Nikon D750 & D780

Going to a wedding tomorrow (as a guest) and can't decide whether to take the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 I know the 24-70mm is a better lens but last time I went to a wedding I only had the 24-120 and found the extra reach very handy as you don't get the freedom to move around as a guest. Decisions decisions o_O :LOL:

If I were you, I'd take the 24-70 2.8. In a wedding environment, some subject isolation with the 2.8 glass can be more useful.

If I were you, I'd take the 24-70 2.8. In a wedding environment, some subject isolation with the 2.8 glass can be more useful.
But that's the thing, from the distances I'm likely to be at I'd get more isolation at 120mm f4 than 70mm f2.8, hence my 'dilemma' ;) If the isolation was the same then I'd just take the 24-70mm and crop.

Going to a wedding tomorrow (as a guest) and can't decide whether to take the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 I know the 24-70mm is a better lens but last time I went to a wedding I only had the 24-120 and found the extra reach very handy as you don't get the freedom to move around as a guest. Decisions decisions o_O [emoji38]
I am no expert and would say the 24-120. I was at a wedding at the week end and took my 28-105 and 70-210, used both for a bit as I did not want to come in the way of the paid pros.

What is the max iso you use at wedding on the d750?

Thanks

@snerkler use your 24-120 IMO. The photos you produced last time were excellent and the reach might be handy. We all know what the D750 can do ISO wise.

Going to a wedding tomorrow (as a guest) and can't decide whether to take the 24-120mm f4 or 24-70mm f2.8 I know the 24-70mm is a better lens but last time I went to a wedding I only had the 24-120 and found the extra reach very handy as you don't get the freedom to move around as a guest. Decisions decisions o_O :LOL:

If it was me I would just take a hip flask and leave the camera at home. Fu***ng hate weddings:grumpy:

I am no expert and would say the 24-120. I was at a wedding at the week end and took my 28-105 and 70-210, used both for a bit as I did not want to come in the way of the paid pros.

What is the max iso you use at wedding on the d750?

Thanks

Last time the venue was REALLY dark and without flash everything needed 12800 ISO (max I have set on my camera) and even then shutter was too slow. Opted for 1600 ISO and bounce flash. Outdoor was 100 ISO, but night outdoor night shots were again 12800 ISO.

Indoor ISO 1600 with bounced flash
[/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FdoGV2]DSC_1664
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Outdoor ISO 100

DSC_1776 B&W crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Outdoor ISO 12800

DSC_1962
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I don't have any indoor ISO 12800 that aren't private.

@snerkler use your 24-120 IMO. The photos you produced last time were excellent and the reach might be handy. We all know what the D750 can do ISO wise.
Way too kind, but thanks :)

If it was me I would just take a hip flask and leave the camera at home. Fu***ng hate weddings:grumpy:
Best idea yet :LOL:

Looking back at the last wedding more than 50% of the shots were at 85mm or over so think I'll take the 24-120mm As usual I've over thought it, it's not as though they're going to be the official shots :LOL:[/url]

Lovely pics - were all these taken with the 24-120?

If so I am really impressed by the lens (and the photographer of course :))

@snerkler

WOW, they are amazing. Any suggestion on how to get both people in focus when shooting at F4?

I have a lot of learning to do...

Thanks

After the last wedding I did swear never to do one again, but now I am going to Scotland to take pics of my Wifes best friends wedding.

I will be takking the 24-120 F4, 70-200 F4 and 35mm f1.4g which gives me more scope than I had when I last did one. Also got myself a nice compact Manfrotto tripod (hence the sale of my other one), which folds up quite nice and small and she wants me in a couple of the pics.

Its in January so will be bloody freezing, but a bit of snow will make for some nice shots.

Lovely pics - were all these taken with the 24-120?

If so I am really impressed by the lens (and the photographer of course :))
Thanks. In terms of IQ I can't tell much difference between the 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-120mm f4. The 24-70mm does render bokeh a touch nicer, and of course it's f2.8 so in the 24-70mm range it can have more subject isolation. But as I mentioned above, at 120mm f4 you're going to get more isolation than 70mm f2.8 so it all depends on your framing/how close you can get. It's AF where the 24-70mm excels, the difference in AF performance is night and day. The 24-120mm isn't particularly slow, it's just the 24-70mm is insanely fast. If I was a main tog then I woudl definitely choose the 24-70 out of these two as I'd use my feet to zoom, but as a guest I think I'll stick to the 24-120mm.
@snerkler

WOW, they are amazing. Any suggestion on how to get both people in focus when shooting at F4?

