Nikon D750 & D780

Few from YWP yesterday. I can't begin to tell you how bad the light was yesterday, and how murky it was. I've had to really push the PP on these to get them anything like half decent, but I'm still not happy. Normally I shoot wildlife at 1/1000 minimum but yesterday I was having to drop to 1/200 or so at times just to keep ISO from maxing out which of course meant some blurred images :(

DSC_4959
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4870
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4868
by TDG-77, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RfPgXJ]DSC_4747[/url] by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4705
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4608
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4550 copy
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Very nice set Toby.

Last one is my favourite. Very powerful

I'm hoping the restrictions don't last too long and bird flu disappears soon as it's going to cause issues to these centres.

The current restrictions on bird movements and housing are in place until the end of February.

The current restrictions on bird movements and housing are in place until the end of February.
That's not so bad as it's probably a time of the year where visitor numbers are low, if they were extended beyond that I can see it starting to be a problem for centres, especially ones that run as a side line to a rescue centre. It would be shame to see any go under due to the restrictions. they had foot baths everywhere and all birds were inside so at least they were doing all they can.

That's not so bad as it's probably a time of the year where visitor numbers are low, if they were extended beyond that I can see it starting to be a problem for centres, especially ones that run as a side line to a rescue centre. It would be shame to see any go under due to the restrictions. they had foot baths everywhere and all birds were inside so at least they were doing all they can.
I think avian flu is usually a winter hazard. So fingers crossed.

Up and out early this morning and it was bloody freezing, but nice coloured glow through the fog as the sun tried to get through. Took the 24-120 this morning as didn't think there would be much to shoot seeing how foggy it was and didn't feel like lumping the 70-200 around. Couple of my dog, any cc welcome cos thats how I learn.
Andy...
Archie frosty morning 2.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Archie frosty morning.jpg by Andy Foakes, on Flickr

Cracking shots in difficult lighting, like the second best, but agree on the vignette.

Few from YWP yesterday. I can't begin to tell you how bad the light was yesterday, and how murky it was. I've had to really push the PP on these to get them anything like half decent, but I'm still not happy. Normally I shoot wildlife at 1/1000 minimum but yesterday I was having to drop to 1/200 or so at times just to keep ISO from maxing out which of course meant some blurred images :(

DSC_4959
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4870
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4868
by TDG-77, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RfPgXJ]DSC_4747[/url] by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4705
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4608
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_4550 copy
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Two three and 6 for me. but, its anice set, they are just my favourites.

One of the competition subjects for my camera club for next season is Infrastructure so while out for a quick walk on Saturday morning as the sun burnt through the mist shortly after sunrise i took a few shots of these
Any comments?

Misty Sunrise
by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Infrastructure
Nice, never thought I'd like a photo of an electricity pylon ;) 2nd is my favourite of the two.

One of the competition subjects for my camera club for next season is Infrastructure so while out for a quick walk on Saturday morning as the sun burnt through the mist shortly after sunrise i took a few shots of these
Any comments?

Misty Sunrise

I have a strange fascination for exactly this type of picture. Nicely done!

That's thrown a spanner in the works I thought everyone was all on the sigma train when it came to 35mm

They are for the most part and their 35 seems like the best lens they've made. I had so many QC issues before the Art range came out that I swore never again. I was out of pocket with one lens in a big way.

I prefer the build of the top line Nikons; resale value is better (if you like to change); they are weather resistant and pretty bombproof IMO. Sure the siggy gets a very good score on sharpness but the Nikon is no slouch and I love the rendering. It is my most used lens, can't ever see me change.

If you get a good copy then happy days, there still appears to be AF inconsistencies reported from many siggy users.

They are for the most part and their 35 seems like the best lens they've made. I had so many QC issues before the Art range came out that I swore never again. I was out of pocket with one lens in a big way.

I prefer the build of the top line Nikons; resale value is better (if you like to change); they are weather resistant and pretty bombproof IMO. Sure the siggy gets a very good score on sharpness but the Nikon is no slouch and I love the rendering. It is my most used lens, can't ever see me change.

