Nikon D750 & D780

Didn't know they'd redesigned it. Not good if they've made it worse :confused:

Yeah rather than attaching the brad on the strap at the back they have some new slide on clip, that unfortunately for me, slides off lol

I'm going to try the new cross shot in the shop and give the slide another go.

I can't get the peak designs strap to work for me. With just the 50mm attached I can't get it to sit well.

I picked up the new black rapid sport breathe today and was initially impressed until the brad strap worked its way loose on back connection.

2 years in development apparantly and such a lousy job!!! Strap itself is great, but imo has a serious flaw!

I love my peak designs straps, I have both the clutch and the slide

After spending the week in Norfolk, I decided after waking up at 6am (5 sunrises in 7th days seems to altered my sleeping pattern!) this morning that I would visit Woburn again to see what's going on with the red deer rut. I thought I would post a few on here. At one point I got a bit closer than I wanted to, one Red Deer stag decided he wanted to walk in the 5m gap between myself and a pond. I slowly backed off to give a bit more room, it turns out they are pretty huge close up and those antlers look sharp too!!

Red Deer Bellow
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Deer on the ridge
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Well my new D750 didn't turn up today despite Nikon phoning me on Friday to arrange delivery. They just continue to impress me with their service :rolleyes:

Well my new D750 didn't turn up today despite Nikon phoning me on Friday to arrange delivery. They just continue to impress me with their service :rolleyes:

That sucks!

Have Nikon said if it's their fault or the delivery company fault? Have you asked for the tracking number as I doubt they would send a valuable item by untracked delivery.
Waiting to hear back. However, every time they've sent stuff before I've had a confirmation from the delivery company that they have been assigned to send a parcel from Nikon so my initial assumption is that it's not been sent.

Do they have your current camera?
Nope, supposed to pick that up at the same time as dropping the new one off. It's all boxed and sealed up though and I can't be bothered to unbox it again as it's the second time I've had it boxed up ready for collection.

I'm thinking of moving back to DX and the D500 with the 16-80.

Opinions on the move back would be great based on the below...

I tried my hand at wedding photography and just did not enjoy it and it's not for me.

I did and still do a great deal of equestrian photography and pet photography and this is what I am going back too. I already have some shoots lined up and will be attending some events so really considering the D500.

Main reasons are the crop factor, fps and focus points.

I am currently using the 24-120 and 50 on the D750 and would look at getting the 16-80 and 35 and maybe the 70-300.

Thoughts on moving back to DX? What would I be losing out on?

I'm thinking of moving back to DX and the D500 with the 16-80.

Opinions on the move back would be great based on the below...

I tried my hand at wedding photography and just did not enjoy it and it's not for me.

I did and still do a great deal of equestrian photography and pet photography and this is what I am going back too. I already have some shoots lined up and will be attending some events so really considering the D500.

I am currently using the 24-120 and 50 on the D750 and would look at getting the 16-80 and 35 and maybe the 70-300.

Thoughts on moving back to DX? What would I be losing out on?
If you don't need the noise handling the D500 is a superb camera. If you mainly shoot sports, wildlife and 'domestic' animals running around the AF system and fps of the D500 might suit you better.

If you don't need the noise handling the D500 is a superb camera. If you mainly shoot sports, wildlife and 'domestic' animals running around the AF system and fps of the D500 might suit you better.

The D750 is truely an amazing camera and I never thought I would think about changing it.

But I think the benefits of the D500 would suit my type of shooting. I'm not saying the D750 can't be used in sports, but the D500 definitely has the edge for that type of photography.

I want to handle the camera first to see how it feels. It's slightly bigger I believe but still shares the same great grip of the D750. The price of QXD cards is not great though!

Going to see how much D750s go for and see how much I would need to fill the price gap.

The only thing is... I am not a burst shooter even in sports. When I take equestrian pics, I track and shoot. I have missed the odd shot without using burst.

Maybe the D500 would change that, 10fps would certainly elimnate the missed shots possibility!

The D750 is great all round and I don't really want to swap to a camera that some reviewers have down as just a 'sports camera'.

Ok... :LOL:

Less MP
Smaller sensor
Worse ISO capabilities

The only thing is... I am not a burst shooter even in sports.

:rolleyes:

You state FPS and crop factor as reasons for the change yet you're not a machine gunner and the pretty average performing 70-300 is only a maybe on your lens list.

IMO the real factor here is quality glass. That is what will make the difference. They work a hell of a lot better than mediocre middle of the road stuff.

The change will cost you a few quid also.

Ok... :LOL:

Less MP
Smaller sensor
Worse ISO capabilities

:rolleyes:

You state FPS and crop factor as reasons for the change yet you're not a machine gunner and the pretty average performing 70-300 is only a maybe on your lens list.

IMO the real factor here is quality glass. That is what will make the difference. They work a hell of a lot better than mediocre middle of the road stuff.

The change will cost you a few quid also.

Fair points and good arguements in favour of the D750.

Its really good gathering peoples opinions!

