Nikon D750 & D780

Still plenty of life in it thou?

If you think 200k on a shutter is low then I think you need to think again. That's pretty much 50k over what Nikon thinks it will do. Add 250-300 for a new shutter and your 400 quid is expensive compared to a 550-600 quid 20-30k camera.

If you think 200k on a shutter is low then I think you need to think again. That's pretty much 50k over what Nikon thinks it will do. Add 250-300 for a new shutter and your 400 quid is expensive compared to a 550-600 quid 20-30k camera.
s*** I read it wrong LOL thanks for pointing it out

Price's didn't go up much in reality, I looked at the price of a D500 on Panamoz before and after, increase was just £20, a price hike yes but I think it wasn't too bad. I still can't see why they did hike up the price of their stuff as imo it was already at a premium price.

Price's didn't go up much in reality, I looked at the price of a D500 on Panamoz before and after, increase was just £20, a price hike yes but I think it wasn't too bad. I still can't see why they did hike up the price of their stuff as imo it was already at a premium price.

The d750 went up by 250 quid since i bought last. That's a massive increase.

Declining sales across photography equipment means worldwide price hikes.

Last edited:

I think the D500's release price probably has the price increase included.

I paid £1,309 a few months back for my 750, now its £1255, :confused: I`ve been robbed.......o_O

I paid £1,309 a few months back for my 750, now its £1255, :confused: I`ve been robbed.......o_O
Grey prices will fluctuate based on exchange rate. Think how I feel, I bought mine at UK launch prices :eek: I did get £150 trade in bonus (or was it £250?) though so I guess not much different to the current UK prices.

I paid 1000 quid ish when it was a new model. That should make you feel even better. So Nikon and everyone elses prices have gone up loads.

Last edited:
I paid 1000 quid ish when it was a new model. That should make you feel even better. So Nikon and everyone elses prices have gone up loads.
:(

£1178 I paid in October 2014 from Panamoz, so an early (ish) adapter, they are currently £1255, so not a huge amount of difference at present, they went up to around £1400 after Brexit IIRC. As for UK, the lowest price has been £1090 from Calumet in March 2016. according to CPB > http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Digital-SLRs/Nikon-D750-Camera-Body and upto around the £1700 mark close to release, again, if I have read CPB right............ Some big shifts there for UK prices.

Last edited:
£1178 I paid in October 2014 from Panamoz, so an early (ish) adapter, they are currently £1255, so not a huge amount of difference at present, they went up to around £1400 after Brexit IIRC. As for UK, the lowest price has been £1090 from Calumet in March 2016. according to CPB > http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Digital-SLRs/Nikon-D750-Camera-Body and upto around the £1700 mark close to release, again, if I have read CPB right............ Some big shifts there for UK prices.

Still an 80 quid increase for you, that's over 2 years ago. Things get cheaper, not more expensive as a refresh approaches. But as said the difference compared to what I paid is huge.

Last edited:
Was that the amazon mistake or grey?

Its about time that I sold on my Nikon 10-24 as whilst it can be used on the D750 its a DX lens. I was thinking about the Tamron 15-30 as it seems to get good reviews but has anyone got any real world experience of it paired with the D750?
or is there something better for around similar money?
Couple of shots from my early morning walk with my dog a few days ago.
Archie autumn16_edited-2.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

archie autumn161_edited-2.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

archie autumn162_edited-1.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

First two are fab, Andy (y)

As for the 15-30. I had one for a few days, and the zoom jammed. Apparently there's a screw buried in the internals, that undoes, and jams it. Some Tamron geeks stripped one down to find it (on U-tube somewhere).

Its about time that I sold on my Nikon 10-24 as whilst it can be used on the D750 its a DX lens. I was thinking about the Tamron 15-30 as it seems to get good reviews but has anyone got any real world experience of it paired with the D750?
Couple of shots from my early morning walk with my dog a few days ago.
Archie autumn16_edited-2.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

archie autumn161_edited-2.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

archie autumn162_edited-1.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr
First two are great (y)

First two are fab, Andy (y)

As for the 15-30. I had one for a few days, and the zoom jammed. Apparently there's a screw buried in the internals, that undoes, and jams it. Some Tamron geeks stripped one down to find it (on U-tube somewhere).
Thanks Paul, that's a bit of a worry with Tamron as many say their QC is a bit hit and miss, having said that my 70-200 has been fautless and until Nikon did the recall was spot on focus with out any MA and is my most used and favourite lens. Already having second thoughts as it's quite a heavy lens and one of the things I need a UWA for is car rig photography where weight is important. The other use would be for some landscape shots and occasional architecture so don't think I need a really wide aperture. I'm wondering if there is a fixed lens of around 15-16mm that would suit my needs.

Thanks Paul, that's a bit of a worry with Tamron as many say their QC is a bit hit and miss, having said that my 70-200 has been fautless and until Nikon did the recall was spot on focus with out any MA and is my most used and favourite lens. Already having second thoughts as it's quite a heavy lens and one of the things I need a UWA for is car rig photography where weight is important. The other use would be for some landscape shots and occasional architecture so don't think I need a really wide aperture. I'm wondering if there is a fixed lens of around 15-16mm that would suit my needs.

I also tried one before Christmas and it's a lovely lens, but as Paul mentioned there's some issues with them. The one I bought was brand new and the zoom just felt gritty when in use, so I returned.

