Nikon D750 & D780

Talking of portrait lenses that new Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art is HUGE. It looks big in pictures but in the flesh it looks even bigger :eek:

It's huge! I thought the 20mm was big, but that thing is on another size level.

So this Nikon 58mm lens... reviews seem very mixed. 50mm is my favourite so this 58mm lens looks interesting.

It seems to be a lens you love or just don't understand, reviews say it has character and an image quality that is unique and individual.

The price however is on the higher end of the scale, and being just a casual shooter it's probably not a lens i should be looking at, but knowing a 2nd hand one is coming up for sale it is of course making want to look at it in greater detail.

So what are people's thoughts? My 50 is my general walk around, i could use it all day. Is the 58 for portraits or can it replace the 50?

Interested to hear people's opinions.
I think you should do the lottery as you always seem to be in the right place for a second hand lens bargain [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

I think you should do the lottery as you always seem to be in the right place for a second hand lens bargain [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

I never said it was a bargain!

And the last lenses i have been selling on behalf of someone else so I really don't have any luck TBH!!

First edit from shots taken at the Pixapro stand following Gavin Hoey's talk

DSC_8331-Edit[/URL] by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I took my 70-200mm TBH, but that's because I wanted to take some pics of the comicon folk and I don't have another 'portrait' lens. If I had an 85mm, or even 50mm I'd have just taken that.

Can get better/easier subject isolation with the 70-200mm and knew the backgrounds were going to be cluttered and wanted as much blur as possible ;) I think it's a better lens than the 24-70mm for portraits.

Also, I was expecting many more photo opportunities/try outs but you live and learn :oops: :$

:p

So this Nikon 58mm lens... reviews seem very mixed. 50mm is my favourite so this 58mm lens looks interesting.

It seems to be a lens you love or just don't understand, reviews say it has character and an image quality that is unique and individual.

The price however is on the higher end of the scale, and being just a casual shooter it's probably not a lens i should be looking at, but knowing a 2nd hand one is coming up for sale it is of course making want to look at it in greater detail.

So what are people's thoughts? My 50 is my general walk around, i could use it all day. Is the 58 for portraits or can it replace the 50?

I'm sure the 8mm difference isn't that noticeable so it could replace the 50. It does seem to have a character about it. I believe @KitsuneAndy has one.

I love mine, my 50mm sat unused in my bag for a year. My 58mm is my second most used lens. Just love the character it has, the smoothness of the transition between in-focus and oof, the incredibly smooth Bokeh. Sharpness drops off towards the corners, but there's more to a photograph than how sharp it is.

Mine needed calibration though to shoot with it wide open and not worry too much about missing shots.

But then, the bokeh is so smooth, sometimes you miss focus completely and just don't care...

Georgia-5 by Andy Dane, on Flickr

She'd have been all over me if I'd have shown up with a beard and a Df. Lab coats tend to put them right off.
Yeah, I guess she could have a Leprechaun fetish ;)

I got the go ahead to get the Tammy 150-600 G2 but...... where to buy that is the question, I can get one for 869 GBP with a 1 year warranty or go through a French seller and it will be a genuine (not grey) lens and i`ll get a 5 year warranty but i`ll pay more.
Help me guys please.

Oh the GAS is killing me :banghead:

Without having to look back loads of pages, can anyone recommend 3rd party battery makes. I bought a pair of DTSE whilst good at first they are only taking about 500 shots per charge after only a couple of months. @minnnt I remember you posting a recommendation but can't remember the make.

I got the go ahead to get the Tammy 150-600 G2 but...... where to buy that is the question, I can get one for 869 GBP with a 1 year warranty or go through a French seller and it will be a genuine (not grey) lens and i`ll get a 5 year warranty but i`ll pay more.
Help me guys please.

The 5 year guarantee is good but Tamron have been known to blame certain defaults on user damage such as drops etc even though they never have been.

Tough call. Have you scouted for a used a Nikon 200-500 in your area?

There's a great thread on the FM forum. Seems to be a bit hot and miss n how sharp a copy you will get but the images are fantastic from it.
As said i think its a lens more for looks than utter sharpness,so if u pixel peep for sharpness might not be for you.

Its on my dream list anyway.

The 5 year guarantee is good but Tamron have been known to blame certain defaults on user damage such as drops etc even though they never have been.

Tough call. Have you scouted for a used a Nikon 200-500 in your area?
Nope, not thought about a 200-500, I guess its a better lens overall?
But 869 GBP :banghead: its what I feel like atm lol

She'd have been all over me if I'd have shown up with a beard and a Df. Lab coats tend to put them right off.
Soon grown your beard haven't you last week you had it shaven

Got to say I was very impressed with the Tenba tripods, preferred them to manfrotto. Vanguard were nice too.

Also, Ive been creating a photo book using the saal software and got to see their actual photo books today. Top quality prints and 'paper' so will be pulling the trigger on one shortly, just need to swap a few photos around and add some text.

That Kodak 360 degree video camera thing is cool, I'm just not into video though.
Is it this

http://www.saal-digital.co.uk/photo-booklets/

Help me guys please.

Isn't Tamron warranty 5 years anyway? Mine was, but not sure if that was a special offer.

Which book as I am wanting to do a couple too of our daughter first year

Which book as I am wanting to do a couple too of our daughter first year
The photo books, not the photo booklets. They come in all shapes and sizes.

There's a great thread on the FM forum. Seems to be a bit hot and miss n how sharp a copy you will get but the images are fantastic from it.
As said i think its a lens more for looks than utter sharpness,so if u pixel peep for sharpness might not be for you.

Its on my dream list anyway.

It's a lot lighter than i thought it would be, especially when compared to the 35 f1.4g.

The sharpness debate is interesting. Some reviews have it as one of Nikon's sharpest and others so not so sharp!

Back