If you get a good copy then happy days, there still appears to be AF inconsistencies reported from many siggy users.
Cheers for the input. Bit like me with tamron then and my 24-70 after they stiffed me over good and proper.

Yes I have the dock for sigma but after using my nikon 70-200 vr1 most the weekend I realise how good most of the nikon range are.

Did some comparisons of pictures taken last night and the nikon does seem warmer colours. Where as the sigma seems a lot less colourless in the background colours.

Thought this was going to be easier haha

Pulled out the D750 for the first time in ages at home and got to love the high ISO! I knew there was a reason I haven't packed it in yet...

12,800 indoor cleaned up nicely in Snapseed for some quick edits. Not found anything smaller though that can compete for a D750/35 setup for personal bits.

Pulled out the D750 for the first time in ages at home and got to love the high ISO! I knew there was a reason I haven't packed it in yet...

12,800 indoor cleaned up nicely in Snapseed for some quick edits. Not found anything smaller though that can compete for a D750/35 setup for personal bits.
Which 35mm do you have then?

Cheers for the input. Bit like me with tamron then and my 24-70 after they stiffed me over good and proper.

Yes I have the dock for sigma but after using my nikon 70-200 vr1 most the weekend I realise how good most of the nikon range are.

Did some comparisons of pictures taken last night and the nikon does seem warmer colours. Where as the sigma seems a lot less colourless in the background colours.

Thought this was going to be easier haha

I know some have had issues with Tamron but I've had a few over the years and no problems at all, have the 70-200 at the moment. Most people rave about the 35, I've personally been bitten too many times. I'm contemplating a 24 and theirs is good value.

I know some have had issues with Tamron but I've had a few over the years and no problems at all, have the 70-200 at the moment. Most people rave about the 35, I've personally been bitten too many times. I'm contemplating a 24 and theirs is good value.
It's was their customer service and warranty handling that turned me over. But hey ho.

Yeah I'll have to do a bit more research I guess

Any comments?

Misty Sunrise

Infrastructure

#2 is far the best shot here. The orientation is perfect and the contrast is more subdued.

Me too! It's a fab lens but now I have the 24-85 I may sell it.

Mark, don't discount the Nikon 1.8, it performs incredibly well and the colours are beaut.

I got the the 35mm f1.8 DX, lovely lens, but now want an FX version or preferably the 50mm FX. The 24-85 will have to wait until the funds build up again.

Last edited:
I have the 35mm art @kingo15 and love it.

That said I would (if I ever become rich enough) change it to a Nikon 35mm (I think) but it'd be after if done a few other lens changes.

When I changed over to Nikon I wanted to buy the best 35/85 combo with longevity in mind. Those were the two lenses that I wouldn't change. If you have a good copy of the siggy, and you're happy with it, then no point changing.

I used to swap kit around quite a bit in my younger days but learnt that if I just buy what I wanted initially, it stops me doing that and in the longer term saves money. I tend to consider top end lenses as an investment. Still looking at that 58..

When I changed over to Nikon I wanted to buy the best 35/85 combo with longevity in mind. Those were the two lenses that I wouldn't change. If you have a good copy of the siggy, and you're happy with it, then no point changing.

I used to swap kit around quite a bit in my younger days but learnt that if I just buy what I wanted initially, it stops me doing that and in the longer term saves money. I tend to consider top end lenses as an investment. Still looking at that 58..
Oh I agree. But having just forked out on the D750 the Nikon 35 was out of my price range. My sigma is really sharp, so no problems there.

I still want the 35 1.4g and 85mm 1.4g though ;)

Thanks for the replies the 35mm 1.4 fx is now out the question as I was looking at the wrong lens haha.

Decision is now sigma and and nikon 1.8.
I have the dock already not sure if that is a deciding factor.

Time for pixel peepers I think to try and help a little [emoji106]

28 / 58 seems a good combo :)

It would have been ideal for the wedding at Christmas in such a tight venue. I'll stick with the 35/85 but try add the 24/58 in the next couple of years.

I want something really wide now. And something longer. Hurry up dayjob bonus!

Back