Nikon D750 & D780

Or I might trade in my 20mm/f2.8 for the 20mm/f1.8. :D

There is a thread ongoing about dew and lenses so I thought I'd share my setup here with you guys if you have any dew misting troubles. :)

Okay here's the best simple cheap setup.

Kendrix dew heater - measure the circumference of you largest lens and buy one for that length as it just wraps around and velcos on for smaller lenses.
8 x AA battery back and some velcro. Less than £20 for everything.

I had it running in the week doing a 2 1/2 hour star trail in the Brecons (clouds rolled in after this time), damp cold and liable to dew. Not a bit on the lens and it would have been able to go on all night as they draw so little power. I haven't shown the cable release and also used an extra piece of velcro to tidy up the cable ( stop it flapping in the wind).

DSC_9720 by Martin Coomer, on Flickr

DSC_9722 by Martin Coomer, on Flickr

@MartinCornwall I've had problems with dew especially on my 14-24mm I looked at dew heaters but they all needed a controller, this set up look very good. can you let me know what I would need to buy and where from?

Last edited:
Two targeted question(s) but...
a) Anyone move to 750 from Fuji XT1 and how did you find the size change and general transition?
b) Anyone with a XT2 and 750... If you were changing to one system... which would it be? why?

About:
Enthusiast, mainly landscapes but like versatility, maybe some sports (mountain biking) in the future.
Managed to decrease my Fuji Lens collections, so no real ties.
Possibly looking to do some extended travelling next year and want a system to go with me...
Budget £2k ish.

a) Anyone move to 750 from Fuji XT1 and how did you find the size change and general transition?
b) Anyone with a XT2 and 750... If you were changing to one system... which would it be? why?

About:
Enthusiast, mainly landscapes but like versatility, maybe some sports (mountain biking) in the future.
Possibly looking to do some extended travelling next year and want a system to go with me...
Budget £2k ish.
Been a D750 owner for just under two years and just bought the XT1 GSE. The XT1 was never intended to replace the D750, wanted something lighter for travel and had the Fuji itch to scratch for a while. Initial impression haven't changed my mind, the handling of the D750 is much better imo. Fuji menu systems are 'awkward', probably on par with Olympus. Also, the control dials are not as nice or easy to use as the D750. Focus is nowhere near as fast, even in AF-S (this is lens dependent too though). I haven't taken any real images with the Fuji yet to compare IQ, but on handling alone if I was to ditch one it'd be the Fuji no question. That's not saying the Fuji's a bad camera, it's clearly very good. But for me it's not in the same league.

Hi

Sorry to post on here, but cannot find the thread I had seen before.

How do I get the Panamoz Warranty transferred into my name?

Thank you

Kev

Been a D750 owner for just under two years and just bought the XT1 GSE. The XT1 was never intended to replace the D750, wanted something lighter for travel and had the Fuji itch to scratch for a while. Initial impression haven't changed my mind, the handling of the D750 is much better imo. Fuji menu systems are 'awkward', probably on par with Olympus. Also, the control dials are not as nice or easy to use as the D750. Focus is nowhere near as fast, even in AF-S (this is lens dependent too though). I haven't taken any real images with the Fuji yet to compare IQ, but on handling alone if I was to ditch one it'd be the Fuji no question. That's not saying the Fuji's a bad camera, it's clearly very good. But for me it's not in the same league.

Some nice points thanks - I'm thinking that I won't mind the size difference. 90% of the times I head out it is to take pictures and I take my Kata bag (Rucksack)... Maybe a bit more weight but It's still going to fit in the same bag. I love my XT1 and really wouldn't mind keeping it, it's just not pocketable if I have something bigger. Also ready to move to FF - my itch I think.

I am curious how the XT2 shapes up against the D750...

@minnnt that first image is one of my most favourite images I've ever seen on this website. Bravo!

Well that's very kind of you to say so @WWA - I was on my way back when I heard the guys dogs running through the crop so I quickly turned round and walked a little closer. Purposely under exposed it to try and silhouette the man and dogs. Worked out pretty well in the end. :LOL:

About:
Budget £2k ish.

Hi Matt. I moved over from the X-T1 and it's the best thing I ever did. I use Lr and found that it didn't handle the files very well. The Nikon files are very workable and Lr handles them perfectly. I don't mind the extra size really but I just use a couple of primes nowadays.

