Nikon D750 & D780

You should be ok on f3.5 but generally the faster the better. As the stars are moving, exposure time only really affects the landscape and sky exposure - the stars should always come out bright. The only part of the exposure triangle that really affects the star brightness is iso and aperture.
Try a setting of f3.5, iso 1600 and 30 second shutter speed and adjust iso and aperture from there.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Won't I get movement of the stars with a 30s exposure though?

@snerkler Kinder will be crap mate. Far too much light pollution from Sheffield, Manchester, Castleton, Hope and Edale.

Surprise view is a classified dark sky area although it can't compete with the likes of Wales and Northumberland. You could find somewhere in the valley and shoot upwards which would help.

@snerkler Kinder will be crap mate. Far too much light pollution from Sheffield, Manchester, Castleton, Hope and Edale.

Surprise view is a classified dark sky area although it can't compete with the likes of Wales and Northumberland. You could find somewhere in the valley and shoot upwards which would help.
Oh, I thought Kinder was classed as one our best dark areas, must've got my wires crossed somewhere.

Surprise View is the area I was referring to when I said Owler Tor (y) I assume you're meaning in a Valley in the Surprise View and not 'the Valleys' in Wales? :LOL: I take it you've got a better chance of shielding from light pollution doing this then? I'd have thought the opposite and headed as high as possible :facepalm:

Bugger.

Oh, I thought Kinder was classed as one our best dark areas, must've got my wires crossed somewhere.

Surprise View is the area I was referring to when I said Owler Tor (y) I assume you're meaning in a Valley in the Surprise View and not 'the Valleys' in Wales? :LOL: I take it you've got a better chance of shielding from light pollution doing this then? I'd have thought the opposite and headed as high as possible :facepalm:

Yes, unless you're a fan of the orange glowing horizon, better off shooting upwards if you can. Don't get me wrong, it's still possible but it's the highest point in the Peak District so you can see for miles. Light pollution sucks around there. Magpie Mine is very popular for night stuff. 18mm would be good there. Just remember that the wider you shoot the longer it takes to fill the frame with stars. If you could frame something with a 50mm somewhere then it shouldn't take too long. Take a torch too and have a go at some light painting.

Lol, no I was looking at places in my area so wouldn't have looked at Northumberland. Thanks though (y)
I just thought the two might have sounded similar if you'd heard Kielder mentioned somewhere.

Anyway, I thought Kinder was a chocolate egg. :coat:

Just had a reply from Nikon advising me that after thorough testing they have managed to identify the fault and have performed all the necessary re-adjustments and calibrations. They haven't said what was wrong, so have just emailed to ask. 'Worrying' that it tested fine at first, but at least they've found something in the end. Just looking forward to having a fully functioning camera again, 3rd time lucky?

Just had a reply from Nikon advising me that after thorough testing they have managed to identify the fault and have performed all the necessary re-adjustments and calibrations. They haven't said what was wrong, so have just emailed to ask. 'Worrying' that it tested fine at first, but at least they've found something in the end. Just looking forward to having a fully functioning camera again, 3rd time lucky?
It was probably a loose screw. Hope it really is cured this time.

Perhaps some of the chocolate had melted inside?

It was probably a loose screw. Hope it really is cured this time.

Perhaps some of the chocolate had melted inside?

Or maybe it was hard pad?

Well the response that I got was that the right hand focus points were back focussed and it's not been recalibrated so that it's balanced across all AF points, and has been tested with an AFS 70-200mm f2.8 II lens. Not quite the answer I was hoping for, I was interested to know why they were back focussing though, ie module misalignment etc, or maybe it's just software related. Also, I'm not sure how/why this would influence the hit rate of other Af points but I don't process to understand the complicated working of these AF systems. I do think minnnt could be onto something though, perhaps they'd used whole nut instead of dairy milk.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, as long as it comes back OK.

:banana::clap::banana:

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-08%20at%2014.57.18_zpsm1nwr4zx.png

That's it camera has gone this morning, glad I went out at the weekend at least I will have somethink to play with for awhile.

