Nikon D750 & D780

Yup, I got one of those too.

I slight difference in operation to Canon caught me out last week. With my old Canon bodies I sometimes used to set up manual and aperture settings differently and switch between the two. With the Nikon, it doesn't maintain different settings, just uses the same aperture and iso value. Understand the workaround to be setting up a U1 or U2 setting (couldn't remember how to do this at the time anyway) but this caught me out last week whilst setting up for action in aperture and static settings in manual.

Another quirky thing I have noticed, is white balance shift for no reason whatsoever. No problem to me as I shoot exclusively in RAW but it would annoy me if I was shooting jpeg. Literally the odd shot in a sequence has a different WB value?

One last point that I am keeping a close eye on is that I have had two separate occasions where the metering has packed up and I couldn't quite work out how I corrected it. First time it happened it was brand new and I put it down to user error but over xmas there was no logic at all to it: normal scene in matrix mode and the metered value left it under exposed by 3 stops, very odd. The meter wouldn't change either as I dialled in additional values, was very odd at the time.

All that said, I am very happy with the camera. Used 3D tracking again whilst skiing last week and it's a revelation compared to the old antiquated 5D2 I was using. Autofocus does just lock on.

How does it attach exactly as from the link it looks as though it is adhered to the screen......Picture of it fitted close up per chance ??

It's self adhesive and they usually fit to the screen surround, it's the case with GGS ones I have used in the past. For the GGS ones, to remove, I use a piece of cotton to get under the protector on one corner and use a sawing action to remove protector and clean any residue with IPA.

How does it attach exactly as from the link it looks as though it is adhered to the screen......Picture of it fitted close up per chance ??

It's pretty invisible once fitted - Unless you get the alignment wrong of course! - I fitted one from the same supplier to a D5300 last year but removed it a few weeks later as its slight thickness prevented the articulated screen latching when folded back against the body. It was pretty easy to remove with a fingernail once one corner was lifted.

Hi guys newbie here just joined as I'm starting to get serious about my photography. Ordered the d750 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and it arrived last night. I am gobsmacked at the performance over my old d7000, not sure if it's the camera or the lens though suspect it's a bit of both. ISO performance is astonishing and A/F even more so. VR is so much better than on my nikon 18-200 lens too.

I took the dog for a run up the park this afternoon and took 36 shots of him running straight at me and only 2 where out of focus, amazing. However I seem to have a problem as when I came home and tried to transfer pics into my adobe elements 11 it won't work with the raw files. I don't think an update will work so it leaves me having to update or repurchase elements 13.

So my question is this I was thinking of getting Lightroom 5 if I do will I be able to upload pics into this then use Elements 11 if I need to without upgrading or will I only be able to upload to LR5 and still not be able to use Elements11.

They might of improved in recent years but 3rd party grips used to be rubbish. Battery drain, shorting, tripod bush falling out. I wouldn't risk an expensive camera on a cheap grip ( even though I have insurance) Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and stick with Nikon.

They might of improved in recent years but 3rd party grips used to be rubbish. Battery drain, shorting, tripod bush falling out. I wouldn't risk an expensive camera on a cheap grip ( even though I have insurance) Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and stick with Nikon.

:agree:

Hi guys newbie here just joined as I'm starting to get serious about my photography. Ordered the d750 and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and it arrived last night. I am gobsmacked at the performance over my old d7000, not sure if it's the camera or the lens though suspect it's a bit of both. ISO performance is astonishing and A/F even more so. VR is so much better than on my nikon 18-200 lens too.

I took the dog for a run up the park this afternoon and took 36 shots of him running straight at me and only 2 where out of focus, amazing. However I seem to have a problem as when I came home and tried to transfer pics into my adobe elements 11 it won't work with the raw files. I don't think an update will work so it leaves me having to update or repurchase elements 13.

So my question is this I was thinking of getting Lightroom 5 if I do will I be able to upload pics into this then use Elements 11 if I need to without upgrading or will I only be able to upload to LR5 and still not be able to use Elements11.

Check before you buy because LR5 didn't support the 750 nef files as of Nov 2014...
Hopefully someone here may have the answer although you may need to ask it in another section.

You can download a free, fully functioning trial of LR5 from the adobe website, usable for a month. You'll soon see if it works ok or not ;) - I believe it will now recognise the D750 and you should be able to use Elements 11 as your external editor, but it will only export to elements in 8 bit (I think ...).

Thanks for your replies I hadn't thought of using the free trial so will probably try that. Sorry showing my inexperience here but what does "only in 8bit" mean?

