have the AA filter in front of it? Or is D810 better for details?

Last edited:
No
I think the inconsistency is tolerances. If Nikon thinks those built into the camera is within specification then fair enough. If we arent happy about these tolerances then we shouldn't buy the camera or brand.

Something tells me that the D750 will still fly off the shelves because it is still a great camera.

On the subject of the D750, does it have the AA filter in front of it? Or is D810 better for details?

You are probably right on the 'tolerances' aspect, though it's odd that the problem (though now being stated as there is previous models) was never noticed by anyone enough to raise it as an issue ... is that because it wasn't noticeable or have some togs 'artistic' use of flare only just come on the scene?

The D810 has superb image quality, the lack of filters and the extra MP gives an outstanding resolution and the size of image to provide good cropping, if that is useful to you.

Wait for a version of d750 to have the AA filter off and a dial with less scene modes. Really like the tiltable screen.

Or a D850 with tiltable screen and dual dual CF card slots.

Mine is also an early one at 8000XXX and from the first batch into the UK. I understand that the S/N is produced sequentially on manufacture.

Mine was a 8004 model and was a mid December delivered camera and grey import. With this, the numbers aern't sequentail in this instance, mine is aprrox 795k away from your's Mike and older??????

I got a D750 for Christmas! Unfortunately we were out visiting all day yesterday so I didn't get a chance to have a play. Right now the battery is on charge, I have my new memory cards ready..... my 2 year old granddaughter & her parents are coming for lunch in a couple of hours so I am raring to go.

Wait for a version of d750 to have the AA filter off and a dial with less scene modes.

Why are Scene modes on the dial an issue? 95% of my time with the camera will be spent in U1 or U2, with the remaining 5% in M.

Whilst I will never use them, if it makes the camera more accessible to those upgrading I'm all for it.

Why are Scene modes on the dial an issue? 95% of my time with the camera will be spent in U1 or U2, with the remaining 5% in M.

Whilst I will never use them, if it makes the camera more accessible to those upgrading I'm all for it.
Its not an issue but would like them to be something else, such as direct ISO dial... ;)

Thinking about a move back to dslr from fuji. 750 seems to be the best FF at the moment. For a completely new move to Nikon, what lens kit would you suggest. Mainly for travel, landscape and family shots, portraits.

Mine was a 8004 model and was a mid December delivered camera and grey import. With this, the numbers aern't sequentail in this instance, mine is aprrox 795k away from your's Mike and older??????

Well they would be, mine was a pre-order which I received three days after they went on sale. Yours you received a couple of weeks ago. There have been thousands of units manufactured and distributed since Then so that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Mikes was also an early one,

How do you know yours is older ? - surely it's newer ?

Last edited:
Thinking about a move back to dslr from fuji. 750 seems to be the best FF at the moment. For a completely new move to Nikon, what lens kit would you suggest. Mainly for travel, landscape and family shots, portraits.

Completely depends on what focal lengths you enjoy using. My Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art does pretty much everything I ask of it, it really does shine on a FF camera. That and something like the Nikon 85mm 1.8G would serve you well (I personally have the Nikon 105mm f2 instead, but that's a bit niche for some reason)

Well they would be, mine was a pre-order which I received three days after they went on sale. Yours you received a couple of weeks ago. There have been thousands of units manufactured and distributed since Then so that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Mikes was also an early one,

How do you know yours is older ? - surely it's newer ?

Sorry there was an error in the previous message. I should have just quoted Mike's serial number. Anyway................

Mike's was a 8800 model bought at release, mine was a 8004 model bought December. Pressuming Mike's was 8800000 (adding the three zeros on for both cameras for full serial number and for ease of explanantion) and mine was 8004000 there is a a 796000 difference in serial numbers. So Mike's is newer than mine if we are following sequentail numbers.

Hope that makes sense.

A couple of Christmas shots with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. +5 AF Fine Tune and it's on the button every time. The AF did an awesome job on a very excited niece on her feet for the first time with a walker, so pleased I caught it.

Christmas 2014 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Christmas 2014 by Harry_S, on Flickr

ISO 2000, 1/250, f1.4, AF-C. Considering it was fairly dark and DoF was razor thin I was so pleased with this.

Last edited:
I allways put one on these days after scratching my 1100d screen when starting out. When I had my Fuji XT1 I couldn't get a designated one for it, so I bought an ipad one from the pound shop and cut to size. For what you pay for some of them I think I will keep to this method. I have had Media Devil ones for my phone and their expensive and no better IMO. Also, I have used the GGS ones on my Xpro1 and found these good value, even when you buy knock off Asian ones in my case.

Now that the arguments have abated....:)....I shoot wildlife and have a hankering for a second body. My D800 is superb in every aspect other than it struggles with birds in flight. Is the D750 autofocus system very fast and would it be a good companion to my D800?

I haver read that the AF is as fast as the D3s, could anybody who has,or has had ,both bodies comment on that please.

