Nikon D750 & D780

Unearthed a mint Nikon 105mm f2 DC over Christmas, had a play yesterday as I'm considering it for my next wedding in a few weeks for a nice compact, relatively light D750 / Sigma 35mm 1.4 / 105mm f2 combo.

Not sure if it's the D750 helping, but AF speed is surprisingly excellent, more so given that this is a pretty old (ok, very old) design with no AF-S trickery up its sleeve. The best lens I ever owned was the A-Mount Zeiss 135mm 1.8, I didn't think anything else could come close but I'm thrilled with this Nikon, super sharp and accurate straight out of the box with no adjustment. It's built like a tank, feels great on the D750.

'DC' seems to have given this lens a misunderstood reputation, I'm sure if they had called it 'Bokeh Control' it would have sold loads now given the obsession with that these days.

Folks with a D800 and now D750 - how much is the difference in size? I've been looking at a smaller alternative to using my D800 all the time when I'm sticking my camera in a bag. I bought a Sony A7 and its nice and all with great IQ but I'm struggling a little with the handling of it and have half an eye on maybe getting a smaller FX body - the D610 or D750 both look really good and buying a grey import the prices are looking very competitive!

Folks with a D800 and now D750 - how much is the difference in size? I've been looking at a smaller alternative to using my D800 all the time when I'm sticking my camera in a bag. I bought a Sony A7 and its nice and all with great IQ but I'm struggling a little with the handling of it and have half an eye on maybe getting a smaller FX body - the D610 or D750 both look really good and buying a grey import the prices are looking very competitive!
I've always found the D700 and D800 bodies thicker than what I'd like. The Canon 5D I had before the D700 felt very comfortable and the D750 with its thinner front-to-back depth and deeper finger grip is significantly more comfortable for me to hold than my D700 (and the D800 I recently sold).

I've always found the D700 and D800 bodies thicker than what I'd like. The Canon 5D I had before the D700 felt very comfortable and the D750 with its thinner front-to-back depth and deeper finger grip is significantly more comfortable for me to hold than my D700 (and the D800 I recently sold).

I coped fine with the D7000/D600 sized bodies as something that was in my "man" bag all the time (with a few primes) but the D800 is just that extra bit chunky to fit in the bag - I guess in the D750 I was hoping for something D600/610 size with a slightly better hand grip!

I coped fine with the D7000/D600 sized bodies as something that was in my "man" bag all the time (with a few primes) but the D800 is just that extra bit chunky to fit in the bag - I guess in the D750 I was hoping for something D600/610 size with a slightly better hand grip!
I've not handled the D7000 nor D600, but unless I'm mistaken the D750 is marginally smaller than the D6xx so I'd imagine you'd find it just as comfortable.

I would say the D750 is closer to the D7000 size and weight IMO. I have hand disabilities and I have found it comfortable to hold for a DSLR.

Chris, have a look at the camera size comparison site to give you some idea of different sizes and weights.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#567,290
http://camerasize.com/compare/#567,378

I've not handled the D7000 nor D600, but unless I'm mistaken the D750 is marginally smaller than the D6xx so I'd imagine you'd find it just as comfortable.

I would say the D750 is closer to the D7000 size and weight IMO. I have hand disabilities and I have found it comfortable to hold for a DSLR.

Thanks guys I may need to have a look at that then, I wouldn't get rid of the D800 its great for a lot of things but a D6xx/D750 might just be better for travel and everyday use.

Unearthed a mint Nikon 105mm f2 DC over Christmas, had a play yesterday as I'm considering it for my next wedding in a few weeks for a nice compact, relatively light D750 / Sigma 35mm 1.4 / 105mm f2 combo.

Not sure if it's the D750 helping, but AF speed is surprisingly excellent, more so given that this is a pretty old (ok, very old) design with no AF-S trickery up its sleeve. The best lens I ever owned was the A-Mount Zeiss 135mm 1.8, I didn't think anything else could come close but I'm thrilled with this Nikon, super sharp and accurate straight out of the box with no adjustment. It's built like a tank, feels great on the D750.

'DC' seems to have given this lens a misunderstood reputation, I'm sure if they had called it 'Bokeh Control' it would have sold loads now given the obsession with that these days.