It really is a trade off of AF performance vs IQ. Is the AF performance that much better? I dunno, I've not used the D500 but people who have rave about it. Is there much IQ difference? Depends on viewing medium. However, lenses and technique will play a considerably larger factor. You could get the 70-200mm f2.8 on the D500 giving you 300mm effective reach which would give better results than the 70-300mm. Decisions decisions ;)

Heard back from Nikon, the delivery was never put through the system. It's now been arranged for tomorrow, and I have had confirmation from the courier.

It really is a trade off of AF performance vs IQ. Is the AF performance that much better? I dunno, I've not used the D500 but people who have rave about it. Is there much IQ difference? Depends on viewing medium. However, lenses and technique will play a considerably larger factor. You could get the 70-200mm f2.8 on the D500 giving you 300mm effective reach which would give better results than the 70-300mm. Decisions decisions ;)

Yeah it's the AF I want to know more about. Is it more accurate and faster or do the extra focus points not make a huge difference.

I know they fill the frame more, but I rarely shoot extreme ends.

Yeah it's the AF I want to know more about. Is it more accurate and faster or do the extra focus points not make a huge difference.

Hard to say without using them both. I can't see how it can be that much better, but you never know.

Hire a D500 for a weekend? Cost £100ish ?

I've never been left wanting with AF on the D750 so as @snerkler says, it can't be that much better (for me anyway)
The only time I had an issue was with dogs at flyball running straight towards the camera, hit rate did drop. But then I was at f2.8 and they were running very fast.

I dont think I have missed anything much - will put up some shots when home for some opinions!

I had a play with a friend's D500.
I prefer it to the D750 ergonomically, in the same way I prefer the D300 D700 bodies.
However, not a deal breaker, as I use both types of body, and you get used to each one.
As for the focus, as you don't use the outer focus points you won't gain a significant benefit from the wider spread of points on the D500.
I had a play with the D500 with a Nikon 70-200 VR2, and the focus was extremely quick. But it's quick on the D750 too.
I was messing around focus tracking my border collie running at full tilt, which is really fast.
The D500 with that lens didn't miss a shot.
The D750 didn't either !
As long as you use the correct focus mode, and your settings and technique are good, either camera will focus perfectly well for equestrian events IMHO.
Also, you say you don't "machine-gun" either.
If you did, the D500 would be a clear winner, not only in frame rate, but in buffer size too.(200 Raws for the D500 !)
The main difference would be the apparent "reach advantage" of the crop over full frame. It's a 1.5x field of view difference.
The full frame sensor will give you about a one stop advantage when it comes to noise at the same ISOs.
Also around threequarters of a stop better dynamic range with a full frame sensor.
Personally, I would go for better glass, and see if that works better for you.
Just my 2p worth !

Reactions: JJ!
Just before the D500/D5 came up, the D750 was considered perhaps with one of the top 3 AF systems after the D4s, Canon 7DMKII.

D750 never missed a beat for me other than user errors. I think its AF is phenomenal. People shot sports and wildlife with even old cameras with less stellar AF. There will be always new and better stuff, but how much better often will depend on my skills and need and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The weaker link here is me, :D

I had a play with a friend's D500.
I prefer it to the D750 ergonomically, in the same way I prefer the D300 D700 bodies.
However, not a deal breaker, as I use both types of body, and you get used to each one.
As for the focus, as you don't use the outer focus points you won't gain a significant benefit from the wider spread of points on the D500.
I had a play with the D500 with a Nikon 70-200 VR2, and the focus was extremely quick. But it's quick on the D750 too.
I was messing around focus tracking my border collie running at full tilt, which is really fast.
The D500 with that lens didn't miss a shot.
The D750 didn't either !
As long as you use the correct focus mode, and your settings and technique are good, either camera will focus perfectly well for equestrian events IMHO.
Also, you say you don't "machine-gun" either.
If you did, the D500 would be a clear winner, not only in frame rate, but in buffer size too.(200 Raws for the D500 !)
The main difference would be the apparent "reach advantage" of the crop over full frame. It's a 1.5x field of view difference.
The full frame sensor will give you about a one stop advantage when it comes to noise at the same ISOs.
Also around threequarters of a stop better dynamic range with a full frame sensor.
Personally, I would go for better glass, and see if that works better for you.
Just my 2p worth !

Just before the D500/D5 came up, the D750 was considered perhaps with one of the top 3 AF systems after the D4s, Canon 7DMKII.

D750 never missed a beat for me other than user errors. I think its AF is phenomenal. People shot sports and wildlife with even old cameras with less stellar AF. There will be always new and better stuff, but how much better often will depend on my skills and need and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The weaker link here is me, :D
It does miss now and again, sometimes by quite a margin :eek: ;)

AF-C single point (set to focus)
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%2014.30.51_zpstgemobaq.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-27%20at%2014.31.04_zpst26z8foq.png

Hee hee ! I think any camera will miss the occasional one.
Especially a collie at full pelt heading towards the camera !
All I was saying was that I didn't see any differences between the 2 cameras in my (very) limited time having a go with it.
I mainly shoot people, so Don't need fast focus , certainly not in this league anyway.
TBH, I would have thought that a horse, jumping over a fence is a lot slower than a dog running towards you.
Having said that, I have never shot horses, so I don't know if what I'm saying is total bull !

Back