Nikon D750 & D780

If you haven't already looked;) The Robin is with the D750 and 300mm AFS F4 Prime @ ISO 2000 and the Coal Tit is with the D810 and Sigma 150-600mm @ ISO 1600. I just wanted to show how the D810 handles the noise for dark green colours which I find a pain sometimes. They have both cleaned up okay, but like you, I feel the CT has more pop to it. Nothing scientific but to just give you a rough idea.
No I didn't look, no point. I have of course just done so now. As you say, not scientific but useful nonetheless. Looking at the EXIF I see the Robin was at 300mm vs 550mm for the CT, therefore I assume that the Robin was more heavily cropped which could explain why the CT looks more detailed? Also, heavier crops tend to show up noise more ;) But nice to see what each is capable of (y)

Last edited:
No I didn't look, no point. I have of course just done so now. As you say, not scientific but useful nonetheless. Looking at the EXIF I see the Robin was at 300mm vs 550mm for the CT, therefore I assume that the Robin was more heavily cropped which could explain why the CT looks more detailed? Also, heavier crops tend to show up noise more ;) But nice to see what each is capable of (y)

Looking at the original sizes on Flickr it looks like the Robin is around a 39% crop of the original and the Coal Tit around 37% of the original (longest edge)

So not much in them

Last edited:
Looking at the original sizes on Flickr it looks like the Robin is around a 39% crop of the original and the Coal Tit around 37% of the original (longest edge)

So not much in them
Cool thanks, I didnt see how big the originals were TBH :oops: :$

So not much in them

Thanks Dave,

I wasn't sure if the D750 & 300mm had the 1.4TC on it, as it was usually welded on, Flickr sates 300mm though for the Robin........... Maths isn't my strongest point, but are were also cropping 50% more from the 36mp compared to the 24mp anyway.....So your cropping a lot more from the D810 in the CT photo, and in theory the noise should be a lot worse?

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,

I wasn't sure if the D750 & 300mm had the 1.4TC on it, as it was usually welded on, Flickr sates 300mm though for the Robin........... Maths isn't my strongest point, but are were also cropping 50% more from the 36mp compared to the 24mp anyway.....So your cropping a lot more from the D810 in the CT photo, and in theory the noise should be a lot worse?
If you compare the long edge, the Coal Tit is 2794 which is 38% of the original 7360 of the D810. The Robin is 2380 which is 39.5% of the original 6016, so it would assume both have been cropped by pretty much the same amount. I can therefore deduce that the coal tit must have been further away ;)

Whilst still trying to decide whether to swap to the D810 I stumbled across this review, and it appear that my D750 was not the only Nikon to struggle with f1.4 lenses. Seems several of the Nikons are made out of various forms of confectionary ;)
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d810/4

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%2010.32.54_zps5b3ksnph.png

I wonder what the issue is and why some have problems and some don't? :confused:o_O

Whilst still trying to decide whether to swap to the D810 I stumbled across this review, and it appear that my D750 was not the only Nikon to struggle with f1.4 lenses. Seems several of the Nikons are made out of various forms of confectionary ;)
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d810/4

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-11%20at%2010.32.54_zps5b3ksnph.png

I wonder what the issue is and why some have problems and some don't? :confused:o_O

I think that this is the major reason I've been waiting for the sigma 85 art f1.4, as you can calibrate it with the dock over several distances

I think that this is the major reason I've been waiting for the sigma 85 art f1.4, as you can calibrate it with the dock over several distances
Yep, will be great when out. Think it will over budget for me initially so I'll have to wait for the second hand market, although I'd imagine they'll be scarce 2nd hand.

I thought it was well known fact that earlier D800 series along with the D7000 had focus issues and had recall's IIRC. ...Again, IIRC it was a left side AF issue with the D800 on early models ...........Nikon have been letting their buyers carryout there QC testing over the last few years by the look of things.

Last edited:
I thought it was well known fact that earlier D800 series along with the D7000 had focus issues and had recall's IIRC. ...Again, IIRC it was a left side AF issue with the D800 on early models ...........Nikon have been letting their buyers carryout there QC testing over the last few years by the look of things.
Dunno, first I've heard of it tbh. But then I was a <cough> Sony shooter <cough> before buying the D750 ;)

Just had a quote for £860 for my D750 from one of the online stores, certainly wouldn't let it go for that so would have to look at selling privately if I go the D810 route.