Recently, due to some health issues I have tried the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8, Sigma 24-35mm f2, Nikon 18-35mm G, Nikon 20mm 1.8G and Tokina 16-28mm f2.8, if you can manage without the VR of the Tamron, IME I found the Tokina the best for the money. The first Sigma was poor wide open but razor sharp from f4, the replacement was excellent wide open, but I then had a heart attack and decided to return, as I decide what direction I go with my gear as I have other disabilities. I found the both Nikon's very poor on my D810, really soft compared to the others until f5.6/8. I know others swear by the Nikon's but they weren't for me.

Also, Nikon do a 16mm which is a fisheye I believe, you also have the option of the Samyang 14mm which is MF though.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...roduct=12888&gclid=clfmyezqqtecfcmw0wodtmghea

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-14mm-wide-angle-Lens/dp/B004SH6OSI

ETA: Lovely photos of the dog.

Last edited:
There is a new lens, it's the IRIX and fixed 15mm, no VR, I have one, seems nice but I am really amateur at photography lol, they probably go for about £350 now.
Edit, build quality is very nice and it's possible to fine focus the lens itself without using the cameras own fine tune.

Last edited:
I also tried one before Christmas and it's a lovely lens, but as Paul mentioned there's some issues with them. The one I bought was brand new and the zoom just felt gritty when in use, so I returned.

Recently, due to some health issues I have tried the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8, Sigma 24-35mm f2, Nikon 18-35mm G, Nikon 20mm 1.8G and Tokina 16-28mm f2.8, if you can manage without the VR of the Tamron, IME I found the Tokina the best for the money. The first Sigma was poor wide open but razor sharp from f4, the replacement was excellent wide open, but I then had a heart attack and decided to return, as I decide what direction I go with my gear as I have other disabilities. I found the both Nikon's very poor on my D810, really soft compared to the others until f5.6/8. I know others swear by the Nikon's but they weren't for me.

Also, Nikon do a 16mm which is a fisheye I believe, you also have the option of the Samyang 14mm which is MF though.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...roduct=12888&gclid=clfmyezqqtecfcmw0wodtmghea

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-14mm-wide-angle-Lens/dp/B004SH6OSI

ETA: Lovely photos of the dog.
Thanks Simon, I need to do some more research and will include those that you mention.

There is a new lens, it's the IRIX and fixed 15mm, no VR, I have one, seems nice but I am really amateur at photography lol, they probably go for about £350 now.
Edit, build quality is very nice and it's possible to fine focus the lens itself without using the cameras own fine tune.
Thanks Graham I've not come across the IRIX so will check it out as well.

Found a spot for short eared owls, going to try and get some shots,

But not sure the best settings for the auto focus. Any helpful tips

Interesting this talk of wide angle zooms today when I've used my 14-24 for the first time in ages - and remembered why I hate the bloody thing! I actually needed the 14mm because there was so little space in places, although I'm sure I'd have managed at 20mm. The annoyance is that 24mm at the long end still feels really wide to me so I end up shooting everything wider than I'd like to. That's why I usually use the 18-35, more versatile for me. But I needed the f2.8 today.

I don't suppose anyone has used the Nikon 20-35 or 17-35 on a D&50? Or got either they might consider trading for a little used 14-24! :LOL:

Single point AF-C would be my choice. I occasionally use group for BIF.

Have a look for Kevin Robinson, hes always taking shots of them, saw some on the thumb nails last week.

I've got both the the Tamron 15-30 and the 750 and my version at least is absolutely fantastic. Its incredibly sharp across the frame and probably the best lens ive had wide open after a 300 2.8.

If you haven't seen the lens first hand i would recommend having a look , its huge for what it is.

I love the lens so much ive bought a 150mm filter kit, NDs and CPL to accompany it... oh and a new bag to bring it all along. Highly recommended from me

Interesting this talk of wide angle zooms today when I've used my 14-24 for the first time in ages - and remembered why I hate the bloody thing! I actually needed the 14mm because there was so little space in places, although I'm sure I'd have managed at 20mm. The annoyance is that 24mm at the long end still feels really wide to me so I end up shooting everything wider than I'd like to. That's why I usually use the 18-35, more versatile for me. But I needed the f2.8 today.

I don't suppose anyone has used the Nikon 20-35 or 17-35 on a D&50? Or got either they might consider trading for a little used 14-24! :LOL:

The 15-30 is huge but its a great lens and in a lot of reviews has been rated as better than the much vaunted Nikon 14-24. Doesn't have a filter thread though so it needs its own filters (Lee SW-150 System).

The 15-30 is huge but its a great lens and in a lot of reviews has been rated as better than the much vaunted Nikon 14-24. Doesn't have a filter thread though so it needs its own filters (Lee SW-150 System).
Thanks Chris, but the 14-24 is big enough and I'm looking to get the 35mm end really. It's not for landscape, more documentary style stuff. My ideal lens would be 20-50/2.8 - which I could do almost everything with. I think I'll might end up with the 20mm/f1.8 for anything wider than 24mm.

Thanks Chris, but the 14-24 is big enough and I'm looking to get the 35mm end really. It's not for landscape, more documentary style stuff. My ideal lens would be 20-50/2.8 - which I could do almost everything with. I think I'll might end up with the 20mm/f1.8 for anything wider than 24mm.

Ed, sorry just realised I replied to the wrong post!

Back