Some nice points thanks - I'm thinking that I won't mind the size difference. 90% of the times I head out it is to take pictures and I take my Kata bag (Rucksack)... Maybe a bit more weight but It's still going to fit in the same bag. I love my XT1 and really wouldn't mind keeping it, it's just not pocketable if I have something bigger. Also ready to move to FF - my itch I think.

I am curious how the XT2 shapes up against the D750...
Still can't see it matching the D750 TBH. The D750 does everything superbly. Also the DR of the D750 is staggering, the flexibility you have in PP is incredible and you can salvage shots you thought were insalvageable.

The only thing I will say is that contrast detect AF systems have the potential to be more accurate and you don't get front/back focussing.

Well that's very kind of you to say so @WWA - I was on my way back when I heard the guys dogs running through the crop so I quickly turned round and walked a little closer. Purposely under exposed it to try and silhouette the man and dogs. Worked out pretty well in the end. :LOL:

Hi Matt. I moved over from the X-T1 and it's the best thing I ever did. I use Lr and found that it didn't handle the files very well. The Nikon files are very workable and Lr handles them perfectly. I don't mind the extra size really but I just use a couple of primes nowadays.

Still can't see it matching the D750 TBH. The D750 does everything superbly. Also the DR of the D750 is staggering, the flexibility you have in PP is incredible and you can salvage shots you thought were insalvageable.

The only thing I will say is that contrast detect AF systems have the potential to be more accurate and you don't get front/back focussing.

Always a fan of images that can be recovered. I think its title as a perfect allrounder is what is luring me over. I need to do some investigating into lens selection and costs but it looks like a nice contender.

Just got to hope the replacement "D760?" doesn't come out soon after I buy it and sink the resale value.

@MartinCornwall I've had problems with dew especially on my 14-24mm I looked at dew heaters but they all needed a controller, this set up look very good. can you let me know what I would need to buy and where from?

Hi Billy,

This is a great simple setup as the controllers are expensive. These straps draw low power so don't require the controller. The price has gone up a few quid since I bought one but here's the info to the Ebay item £20.79 for a 30cm strap. You will also need a 8 x AA battery holder ( A quid or so) and to make life easier I soldered a female RCA plug onto the ends of the holder wires to take the male from the dew heater. And a bit of velcro to hold it onto the tripod legs. Hope this helps :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W-W-Astro...597918?hash=item2cb275609e:g:n9gAAOxyVVJR9QUs

Hi Billy,

This is a great simple setup as the controllers are expensive. These straps draw low power so don't require the controller. The price has gone up a few quid since I bought one but here's the info to the Ebay item £20.79 for a 30cm strap. You will also need a 8 x AA battery holder ( A quid or so) and to make life easier I soldered a female RCA plug onto the ends of the holder wires to take the male from the dew heater. And a bit of velcro to hold it onto the tripod legs. Hope this helps :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W-W-Astro...597918?hash=item2cb275609e:g:n9gAAOxyVVJR9QUs
Thanks for that, I'll get it ordered and as I no soldering gear I'll take it to work and get the sparks to sort it for me.

Hi Billy,

Does the 30cm strap fit most wide angles ok? Any idea if it keeps slot in filters mist free too?

Does the 30cm strap fit most wide angles ok? Any idea if it keeps slot in filters mist free too?

It overlaps on my samyang 14mm and even if it doesn't fit all the way there is an elastic section with velcro on the end that gives quite a bit of adjustment. If you wrap it mid way between the front element and filter section then it might. It's all about keeping the temp above the dew point so it should work well. And for £20 ish its a simple setup that only takes a minute.

Really like those, especially the first. What lighting setup did you use?

Thanks matey (y) Lighting was natural, through patio doors, and bounced flash (SB800) off ceiling :)

Went to a hill climb today...Photographing moving cars is HARD! @minnnt - I enjoy your car pics, but now I really appreciate how much effort goes into getting them!

My panning was absolute horse manure, so here's the front of an orange Porch :p

Carrera by Chuckoir, on Flickr

I soon got bored of taking blurry photos of cars, so went home and shot The Boy instead.

Joseph by Chuckoir, on Flickr

Had a issue with tamron over a warranty on my 24 -70.

After 2 1/2 years it stopped focusing and sent it back.

They claimed it had severe impact damage. It was hardly used at that time on my old d7100. It was totally immaculate.
£800 paperweight not happy with tamron.

Had a issue with tamron over a warranty on my 24 -70.

After 2 1/2 years it stopped focusing and sent it back.