Good to know. I too have a 105 DC and am considering a D750. I've always found D lenses quick to focus, and being F/2, it pulls in lots of light. Mine requires zero micro AF adjust on my D700. Always reassuring.
It's one of my best feeling lenses. Always a joy to use. Just been playing with it and some extension tubes for close focus stuff. Very impressive. At F/2 the DOF is minimal and the OOF stuff fantastic! It's why I've not bothered to get an 85mm F1.8G. In fact with the tubes and the 105DC, I could sell my micro-nikkor 105 D. Having 2 105mm lenses is a luxury.

Chris, i was used to the full sized pro D3S and D4 cameras and the D800 and had massive reservations as id already owned and got rid of the D600 because of the size, the grip on the D750 somehow gives the camera a more substantial feel so i would t worry about it

Chris, i was used to the full sized pro D3S and D4 cameras and the D800 and had massive reservations as id already owned and got rid of the D600 because of the size, the grip on the D750 somehow gives the camera a more substantial feel so i would t worry about it

Thats reassuring Gary thanks!

Thanks guys I may need to have a look at that then, I wouldn't get rid of the D800 its great for a lot of things but a D6xx/D750 might just be better for travel and everyday use.

Ive used the D700 and D800 and loved the handling, but I find the D750 a lot lighter and more compact, much nicer to hold imo. Those small differences in size and weight really make all the difference and the grip is incredibly comfy.

You guys that have had D3 or gripped 700/800 before getting the 750, do you find the body too small or do you buy the grips for the 750?

You guys that have had D3 or gripped 700/800 before getting the 750, do you find the body too small or do you buy the grips for the 750?

I prefer a grip on the D750 as it stops the little finger from curling under the base plate. Also if your holding it for 8-10 hours with a 24mm -70mm for example it offers more balance. Just my personal opinion, others will have their own view.

I have the d3 and the d750 I prefer the d3 handling but i am 6ft 3 and have big hands

Ive got a pixel grip Ade but havnt really used it at all, the hand grip on the D750 ir remarkably comfy mate and does give the camera a sense of being bigger, however, not used the camera with large or telephoto lenses

Ive got a pixel grip Ade but havnt really used it at all, the hand grip on the D750 ir remarkably comfy mate and does give the camera a sense of being bigger, however, not used the camera with large or telephoto lenses
Thanks all.

You will do in the spring Gary....;)

Faster mate, blazing fast.

Lock on is faster and tracking better, in low light @ ISO 3200-12800 it kicks the ass of the D3S

I have also said that if for any reason i got back into shooting pro again i would but 2 x D750 before buying D3S's or D4's and i stand by that.

Interesting to hear Gary, Even though the D750 has a max 6.5fps compared to the D3s 9fps & D4's 10fps wouldn't you find that a disadvantage for the sports for example if your photographing a celebration or such event and you need all the shots you can get? The max buffers of D3s (82 in JPEG & 42 in RAW) & D4's (170 in JPEG & 98 in RAW) Compared to the D750's 87 in JPEG & 33 in RAW, for the sports and JPEG shooting the D3s and D750 are about the same only fps difference but the D4 beats this hands down, okay I know there is no need to shoot 170 shots continuously as that would be abit daft. Interesting to hear about the focusing aswell, I did have a play with one in the local LCE with a 70-200mm f/2.8VRII and it worked amazing well interesting to know its miles faster than the D3s, which has the same focusing motor as my D3 If I'm correct?

The low-light AF on this thing is mental. Shockingly fast to lock on. Decision made for me. I'll be shooting the 2015 season on a pair of these.

Interesting to hear Gary, Even though the D750 has a max 6.5fps compared to the D3s 9fps & D4's 10fps wouldn't you find that a disadvantage for the sports for example if your photographing a celebration or such event and you need all the shots you can get? The max buffers of D3s (82 in JPEG & 42 in RAW) & D4's (170 in JPEG & 98 in RAW) Compared to the D750's 87 in JPEG & 33 in RAW, for the sports and JPEG shooting the D3s and D750 are about the same only fps difference but the D4 beats this hands down, okay I know there is no need to shoot 170 shots continuously as that would be abit daft. Interesting to hear about the focusing aswell, I did have a play with one in the local LCE with a 70-200mm f/2.8VRII and it worked amazing well interesting to know its miles faster than the D3s, which has the same focusing motor as my D3 If I'm correct?
Buffer a non issue Joe, the FPS could be, but know your sport, anticipate and choose what to shoot and i dont see that as a problem either.

