Nikon D750 & D780

How much under exposed?

For a wedding though,shoot however you're comfortable.

I've settled on my settings because it suits my processing style and it suits how I shoot. I don't really have to think about it, I know which scenes the camera is likely to need the exposure compensation adjusted. Just because I'm used to shooting that way.

Sad to report my D750 has just died on me. Got a flashing ERR on the top panel. Have tried cleaning all the contacts on the camera and my 3 lenses in the bag and no joy. Sigh.
No warning either.

Took the camera out of the bag to shoot my nephews 1st birthday party and nada. Good job I had my little compact in the bag for some back up.

Now to find out whether the warranty of HDEW cameras stands up.

Sad to report my D750 has just died on me. Got a flashing ERR on the top panel. Have tried cleaning all the contacts on the camera and my 3 lenses in the bag and no joy. Sigh.
No warning either.

Took the camera out of the bag to shoot my nephews 1st birthday party and nada. Good job I had my little compact in the bag for some back up.

Have you tried the shutter release I get this error sometimes after night photography turning the camera off when the shutter is still open. Next ERR pressing the shutter release resets the shutter and the error goes away. Just some info if you haven't already tried this.

No warning either.

Also try a full reset. Have a google, can't remember how you do it.

Also try a full reset. Have a google, can't remember how you do it.
Press and hold the two green dot marked buttons ... its the same on all Nikons (well not the D3x00 cause that doesn't have the dots) though the actual buttons change they are marked with green dots.

Went for a walk last night and SWMBO didn't want me dragging out some pics so only managed to quickly rattle off a few grab shots in what was glorious light. Here's a quick one that I have edited a little differently..

PS. Can I really let go of the 85 1.4G?!

34871055812_8890249037_b.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a walk last night and SWMBO didn't want me dragging out some pics so only managed to quickly rattle off a few grab shots in what was glorious light. Here's a quick one that I have edited a little differently..

PS. Can I really let go of the 85 1.4G?!

35033704075_a3e7ef0df4_b.jpg
Really nice pic. WB looks ever so slightly off to me though, bit magenta looking at the hair and skin.

Really nice pic. WB looks ever so slightly off to me though, bit magenta looking at the hair and skin.

I agree on second glance. Tweaked above.

I had to faff around with her skin tone and added some background tone too. Must have got a little lost. Like they always say, step away and revisit with fresh eyes before finalising.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful photo of your little girl, Kris!

Thank you. To be truthful, the light was awesome but it was late and my better half just wanted to get around quickly and back. I dumped her in a spot of lovely light, took a dozen pics and that was that. Wish I had have had some time and a willing assistant!

Really nice @Livin The Dream.

For skin tones I tend to zoom in so the face fills the hole screen, I can then get a better judgement of whether it's there or not.

It was a little late last night and didn't take another look tbh. Was messing around with various techniques so got lost with colour toning. Hey ho.

Last edited:
Thank you. To be truthful, the light was awesome but it was late and my better half just wanted to get around quickly and back. I dumped her in a spot of lovely light, took a dozen pics and that was that. Wish I had have had some time and a willing assistant!

It was a little late last night and didn't take another look tbh. Was messing around with various techniques so got lost with colour toning. Hey ho.

Still a lovely shot, I must get the 85 1.4 at one point!

Sounds like a hell of a setup, I'd have to have something wider than 35 though. But not that 28mm at £2100! That's madness.

I'm going to crack the 24mm at some point, it's not a FL I'm that comfortable with. Won't use much so I'll prob add the 1.8 version when I can, but could be a while.

Nikon 20 1.8/ Sigma Art 35mm/ Nikon 85mm 1.8. Also got a 50 1.8 but only use it when out with the family really.

Nice little set up. How is the 20 1.8? That's definitely a bit too wide for me.

If I really want to cash in to fund the new stuff I do have the 24-70 but so useful for my studio stuff.

Love the 20mm, it is quite wide but I love using it when I get the chance!

Im ok with that providing I'm not too close and the subject is fairly central. Distortion can be a bugger to tame. For tight areas or getting in real close I can see the need but for my general stuff I do I don't find those situation very often.

Last edited:
i bought the holy grail
17-35 24-70 70-200 all nikon 2.8
covers all requirements and a lot more versatile than a prime
need to be a pixel peeper to notice any difference in image quality
i believe the news lens's are like the newer camera bodys and calso cars there is a new gimmick somewhere that someone must have
this is just my opinion
by the way on the d750 the above lens's are fan dab dozy what a camera
they also work just as well on my d500

It's new init [emoji3]
But even after a while it'll still be around £1800 :eek:

I just struggle to understand why certain primes are so expensive. I'm sure it cones down to the manufacturing process and the work involved, I'm just not sure what.

I'm kicking myself really, should have had JJ's 58, at least that was calibrated. New versions are still out of budget so a secondhand one is going to be a lottery.

Back