They claimed it had severe impact damage. It was hardly used at that time on my old d7100. It was totally immaculate.
£800 paperweight not happy with tamron.
Not good, did you ask them for proof that it had had impact damage?

Sorry me again, what is the best setting for colour space and d lighting.

I normally shoot RAW.

Thanks

I had a similar issue with Tamron's 150mm-600mm. It's needs the firmware update for AF and they said it is 'Out of Warranty...' I'm looking about for a Sigma now :)

They'd be happy to do it if I pay tho :(

Last edited:
Sorry me again, what is the best setting for colour space and d lighting.

I normally shoot RAW.

Thanks
Depends on which colour space you want to use. It's best to use the same throughout, standard is sRGB. As for D-lighting it only effect jpeg unless you use Nikon Capture NX to process your images. Lightroom and photoshop etc can't process/interpret d-lighting. If you use d-lighting and adobe PP the images you see on your camera will look different to they do on your computer as the camera shows the jpeg image embedded in the RAW file.

Depends on which colour space you want to use. It's best to use the same throughout, standard is sRGB. As for D-lighting it only effect jpeg unless you use Nikon Capture NX to process your images. Lightroom and photoshop etc can't process/interpret d-lighting. If you use d-lighting and adobe PP the images you see on your camera will look different to they do on your computer as the camera shows the jpeg image embedded in the RAW file.

Thank you, will stick to sRGB with d lighting to off for now as shoot RAW and LR5.

@minnnt

I love how you can see the mist behind the running dogs and the purpose in his stride. The sense of space and openness, the countryside with the unmistakable silhouette of the Land Rover Defender in the back ground, a typical country scene! Could be a painting

Last edited:

Yep,

Their i went beyond the uk, sent an email to japan got passed to germany.

I asked them to show me where the impact marks were, to move all their lens elements like they described in the repair that was alleged needed.

it was an on going thing for months god knows how many emails i sent them, but basically got no where.

Tranding standrads werent intrested, cab basically said your stuffed but in a polite manner.

Total joke.

If i see a tamron thread on here or someone asking about it on fb, regarding what their veiws are on tamron, my comments are always negitive as its left a botter taste in my mouth. and a lighter pocket for me

RGB - catch as much colour info as possible and downsize to sRGB for print and web. All that extra colour space, tonal graduation is worth capturing if you shoot RAW.

Interesting. I will have to try that. Thanks Kris.

@Chuckoir I've given up on motorsport for a while. Perhaps I'll have another go next year. A little harsh to shoot your kid though.

Thanks @G.K.Jnr. and @WWA very much appreciated.

RGB - catch as much colour info as possible and downsize to sRGB for print and web. All that extra colour space, tonal graduation is worth capturing if you shoot RAW.
Do you mean adobe RGB?

Yes. It's a wider colour gamut so unless you shoot jpeg you'd be crazy not to. In real life though can't say you can see a discernible difference but my monitor supports it as does LRs native pro photo RGB colour space.
I've not tried it tbh, but when I select adobe colours on my computer they do look different to sRGB. I know LR uses ProPhotoRGB which is the widest of the lot, but the actual colour tones of AdobeRGB look different from sRGB, at least from my experience. Therefore if I use adobe RGB and export as sRGB for uploading to the web it looks different. That being said it's a while since I tried so maybe it's different now?

I've not tried it tbh, but when I select adobe colours on my computer they do look different to sRGB. I know LR uses ProPhotoRGB which is the widest of the lot, but the actual colour tones of AdobeRGB look different from sRGB, at least from my experience. Therefore if I use adobe RGB and export as sRGB for uploading to the web it looks different. That being said it's a while since I tried so maybe it's different now?

Are you sure that's not posting RGB files on the web, as that does change drastically? There's a lot more green and blue tones in the RGB palette if you compare the swatches. Converting to sRGB doesn't generally change much at all at a glance.

You need an RGB calibrated monitor to be able to see the difference and for most of us you won't be able to make any real use of it. However, best to capture all that detail if you're shooting RAW.

AF on the XT2 is close but still think the D750 would shade it, I have been pretty surprised by just how well the Fuji will do in low light, the older Fuji's were awful!
Do miss the sheer scale of PP possibility with the D750 though!

So, anyone used the sigma 35 art and the Nikon 35 1.8g?

Which did you prefer?

Had both previously when I had the D750, probably preferred the Sigma from an IQ perspective its just super sharp but if you don't need f1.4 there isn't a lot between them. The Nikon was noticeably lighter/smaller and made a great travel lens.

Back