Ah well, the deed is done.

The low-light AF on this thing is mental. Shockingly fast to lock on. Decision made for me. I'll be shooting the 2015 season on a pair of these.

Shot a wedding yesterday with a 750, I completely agree about the AF & great high ISO performance but I'm not ready to replace my 810's with two of these. For the time being I'll stick with using a mix of the two, another wedding Saturday so see if I change mind mind with a little more use.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what you think of it for the wildlife mate
Will do Joe,the awful weather up here will certainly test up here over the next few weeks.

I`ll do a mini write up in a month or so pal.

the D3s and D750 are about the same only fps difference but the D4 beats this hands down,
I use the D810 in FX (5fps) and DX (7fps), and the D4 (10fps). When trying to catch something like the split second an eagle pulls a fish from the water, a kingfisher breaks the water, or a ball hits the bat, it doesn't seem to matter that much. The higher frame rate will get you a few more "closer" images. But the perfect moment always seems to occur between frames if you're hoping for FPS to catch it for you ;).

IMO, for this kind of stuff 5 is a bit too slow, 7 is adequate, and 10 is just "nicer."
I have a camera that will do 15fps (Nikon V2) but that rate tends to annoy me as it just records too many images per burst.

It still comes down to knowledge/experience/timing/reflexes... I actually think that if we do get to a point where frame rate eliminates that I will be annoyed. I like the challenge.

and theres me Currently stuck on 4fps with my D800 :D Its pretty poor but its worth it for the amazing quality the camera produces!
Well, you could get it up to 6 if you're going to have to crop anyway. IMO, the bigger issue is the D800's AF accuracy and tracking for this kind of stuff.
My D800 wasn't very good/consistent and I had to have all sorts of AFMA adjustments for different lenses/distances... I really wasn't at all happy with it as an action camera. The D810 is much better than the D800 and up to ~ ISO 1600 I'll use it over the D4.

Last edited:
Well, you could get it up to 6 if you're going to have to crop anyway. IMO, the bigger issue is the D800's AF accuracy and tracking for this kind of stuff.
My D800 wasn't very good/consistent and I had to have all sorts of AFMA adjustments for different lenses/distances... I really wasn't at all happy with it as an action camera. The D810 is much better than the D800 and up to ~ ISO 1600 I'll use it over the D4.

Prefer always getting the full 36mp file personally rather than the crop mode, The D800 does suffer on the AF I must admit but its quick enough to capture fast birds in flight even with the 1.7x converter on my 400mm, here is a example of a bird coming towards me in flight ( link below along with more examples on flickr if you want to have a look ) Also I agree I only will go to ISO 1600 maybe 2000 max!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeturnerimages/15966291246/in/photostream/

Prefer always getting the full 36mp file personally rather than the crop mode, The D800 does suffer on the AF I must admit but its quick enough to capture fast birds in flight even with the 1.7x converter on my 400mm, here is a example of a bird coming towards me in flight ( link below along with more examples on flickr if you want to have a look ) Also I agree I only will go to ISO 1600 maybe 2000 max!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeturnerimages/15966291246/in/photostream/
If given the choice of using a longer FL and filling the frame beyond a DX crop, then I'll take the full 36mp as well.

I can see the D800 keeping up with a duck coming in for landing, that's not really all that demanding. But even at that level I think my D800 was a bit hit/miss.
And then there are things that nothing can reliably keep up with... like kingfishers diving.

It still comes down to knowledge/experience/timing/reflexes... I actually think that if we do get to a point where frame rate eliminates that I will be annoyed. I like the challenge.

Very pleased to have read this. Often when new bodies come out people moan about frame rate, do that many people really need more than a few FPS?! I've shot Motorsport for 10 years and 99% of the time I'm in Single Shot mode, for most things you develop a feel for when to hit the shutter release.

Club at Thruxton Circuit is a favourite of mine for it, I would never tell anyone how to shoot, but there are a core of people behind the fence shooting 10 frames every single time a car hits the curb...I've always wondered why (and how dull it must be to edit later), you can easily nail the peak moment with one shot after a few practice runs.

Back