I have a lot of learning to do...

Thanks
Thanks, too kind. To be honest I'm not the right person to ask as I am not a wedding tog, nor a very good tog. However, it's all about making sure you've got enough depth of field so will depend on focal length and subject distance. If the people are in the same plane of focus then it doesn't matter, as long as one is in focus both will be. If they're staggered from the camera you will risk someone being soft/out of focus if you're close and or shooting with a long focal length. So if you're needing a wide aperture due to the lack of light you either need to move further away and/or decrease the focal length. However, tbh you can get away with it to an extent if someone is slightly soft. Firstly people who are not into photography simply don't see if someone/something is slightly soft. Whilst we might cringe, as long as they're close to being sharp others simply don't see it, all they see is the image rather than the technical merits. Secondly, if printed at 6 x 4" or 7 x 5" it's much harder to spot than viewing on a large monitor or when pixel peeping.
For example I cringe at this (which is why it's not on public viewing on flickr and I wouldn't ever print this ;)), but when I pointed it out to my wife and other guests they had no idea what I was talking about :LOL: In hind sight I've have upped the ISO and used f8 or f11, but I'm sure there are some situations where you're needing f2.8 or wider and faced with a similar dilemma yet at max ISO. I guess you just have to accept that some images will be slightly soft, maybe someone who shoots these kinds of scenarios regularly can shed some light (excuse the pun ;))

After the last wedding I did swear never to do one again, but now I am going to Scotland to take pics of my Wifes best friends wedding.

I will be takking the 24-120 F4, 70-200 F4 and 35mm f1.4g which gives me more scope than I had when I last did one. Also got myself a nice compact Manfrotto tripod (hence the sale of my other one), which folds up quite nice and small and she wants me in a couple of the pics.

Its in January so will be bloody freezing, but a bit of snow will make for some nice shots.

I don't envy you ;) I would like to be a 2nd shooter and take my 70-200mm, but I'd hate to be the main tog.

Last edited:
I don't envy you ;) I would like to be a 2nd shooter and take my 70-200mm, but I'd hate to be the main tog.

Not something I would choose to do too often TBH, I find it quite stressfull! But this one is slightly different and a bit more relaxed so to speak.

Last edited:

If i were you I'd be taking my smallest lightest lens like a 50, grab whatever you do and enjoy the ale [emoji6]

Ha. Seems to be a common theme this, do a wedding and swear never again but end up getting roped into another. I'm doing my cousins end of December which should be interesting.

Not sure how practical trying to include yourself into shots will be on the day, tend to fly by and keeping things simple is the best ploy.

As for DOF, it is something that you have to remind yourself about, especially if you're shooting quite tightly, wide open isn't always best. Practicing with a 50 is a good compromise to assist with learning that aspect, but it's very easy to forget. And then if the light is poor, there's a compromise one way or the other. I need to increase my camera usage closer to the wedding as practice is definitely important.

If i were you I'd be taking my smallest lightest lens like a 50, grab whatever you do and enjoy the ale [emoji6]

This, although against the grain on here I love taking wedding photos. The couple will be more interested in the emotion of the photo rather than it be 100% sharp. All this talk of f4 is making me feel rather ill though :puke:

Some nice shots there @snerkler and that mono conversion on number 2 is real nice.

Some toadstools and a couple of ducks at Martin Mere today..

Ha. Seems to be a common theme this, do a wedding and swear never again but end up getting roped into another. I'm doing my cousins end of December which should be interesting.

Not sure how practical trying to include yourself into shots will be on the day, tend to fly by and keeping things simple is the best ploy.

As for DOF, it is something that you have to remind yourself about, especially if you're shooting quite tightly, wide open isn't always best. Practicing with a 50 is a good compromise to assist with learning that aspect, but it's very easy to forget. And then if the light is poor, there's a compromise one way or the other. I need to increase my camera usage closer to the wedding as practice is definitely important.

