Nikon D750 & D780

Thought I'd give this "buy-an-"old"-lens" malarky a go - just picked up a mint Nikon 28-80 3.3-5.6g (with a three month warranty I might add!) on the Bay for 68 quid - should do the trick for now. ;)

You needed to walk a few steps closer, but still awesome!

Give over I need a longer Lens or a TC ha ha

But thank your for you compliments

While running the risk of sounding like an idiot - @kingo15 / @rookies , have either of you rotated your image at all? It just looks like the moon is on a completely different axis, and I wouldn't have thought it'd look that different from two different places both within the UK? Assuming you're both in the UK.

Genuine question - doesn't matter if you have (or haven't) - just curious. :)

Last edited:
While running the risk of sounding like an idiot - @kingo15 / @rookies , have either of you rotated your image at all? It just looks like the moon is on a completely different axis, and I wouldn't have thought it'd look that different from two different places both within the UK? Assuming you're both in the UK.

Genuine question. :)

Nope I have not rotated mine at all only cropped as it was taken at 200...

Genuine question - doesn't matter if you have (or haven't) - just curious. :)

haha nope i wouldnt how to. i just had them side by side and see what you mean

Nope I have not rotated mine at all only cropped as it was taken at 200...

haha nope i wouldnt how to. i just had them side by side and see what you mean

Didn't think you had - just surprised (if that's the right word) that they'd look so different!

Nice shots either way! (y)

I'm sure Toby will be along in a minute with a Stephen Hawking-esque explanation... ;)

EDIT - just seen that they were taken about 1.5 hours apart - I guess that would explain it as Andrew's would be further along its journey across the sky?

Last edited:
Is my link showing as its showing broken on my laptop, got that silly pic with a cross through it

Didn't think you had - just surprised (if that's the right word) that they'd look so different!

Nice shots either way! (y)

I'm sure Toby will be along in a minute with a Stephen Hawking-esque explanation... ;)

EDIT - just seen that they were taken about 1.5 hours apart - I guess that would explain it as Andrew's would be further along its journey across the sky?
Weeeelllll, the moon does 'wobble' during its lunar cycle so can look different, but as these are taken on the same night (according to the EXIF) I would guess someone didn't have their camera straight ;)

Edit, just seen your edit, would time of shot make that much difference?

Last edited:
Weeeelllll, the moon does 'wobble' during its lunar cycle so can look different, but as these are taken on the same night (according to the EXIF) I would guess someone didn't have their camera straight ;)

Mine was spot on level ;)

I have a feeling the time could make a difference.

Having just watched some time lapse videos you will not see the moon change orientation during one night, you will only see the wobble (libration) over several days.

Hmmm... the plot thickens ;)

Beats talking about screen protectors or some other such nonsense.

Don't forget the moon spins on it's axis like the earth [emoji16]
Doesn't work like that, we only see one side of the moon ;) It does spin but at the same speed as it rotates around the earth we don't see it spin from the earth. It's called synchronous rotation.

Last edited:
Lol well mine was level if I wasn't tucked in bed I would go and take another to see. But makes sense though.

Go on Toby you go and take a image see if we get 3 different versions [emoji23]

You needed to walk a few steps closer, but still awesome!
Geez, he's closer than most of us, have you seen how tall he is. [emoji14]

Ive just said my tripod wasnt level no need for the Spanish inquisition :D
Bet you weren't expecting that! ;)

Spanish_Inquisition_Monty_Python-300x224.jpg

Filters - who uses them? Not talking UV, I'm talking the ND Grad stuff.

If you do - which brand? There seems to be lots, with prices varying quite a lot. I'm assuming the cheapo £15 kits from Amazon are s*** and you get what you pay for?

I promised myself I'd "do" more landscapes this year, and figured buying filters would give me cause to get out there more! :D

Any suggestions? Cokin okay?

I've done so much reading on this you wouldn't believe!
First of all none of the filters are perfect from any manufacturer, some will give minimal colourcast some will be awful or you might think give you an effect you like (stacking some Cokin filters gives a strong magenta cast for instance). Some are more durable than others and there are massive price differences. Glass will give better quality and likely be more durable than resin, but as a starter resin filters will likely do the job.

Everyone says Lee are the best but that doesn't mean there are no other options. For me I couldn't justify their cost (or Formatt Hitech for that matter) not knowing if I would get full use from them, especially after I've only recently bought my d750 and new lens.

First I would say consider what size filters you need for the lens your use them with. I considered 100mm filters but in the end figured I didn't currently need them. Cokin P series seemed the way to go, but I didn't care for the colour cast.

In the end I went to SRB Photograhic. I got an 82mm adapter, elite filter holder with CPL and ND1000 screw-in filters (to prevent light leakage) plus a full ND 0.9 and an ND GRAD 0.9 square filter for approx £115 total. They seem to get decent reviews and for me the price point seemed a good one for what I was getting. I'd like to get a 6 stop ND too but need to work out what isn't going to cause light leakage before I pull the trigger. SRB glass p size filters are ~£30 and the resin ones ~£15

No results to show yet unfortunately. All my days off since I got them have been boring grey flat skies and miserable!

HTH

Is my link showing as its showing broken on my laptop, got that silly pic with a cross through it
I believe that if you get that X in the box then you should just tap F5 to refresh the page and voila, all should be good.

Back