@Gary Coyle

Now that the arguments have abated....:)....I shoot wildlife and have a hankering for a second body. My D800 is superb in every aspect other than it struggles with birds in flight. Is the D750 autofocus system very fast and would it be a good companion to my D800?

I haver read that the AF is as fast as the D3s, could anybody who has,or has had ,both bodies comment on that please.

@Gary Coyle

The AF is up to the job but there was an early debate on this thread that the 1/4000 may be too slow for some bird photography (kingfishers diving in water etc) - perhaps one for the bird photographers to comment on ?

The AF is up to the job but there was an early debate on this thread that the 1/4000 may be too slow for some bird photography (kingfishers diving in water etc) - perhaps one for the bird photographers to comment on ?
Hmmmm, missed reading that Nick, will go back and have a look.Thanks.

@Gary Coyle
Faster mate, blazing fast.

Lock on is faster and tracking better, in low light @ ISO 3200-12800 it kicks the ass of the D3S

I have also said that if for any reason i got back into shooting pro again i would but 2 x D750 before buying D3S's or D4's and i stand by that.

Last edited:
Faster mate, blazing fast.

Lock on is faster and tracking better, in low light @ ISO 3200-12800 it kicks the ass of the D3S

I have also said that if for any reason i got back into shooting pro again i would but 2 x D750 before buying D3S's or D4's and i stand by that.
Appreciate the input Gary, I know you call a spade a spade, so your experience and comments certainly hold water.

I`m just going through my shots and seeing if any are near 1/4000th, not many are to be honest,so maybe I could live with that. @Blank_Canvas ,thanks for pointing it out though.

The other option is a D810,but not sure how much better it is than the D800 to be honest.

Decisions,decisions.......:)

In terms of AF IIRC it has the same autofocus system as the D750 although double check that. Same sensor minus AA filter as the D800.
Thanks Steve.

Appreciate the input Gary, I know you call a spade a spade, so your experience and comments certainly hold water.

I`m just going through my shots and seeing if any are near 1/4000th, not many are to be honest,so maybe I could live with that. @Blank_Canvas ,thanks for pointing it out though.

The other option is a D810,but not sure how much better it is than the D800 to be honest.

D810 has better IQ than the D800 and the Group Area-AF is a very useful aid over and above Single AF ... BUT mine would not AF at all with my 400mm f2.8 AF-S (non-VR) when any TC was fitted - I can't say for sure but there may be an issue with older lenses and TC's so if that would be a combo you would use you might want to test beforehand.

The AF system in the D750 isnt the same as in the D4S/D800, its Nikons all new unit and even better, D4S/D810 use 3500 MKI module, D750 uses improved D3500 MKII module

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
In terms of AF IIRC it has the same autofocus system as the D750 although double check that. Same sensor minus AA filter as the D800.
see post above, D4S/D810 use 3500 MKI module, D750 uses improved D3500 MKII module

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Thanks Roger, just read up a bit and it uses the same expeed 4 as the D4s...https://photographylife.com/24-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-nikon-d810#ixzz35yjAWKsp

It also uses the same grip and batteries as the 800, which is a cost saving. It is Garys comments about the 750 being faster that has me really interested in the 750.

Edit to add....just read your last two posts Gary, makes thing s clearer,thanks again. I can`t envisage me shooting much that would induce the flare issue,so no real biggie for me.

Last edited:
Thanks Roger, just read up a bit and it uses the same expeed 4 as the D4s...https://photographylife.com/24-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-nikon-d810#ixzz35yjAWKsp

It also uses the same grip and batteries as the 800, which is a cost saving. It is Garys comments about the 750 being faster that has me really interested in the 750.

Go for it, given whats been said by you and others, it's probably just the thing for you. A friend has one and is extremely pleased with it. I've yet to borrow it but look forward too.

I can't offer advice on Birding photography, Gramps does a bit and no doubt will be a long in a bit so may have an opinion.

I can comment on the AF Performance of the D810, again like the D750 it's based on the D4S 51 AF point system. it's blistering quick and I have found there is little to distinguish if any between the D750 and the D810 in the real world and from my experience the performance is identical. From a technical point of view the 51 AF points are closer on the D750.

One immediate advantage of the D810 is that you can do some very large crops due to the sensor size. Handy if the bird or wildlife subject is some distance away.

From trusted reviews

Nikon D810 vs D750 vs D610 – Performance and AF
These aren't Nikon’s speed shooters. The 11fps Nikon D4S still reigns supreme on that front. However, with the Nikon D750 in particular, we’re starting to see really impressive speeds even from cameras not specifically designed for super-fast shooting.

The Nikon D750 is the quickest of the lot, while the Nikon D810 is hampered by the sheer amount of data produced by its 36.3-megapixel sensor.

b*****ks, just checking camera price buster now...........I think my bank account is gonna take a spanking soon.

Back