Hopefully they don't find any chocolate parts melted :D

A quick question for some of you guys, sometimes I find the camera is moving to a narrower apature than I want it to, even in A or M. Today for instance it moved down from 2.8 to 5 and wouldn't come back until I pointed it at a cloud and I could move it back down to 2.8, any idea which weird arse setting I've found?

Are you using a variable app zoom and changing the focal length?

Are you using a variable app zoom and changing the focal length?
No, it was on a 90mm 2.8 prime, but yes that would have made sense.

Didn't happen on the 50mm 1.8 so it must be a lens thing, I'll try again another day, odd though

No, it was on a 90mm 2.8 prime, but yes that would have made sense.

Didn't happen on the 50mm 1.8 so it must be a lens thing, I'll try again another day, odd though
Is it the 90mm 2.8 prime a macro lens? What kind of focus distance would the fault occur at? I say this as I had a macro lens that would alter the aperture. if it was set wide open at f2.8 when you focused more closely it would close the aperture down automatically. How far it stopped down was dependent on how close you focused.sorry I can't remember exact distances it occurred over. @boyfalldown comment reminded me about it.

It was at range (just normal people shots), maybe a couple of meters but yeah it was the macro, I'll have a google later and see if it's "by design"

Thanks both :)

It was at range (just normal people shots), maybe a couple of meters but yeah it was the macro, I'll have a google later and see if it's "by design"

Thanks both :)
Aha, macro lenses do stop down depending on focus distance. From memory they are only at max aperture at large subject distances.

Turns out that 'spend your money on what you want' doesn't actually mean that. The look I got when a new Sigma 105 macro turned up today was enough to sour milk.
Means my D750 aspirations are shall we say 'on hold' for a while.
Guess I'll scuttle off back to the D7200 forum for a while [emoji52]

Had a few minutes to try my camera out this lunchtime and initial tests suggest that it's 'fixed'. There's still a tendency to slight front focus (but still within limits) and the outside ones on both sides front focus a touch more than the centre ones but guess this could just be field/lens curvature (can't remember what Twist called it a while ago :oops: :$) from the wide aperture. Both sides are at least equal, I've never tested outer points on charts before prior to getting the issue so this could well be normal. Initial tests taking actual pics rather than charts gave pretty much equal sharpness from centre, right and left AF points. It would appear that it's probably gone back to how it was before sending it in for the second recall before I asked them to correct the general front focus. I'll do some further testing over the next couple of days, but so far so good :clap: It appears they may have replaced the chocolate with a more endurable peanut brittle. Will be a while before I get to test AF-C hit rate properly though.

Oh, and in the process I've gained a spare battery ;) (although me being me I will advise Nikon that they left the battery in and offer to send it back)

Last edited:
Turns out that 'spend your money on what you want' doesn't actually mean that. The look I got when a new Sigma 105 macro turned up today was enough to sour milk.

I think you need a new missus... Along with a D750.

Buy from someone who offers 'Click and Collect'

Meh, most cameras look alike to wimmin. Just get the 750 ordered then tell err indoors that youve sent yours off for repair and it should be coming back soon......worked for me.

Meh, most cameras look alike to wimmin. Just get the 750 ordered then tell err indoors that youve sent yours off for repair and it should be coming back soon......worked for me.
Hmmm - not a bad plan as we did just send my sons D7100 off yesterday for a warranty repair.

Jules what is it you're hoping the D7200 can offer over the D750?

Last edited:
Jules what is it you're hoping the D750 can offer over the D750?

I just want to make the leap to full frame. Most of my lenses are FX and I could use the extra width on my 24-70 quite often. I know there's not a lot else to be gained - maybe a stop or two more iso usability and shallower depth of field.

Lol...I feel your pain. Reminds me of this advert: :)
image.jpeg

Yeah - I think she forgot to add 'if you dare' to the end of the sentence.

Back