Nikon D750 & D780

So taken my final shots with the D750 whilst up in Scotland. Will post my final farewell photos when I am home.

It's been 18 months of shooting and I it's been a superb bit of kit!

Anyone got an idea what a 24-85 would fetch in he classifieds?

Does it come box mint etc?? If you decide to sell I be interested one my fave lens

The new toy syndrome will soon wear off lol [emoji6]

Lol it's not new toy syndrome, and it's not been a snap decision, it's been months in the making!

Anyway, it's not like I'm jumping ship to another brand or chopping and changing the body every 5 min!

Nope, very much doubt it TBH.
I don't think you'll regret the swap TBH, but have fun sifting through all those same shots when you're shooting at 12fps :p

Joking aside I'd be interested in your thoughts on the D500 as I keep thinking about getting one when I sell my Fuji gear as a backup/wildlife camera, but more for the AF spread and reach in the viewfinder for wildlife. I don't honestly think it'd be a wise move for me as I'd miss the DOF that FF offers. Yes I know that with the increased focal length using crop DOF would actually be narrower but at YWP etc I'm not always at max focal length of my lens and so FF would give me shallower DOF. However, there's definitely an itch there ;) It's a shame bodies are so expensive to hire as I could scratch the itch that way otherwise ;)

We shall see, I'm not going to make any decision anytime soon as I've also been contemplating getting an 85mm and some studio lights with the money from the Fuji sale :D

I don't think you'll regret the swap TBH, but have fun sifting through all those same shots when you're shooting at 12fps :p

Joking aside I'd be interested in your thoughts on the D500 as I keep thinking about getting one when I sell my Fuji gear as a backup/wildlife camera, but more for the AF spread and reach in the viewfinder for wildlife. I don't honestly think it'd be a wise move for me as I'd miss the DOF that FF offers. Yes I know that with the increased focal length using crop DOF would actually be narrower but at YWP etc I'm not always at max focal length of my lens and so FF would give me shallower DOF. However, there's definitely an itch there ;) It's a shame bodies are so expensive to hire as I could scratch the itch that way otherwise ;)

We shall see, I'm not going to make any decision anytime soon as I've also been contemplating getting an 85mm and some studio lights with the money from the Fuji sale :D

It's something I need to do it will always be thinking what if! Apart from a tiny Fuji itch, this has been the only camera that's turned my head.

I agree the DOF is going to get used to, but the FPS, focus system and spread will suit me better.

If it doesn't, then at least I tried!

Will give my honest views after a few weeks use, and yes they will be 100% unbiased.

It's something I need to do it will always be thinking what if! Apart from a tiny Fuji itch, this has been the only camera that's turned my head.

I agree the DOF is going to get used to, but the FPS, focus system and spread will suit me better.

If it doesn't, then at least I tried!

Will give my honest views after a few weeks use, and yes they will be 100% unbiased.
At least we will see more than bird pics with it haha

Why would the DOF be narrower?

Why would the DOF be narrower?
Well obviously you know what affects DOF so to give an example take this shot

DSC_3335
by TDG-77, on Flickr

It's at 460mm. I can't change the subject distance and so on a crop body I'd have to shoot at 306mm to get the same framing.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 10.20.35.png Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 10.20.53.png

Then there's the angle of view, compression etc etc if you can move your feet and use equivalent focal lengths to get the same framing. However, as mentioned above, if I'm at max focal length of my Tammy (ie 600mm) and having to crop on my D750 to get closer then a crop body would give me shallower DOF due to shooting at 900mm effectively. It's swings and roundabouts ;)

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 10.29.13.png Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 10.29.00.png

Nice comparison tool that! My Nikon Journey was a mix of DX/FX from my first DSLR:

D40-D60-D7000-7200-D610-D750-D500

I had an Olympus E620 and Canon 600D at some point but always went back to Nikon.

It's at 460mm. I can't change the subject distance and so on a crop body I'd have to shoot at 306mm to get the same framing.

This would give you more DOF as you would be shooting with a shorter FL wouldn't it?

However, as mentioned above, if I'm at max focal length of my Tammy (ie 600mm) and having to crop on my D750 to get closer then a crop body would give me shallower DOF due to shooting at 900mm effectively.

You're not shooting at 900mm, you're still shooting at 600mm as that's all you have available to you. You only get a perceived 900mm fov.

Don't you? I dunno...

This would give you more DOF as you would be shooting with a shorter FL wouldn't it?

You're not shooting at 900mm, you're still shooting at 600mm as that's all you have available to you. You only get a perceived 900mm fov.

Don't you? I dunno...
PMSL :LOL: And there was me thinking you knew what you were doing ;) :p

In simple terms same subject distance, same aperture and same effective FL then FF will give shallower DOF. Same subject distance, same aperture same actual focal length then crop will have shallower DOF due to the extra effective FL. It's not quite as simple as that, but in a nutshell that's how it'd be :D Note that perspective is only affected by subject distance though.

Last edited:
You can tell mine not fluke as they all s*** [emoji23]

Last edited:
PMSL :LOL: And there was me thinking you knew what you were doing ;) :p

In simple terms same subject distance, same aperture and same effective FL then FF will give shallower DOF. Same subject distance, same aperture same actual focal length then crop will have shallower DOF due to the extra effective FL. It's not quite as simple as that, but in a nutshell that's how it'd be :D Note that perspective is only affected by subject distance though.

I guess I never really looked in to DOF in that much detail #amatuer lol

I guess I never really looked in to DOF in that much detail #amatuer lol
It doesn't make you a better tog as I clearly demonstrate ;) I just have a thirst for knowledge and find the technical side fascinating :oops: :$

I'm not sure you can compare DoF using the same focal length lens on a crop and full frame, the 'field of view isn't the same'. It's true the DoF would be different using the same focal length but the framing would be completely different giving a completely different image on a crop compared to full frame. If you increased the focal length on full frame to give a comparable framed image the DoF would be shallower on full frame.

If you compared the same framing full frame gives a shallower DoF. The two images below are the same framing taken with 200mm f5.6 on crop and 300mm f5.6 on full frame.

DSC_9172 by -Rob - Nikon-

D71_8462 by -Rob - Nikon-

I keep meaning to repeat this using different apertures but getting a squirrel to stay still long enough is difficult ;) (sorry they are not D750 images, I tried this a few years ago)

The good thing about crops is the feeling of the extra length and potentially 'longer feeling' of the lenses. It means you don't need to cart about big heavy long lenses compared to full frame to get the same framing.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on stats figures and what not get the camera and take photos. Trial and error is fantastic as well try everything see what works for you.

Are you rookies is disguise :LOL:

I know you can crop an FX to see what DX sees, but in my previous experience of DX, it's not quite as simple as that... but maybe that was just me not understanding!

Last edited:
Back