It's only for a few shots in the evening, brides request so will fit it in!

That'd be the 18-35mm for me, after that the 24-120's the next lightest.

This, although against the grain on here I love taking wedding photos. The couple will be more interested in the emotion of the photo rather than it be 100% sharp. All this talk of f4 is making me feel rather ill though :puke:

Some nice shots there @snerkler and that mono conversion on number 2 is real nice.
Thanks.

I know f4, I should be banned.

That'd be the 18-35mm for me, after that the 24-120's the next lightest.

I do feel for the paid up pro with people like us running around with lots of kit. I shamelessly was once told to wait my turn by said wedding snapper. I genuinely was keeping well out of her way but somehow she took offence to me. Fair enough, I have no ego and couldn't careless about my own shots when the couple have paid someone. I think the last couple of weddings I went to I just took either the 35 or the 50 and did exactly what I advised before. There's a time and a place, enjoy the day with a beer and let the pro do their thing Any more than one lens as a guest is a bit overkill, and I've certainly witnessed that.

Problem I had at a mates wedding was that they preferred the few candids I took which can't be a good thing.

PS. Your shots above are excellent Toby.

Last edited:
I do feel for the paid up pro with people like us running around with lots of kit. I shamelessly was once told to wait my turn by said wedding snapper. I genuinely was keeping well out of her way but somehow she took offence to me. Fair enough, I have no ego and couldn't careless about my own shots when the couple have paid someone. I think the last couple of weddings I went to I just took either the 35 or the 50 and did exactly what I advised before. There's a time and a place, enjoy the day with a beer and let the pro do their thing Any more than one lens as a guest is a bit overkill, and I've certainly witnessed that.

Problem I had at a mates wedding was that they preferred the few candids I took which can't be a good thing.

PS. Your shots above are excellent Toby.
TBH I keep well out of the way, I'm very much a shrinking violet.

Thanks the the compliment.

The only time a four should be used is when it has a 1. in front of it :p
Lol, agreed. And I'm hoping my new camera will work with said lenses too :)

You not used the new one much then?
Not had much time of late tbh, think I've only wracked up 1000 shots or so. But I've not got an f1.4 lens at present to try on it. I have considered selling the 24-70 and buying either a siggy 50mm f1.4 art or another siggy 85mm f1.4 but I'm not sure. I just don't shoot enough portraits etc, very very rare tbh. I've also considered the 35mm as I'd love to do street stuff but when I'd get to do this god only knows.

If you have the 24-120 I'd sell the 24-70 and invest in some nice primes, all of the ART range are good, I love my 35mm.
Yep, have thought about it. The reason for the 24-70 purchase was AF performance for close up sports but I haven't been to any events suitable yet :facepalm:

Not had much time of late tbh, think I've only wracked up 1000 shots or so. But I've not got an f1.4 lens at present to try on it. I have considered selling the 24-70 and buying either a siggy 50mm f1.4 art or another siggy 85mm f1.4 but I'm not sure. I just don't shoot enough portraits etc, very very rare tbh. I've also considered the 35mm as I'd love to do street stuff but when I'd get to do this god only knows.

35mm is my go to lens. Last wedding I did the f1.8g was used for around 80% of shots.

But some people prefer the 50! I'm going to try get out with the 1.4g on Sunday.

35mm is my go to lens. Last wedding I did the f1.8g was used for around 80% of shots.

But some people prefer the 50! I'm going to try get out with the 1.4g on Sunday.

The 35 1.4G is my go-to lens too, I find the 50 a bit too tight for everyday. The 35 pretty much lives on one body. I reckon the December wedding I'm doing they will be my most used. Going to check out the venue today see what space I will have to work in. Have bought a couple of godox speed lights recently and a new brolly so pretty much ready. The 24-70 will be the evening lens I reckon.

Just having a play with the 28-75 Tamron on the D750.....

Dream_Onnnnn by SEP9001, on Flickr

Looking at the exif this was taken at f5.6 at 75mm, if I want to get the back wheels also in focus what should I have done? I did try f7.1 but that did not work.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thank you both, will give it another go.

Had a look at the venue earlier, could do with a fast 24...

Out the question really but it was dark and tight. Certainly given me a few headaches, especially if it's wet!

Back