Sent mine off on Tuesday to Nikon, how do you track the repair and do they acknowledge receipt as I have heard nothing yet.

Sent mine off on Tuesday to Nikon, how do you track the repair and do they acknowledge receipt as I have heard nothing yet.
I usually get an email confirmation within a couple of days with info on how to check progress.

Yep, the first D7000 I bought had to go back because of this, the replacement was fine. And some D800's had it too as you say.

Dunno, first I've heard of it tbh. But then I was a <cough> Sony shooter <cough> before buying the D750 ;)

Just had a quote for £860 for my D750 from one of the online stores, certainly wouldn't let it go for that so would have to look at selling privately if I go the D810 route.

Seems like a fair price from a dealer, hasn't your camera got something like 60k on the clock?

I initially sold mine for £900 with 8k on the clock, but I pushed for a little more as it was minty and WEX upped the price to £930. Camera was only about four months old as well.

Grey or UK Simon?

Grey, but they never asked. It's the second one I have sold to them. I also sold my 1st grey one to Harrison Cameras who give cash., WEX is a credit note though.

The only company who have asked if grey were MPB.

Last edited:
Seems like a fair price from a dealer, hasn't your camera got something like 60k on the clock?

I initially sold mine for £900 with 8k on the clock, but I pushed for a little more as it was minty and WEX upped the price to £930. Camera was only about four months old as well.
53k on the clock but shutter replaced at 51k, plus is UK. Yep, not a bad price, but I'd hope for quite a bit more sold privately.

You boys and your gas, I'm officially fully rehabilitated.

:D:D Me too completely Gas-less now. Most cameras these days offer more than what we really need, Spoilt with choices, we just create needs that may not exist...but somehow satisfies us in our head.

:D:D Me too completely Gas-less now. Most cameras these days offer more than what we really need, Spoilt with choices, we just create needs that may not exist...but somehow satisfies us in our head.
I was Gas-less until my recent experiences, but even though it's back to 'normal' the bond has been broken ;)

Completely agree. I also fully understand that some people get a kick out of gear and keeps them interested but there are some that take it a bit too far for an enthusiast.

I was Gas-less until my recent experiences, but even though it's back to 'normal' the bond has been broken ;)
It's reports like your that have stopped me sending mine in. Currently I cant seem to find fault with mine and I'm worried that sending it in means it could come back faulty. I was thinking of trying to send it in after Skomer in July......then I planned two trips in August..... Then mid September it's the start of the deer rut.....then October/November it's seals and owls. There never seems to be a good time.

There have been so many issues with new Nikon cameras over the last 4-5 years, I don't think a single camera that's not been a d3xxx or d5xxx series camera hasn't had a fault at some point especially early models. As far as I'm aware the d7000, d7100, d600, d800, d750 and d4 have all had problems. In some ways it seems that recent 'model updates ' like the d7200, d610, d810, d4s all were really done in someways to sort out issues. The cynic in me would say some of the issues were done just to entice people to upgrade (limiting buffer on d7100). The oil spots and constant AF issues haven't helped nikons reputation. That said cameras coming back faulty after recalls definitely shouldn't happen.

Completely agree. I also fully understand that some people get a kick out of gear and keeps them interested but there are some that take it a bit too far for an enthusiast.

I've been guilty in the past of camera GAS, some of it was not being happy with AF problems (d7000) and a move to full frame to get shallow DoF and better ISO. With the D750 it just seems right. Great performance in the right sized body for me. I've never understood this whole 'pro' body thing, I think it's partly in people's minds. I definitely agree that cameras offer more than we need. I can't see a reason for me to change any time soon.

Sent my request off today so it'll be going in when they email me the details. Have barely used it Recently so won't miss it for a few weeks

Well that was the plan but the one i wanted has sold so i may just stay put.

Second hand prices do seem to have dropped recently on the d750. Whether that's due to the two recalls or the great grey prices that they were being bought for (especially the 24-120 kit price that people started to wise up to). Didn't the 'kit' lens offer mean people were effectively buying the d750 'body only' new for around £950-1000 at one point a year or two ago? The d750 for around £900-1000 is a great price when you think the d500 is £1700 at present. The d600 is a steal too, for quite a modern fx camera they can be had for about £600.

Buying new with 24-120 seemed popular choice, but now the market is flooded with 24-120s they go for so damn cheap. Personally I prefer the 24-85. My most used and abused lens lol.

Back