Nikon D750 & D780

Sold the 70-200 today.

Anyone have any idea how the sigma 105 macro compares to the Nikon?

I've had the Sigma on the D750 and it's a great lens, but I have recently bought a Tokina 100mm macro lens and IMO it's sharper than the Sigma from my initial testing, although I'm using a D810 now. You also lose the OS/VR with the Tokina, but another lens to consider?

Last edited:
So I did the Kris Karl workshop today and thoroughly enjoyed it, covered an awful lot and so would highly recommend to anyone interested in portraiture. I posted the previous post whilst there. My focus lock doesn't beep, which for normal shooting is how I like it, but one tip in the studio was to have it on for the model to help with blinking (great tip). Problem is, when enabled, it still doesn't beep? Could someone try enabling theirs and let me know if it works for you (D1 in the menu)?

Also had a camera freeze moment too towards the back end of the shoot. Had to remove the battery to bring back to life. My 750 is the most unreliable camera I have ever had but it's behaved itself for the longest period until today.

Last edited:
So I did the Kris Karl workshop today and thoroughly enjoyed it, covered an awful lot and so would highly recommend to anyone interested in portraiture. I posted the previous post whilst there. My focus lock doesn't beep, which for normal shooting is how I like it, but one tip in the studio was to have it on for the model to help with blinking (great tip). Problem is, when enabled, it still doesn't beep? Could someone try enabling theirs and let me know if it works for you (D1 in the menu)?

Also had a camera freeze moment too towards the back end of the shoot. Had to remove the battery to bring back to life. My 750 is the most unreliable camera I have ever had but it's behaved itself for the longest period until today.
Beep works if in AF-S. I don't have mine on me at the mo (packed up to go back to Nikon) but I can choose the pitch and volume. Obviously won't work with AF-C, and I'm not sure if it works with BBF either?

Mine froze on me today too :rolleyes: Definitely the most unreliable camera I've had too, hopefully the new one will be better :)

Yep. I thought it may have been the BBF and specifically changed to AFS too, still no beep.

I'll have another look tomorrow at some point.
You've not been shooting in Q or Qc drive mode have you?

Does the countdown beep sound with timer release?

So, I did the Kris Karl workshop yesterday and must say it was very good indeed. Never done anything like this before and picked up quite a few top tips. We covered hell of a lot throughout the day and so very good value for money. A quick dirty edit of a few images taken..

29164731783_d10c862907_b.jpg

29497880570_bb740ee897_b.jpg

29754405026_1291fa1cb0_b.jpg

29497880200_8b89bccdec_b.jpg

So, I did the Kris Karl workshop yesterday and must say it was very good indeed. Never done anything like this before and picked up quite a few top tips. We covered hell of a lot throughout the day and so very good value for money. A quick dirty edit of a few images taken..

Wow, cracking images those. Were you taught how to edit them too?

All great, but I love the second one

No, he's sent a link to a video tutorial and some presets. I'm getting a little happier with my PP of late, always more to learn though.

Something I need to learn more of, I'm happy with my wedding workflow and edits, but need to learn a lot more on the portrait side of things

No, he's sent a link to a video tutorial and some presets. I'm getting a little happier with my PP of late, always more to learn though.
Looks very good to me. I'm useless at doing the face, getting that perfect smooth skin, eyes to pop etc. I know the plastered on make-up helps with the smooth skin, but there's still a lot of work to be done. I'm going through the process of watching PS videos at the mo as I can't help but feel that I could make my images better (ie fake it ;)) with PS better than LR.

Something I need to learn more of, I'm happy with my wedding workflow and edits, but need to learn a lot more on the portrait side of things

Looks very good to me. I'm useless at doing the face, getting that perfect smooth skin, eyes to pop etc. I know the plastered on make-up helps with the smooth skin, but there's still a lot of work to be done. I'm going through the process of watching PS videos at the mo as I can't help but feel that I could make my images better (ie fake it ;)) with PS better than LR.

Thanks chaps. I'm no different really, I haven't properly mastered frequency separation and haven't had the time to hone any dodge and burn technique, it's too time consuming. My general workflow is far better now and I try to spend little time doing it as I can. I have a couple of quick, lazy methods I use so it could be far better but it'll do for me, I have no plans to do anything more than a hobby.

Thanks chaps. I'm no different really, I haven't properly mastered frequency separation and haven't had the time to hone any dodge and burn technique, it's too time consuming. My general workflow is far better now and I try to spend little time doing it as I can. I have a couple of quick, lazy methods I use so it could be far better but it'll do for me, I have no plans to do anything more than a hobby.
I don't know PS full stop ;) I'm reasonably comfortable with LR, but I'm sure I could still be a lot better. I see some before and after pics and I've no idea how they've done it :LOL:

Most of it is done in LR, especially the toning. Only use PS for a general clean up, FS and resize for web etc. I have a load of actions that I've amassed over the years and so generally start with how I want it to look. I have a few split tone presets that I have made and so for the second one had a little play with those and saturated how I felt. Eyes can sometimes be a bit tricky and I see some people take them to a whole new level.

Good work Kris.

I have been away for a while, but the news of Sigma 85 1.4 Art has caught my attention as I shoot portraits mostly.

Is anyone here thinking of getting the 85 Art? This could be a top portrait lens.

Mine works on bbf on afs.

Check the volume. Only works with AF-S. And make sure the shutter release isn't set to 'Q'. Sorry if you've already checked these. All I can think of.

Check the volume. Only works with AF-S. And make sure the shutter release isn't set to 'Q'. Sorry if you've already checked these. All I can think of.

Looking at this issue now and it's the same on my 610 too so must be a setting as set up the same. In CL, AFS, and beep is on?? It does beep on timer??

Looking at this issue now and it's the same on my 610 too so must be a setting as set up the same. In CL, AFS, and beep is on?? It does beep on timer??

So both beep on timer but not with focus lock? Have you tried it in S rather than CL? Do you have it set to focus or release in the AF settings? Try setting it to focus if it's not already.

Sussed it! Priority selection is on release. To get the beep, it needs to be on focus. Makes sense, as you can't fire the shutter in focus mode unless it has obtained focus.

What a faff ton find that.

Sussed it! Priority selection is on release. To get the beep, it needs to be on focus. Makes sense, as you can't fire the shutter in focus mode unless it has obtained focus.

What a faff ton find that.
You sussed it before my post above then? ;)

You sussed it before my post above then? ;)

Ah, yes, but thanks all the same Toby.

Was a good tip yesterday, a decent model should recognise the focus beep and so not blink until the shutter goes off. Camera noises are annoying in my book normally but can see it useful in that scenario.

Is there a way to keep the focus point illuminated at all times rather than just when you half press the shutter? The reason that I ask is that sometimes with a dark scene it's very hard to see the focus point in the viewfinder. There is the option for Auto, On or OFF but that only affects it when the shutter is half pressed.

Last edited:
No one replying to my thread so will try in here...

So looking for a compact bag that will hold a D750 plus 1 short lens (50mm) + camera strap.

Needs to look a little less camera bag like. The TT Retro 5 is on the shortlist but any alternatives that are similar?

Its just for trips in to the City etc when wanting to travel uber light!

Suggestions please!

Back