According to a leaked press release from Nikon USA, Nikon will announce a new firmware updates program called “I AM Advancing” on January 19th, 2015. This “I AM Advancing” firmware update program will allow you download new firmwares for Nikon DSLRs for free for first three years. On January 19th, there will be firmware updates for 6 FX cameras (D750, D810, D800, D800E, D610, D600). The new website for “I AM Advancing” will be located at http://imaging.nikon.com/advancing (not yet active).

Below are new features for these firmware updates:

New White Balance update, containing Nikon’s latest algorithms for high-quality color balance in any light.

New “Metallic” Picture Control option, providing photographers with a unique high-contrast setting which is both natural and eye-catching.
New RAW Histogram. This feature displays impressive full-screen histograms for all 3 color channels (red, green and blue) simultaneously, based on data directly from the image sensor. The new feature allows advanced photographers to fine-tune perfect exposure for each shot.
Nikon will bring two D810 features to other cameras in the Nikon DSLR line-up:

“Flat” Picture Control, which allows photographers more options for adjustment in post-processing and
Electronic First-Curtain Shutter feature, which eliminates vibrations caused by the shutter, is newly available for the recently announced Nikon D750 camera.

Any recommendations for using or not using AF-A rather than AF-S or C?
Does it work, or will I be better off manually selecting S or C?

Never had this luxury/burden on the d700!

They need to make sure it doesn't or there will be more of a back lash. I know they had issues re aligning the af of the d800. Many got it back worse myself included. Even more glad I held of now. Will give it afew months to see what happens with this then might pick one up. Hopefully will see the outcome soon as I would love to get one for my trip to china at the end of march.

Thanks for your replies I hadn't thought of using the free trial so will probably try that. Sorry showing my inexperience here but what does "only in 8bit" mean?
Lightroom works in 16 bit mode on raw files (.nef's) which basically means it has more data (colours if you like) to manipulate and avoids introducing too many artefacts (problems like banding in shadows), when LR exports to Photoshop you can set it to export as 16 bit or 8 bit, I believe for elements you can only export as 8 bit

Lightroom works in 16 bit mode on raw files (.nef's) which basically means it has more data (colours if you like) to manipulate and avoids introducing too many artefacts (problems like banding in shadows), when LR exports to Photoshop you can set it to export as 16 bit or 8 bit, I believe for elements you can only export as 8 bit
Thanks for explaining Paul.

It has arrived, just getting used to the change in controls from the D800. Nice and compact body, may even give it a work out this weekend.

Just got an email from Nikon pointing me to https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63345

I registered my Panamoz D750 with them.

They cover the full cost of the service regardless of where it was bought. Postage too !

This is interesting to me, I know Panamoz cover all costs but will there be any costs if Nikon are repairing the D750??

Also ..... I haven't actually ordered one yet but will be come Monday 2nd of Feb, When do you think Nikon will start distributing the d750 with this fix already implemented or will all D750's have to go back??

It doesn't affect all bodies so you could buy one now without seeing it. Neither of mine do it.

Thanks, sorry I've read that much and assumed every one done it, It just depended how much you wanted it to happen.....

Even if I bought 1 on release day I probably wouldn't notice it due to the fact I don't shoot in the conditions people have had to use to make it do it....

How do I view the histogram ( not the rgb 1) ? On the d7000 I just pressed down on the photo playback, thanks.

How do I view the histogram ( not the rgb 1) ? On the d7000 I just pressed down on the photo playback, thanks.

In the playback menu, there's a 'playback display options' item - in there you can select what views you see when scrolling up and down in playback. Is that what you mean?

In the playback menu, there's a 'playback display options' item - in there you can select what views you see when scrolling up and down in playback. Is that what you mean?

Thanks peter, after having a little play all I can say is wow.

Anyone have the Nikon 70-200 f4 - how is the sharpness at the long end ? anyone in a position to compare it to the f2.8 version? not sure if this is the correct place for this but it is for the d750.

Last edited:
D750 Owners ...... Is there tethering software available for this camera??
I know Nikon do have software for some models but they don't for my current D5200 so I've been using a Free 3rd party program which does the job but I'd hope the Nikon software is far superior

Thanks

D750 Owners ...... Is there tethering software available for this camera??
I know Nikon do have software for some models but they don't for my current D5200 so I've been using a Free 3rd party program which does the job but I'd hope the Nikon software is far superior

Thanks

I've never tried the but I believe your can do via bus LR5 or CS6.

Back