Nikon D750 & D780

Are you shooting two 750's at weddings Tim?

I keep saying I could do with doing a few paid jobs each year to pay for gear.

The Tog at the weekend had 2 x D750's and thought of this thread as she was missing an eyecup on one of them!

Had a quick read on FM, it's fuelling the 105 GAS! Wow!

I don't think I could warrant an 85 and 104 1.4, they're too close in FL. The ideal for me would be 35/58/105 I reckon. I'd probably get the 24/85 1.8's to plug those gaps but no necessity to begin with. Might look at chopping in the 85 & 70-200 to fund a 105. Get a used 58 somewhere too.

Yeah I'm eyeing up the 105.

But I'm tempted to upgrade my 35mm F1.8 to the F1.4 first, since it's the focal length I use most.

I was having a bit of a crisis in confidence recently, but I'm really happy with how this Saturday's wedding turned out. Looking forward to getting the slideshow done

I have an 85, I generally only use it during speeches I've found.

But yeah, generally 35/58 or 28/58

I know you love the 58, but being subjective, do you ever think it's sharpness is lacking, or is it absolutely fine? It's an itch I definitely have, maybe there's also some sample variation too.

I know you love the 58, but being subjective, do you ever think it's sharpness is lacking, or is it absolutely fine? It's an itch I definitely have, maybe there's also some sample variation too.

I borrowed a Sigma Art 50mm for a while, and it's incredibly sharp, corner to corner. Beautiful pin sharp results.

Hated it, it was very clinical and my images lacked something with it IMO.

The 58 isn't always the sharpest, and before I calibrated it properly it missed focus all the time. But, it's pin sharp in the centre when you get the focus spot on and the images seem to have a lovely almost 3d effect. But mainly, I just gelled with the focal length to be honest, I found it much easier to get the frames I wanted with the extra 8mm. Which is probably my failing as a photographer rather than a success of the lens, but, I love it because I get the images I want from it, with the incredible bokeh.

Would I recommend it to someone else? Dunno, it suits my style, depends whether it will suit yours or not.

Everyone must have those moments. That pic above of the mirror reflection is awesome Andy, love that kind of thing.

Thanks Kris :)

I just got the safe shots, then looked to see if there was anything else I could use. Didn't set anything up or move anything, just had a bit of play. I love the shot, could be better, as the angle of reflection isn't the most flattering of the bride, but it'll be going in the gallery for definite.

I borrowed a Sigma Art 50mm for a while, and it's incredibly sharp, corner to corner. Beautiful pin sharp results.

Hated it, it was very clinical and my images lacked something with it IMO.

The 58 isn't always the sharpest, and before I calibrated it properly it missed focus all the time. But, it's pin sharp in the centre when you get the focus spot on and the images seem to have a lovely almost 3d effect. But mainly, I just gelled with the focal length to be honest, I found it much easier to get the frames I wanted with the extra 8mm. Which is probably my failing as a photographer rather than a success of the lens, but, I love it because I get the images I want from it, with the incredible bokeh.

Would I recommend it to someone else? Dunno, it suits my style, depends whether it will suit yours or not.

I think the siggy would be a little too clinical from what I've read, for me. I don't really appreciate how the bokeh renders from viewing web images and so I'd like to see some large examples really. I need a better 50, the 1.8 just doesn't wow me at all and so it's the logical step. The 35 & 50 are my most used too so should invest there over everything else.

I think the siggy would be a little too clinical from what I've read, for me. I don't really appreciate how the bokeh renders from viewing web images and so I'd like to see some large examples really. I need a better 50, the 1.8 just doesn't wow me at all and so it's the logical step. The 35 & 50 are my most used too so should invest there over everything else.

I'd say come and have a play with my 58, but you're miles away, so that's no help!

Thanks Kris :)

I just got the safe shots, then looked to see if there was anything else I could use. Didn't set anything up or move anything, just had a bit of play. I love the shot, could be better, as the angle of reflection isn't the most flattering of the bride, but it'll be going in the gallery for definite.

Definitely a photographers picture.

I'd say come and have a play with my 58, but you're miles away, so that's no help!

Thanks for the kind offer.

Nope, just one. Only used one body at last wedding. But have a spare body in the bag.

My spare is a 610 which I just don't use, but need something for when I do the occasional paid job. Assume your spare is another 750? I'm tempted to move the 610 to free up the cash to get an 58 but I do have a christening September time so will need a spare for that. I think the way forward is to do a few jobs and earn a little to pay for the gear. The little lady has scuppered dads bottomless camera hobby kit, have to be sensible now!

My spare is a 610 which I just don't use, but need something for when I do the occasional paid job. Assume your spare is another 750? I'm tempted to move the 610 to free up the cash to get an 58 but I do have a christening September time so will need a spare for that. I think the way forward is to do a few jobs and earn a little to pay for the gear. The little lady has scuppered dads bottomless camera hobby kit, have to be sensible now!

Nope it's a D7000. I do need a decent backup. Let me know if you decide to move on the D610, saw them on a grey importers on eBay for £752 and I should have bought one!

Nope it's a D7000. I do need a decent backup. Let me know if you decide to move on the D610, saw them on a grey importers on eBay for £752 and I should have bought one!

That's a cracking price. I think for what it will free up it's probably not worth getting rid and I should have a back up if I do pick the odd job up.

I've missed reading lens reviews...not!

Definitely moving forward I think I'd like to go the 58/105 route. Sure the siggy 135 is sharper and lightning fast AF, but there does seem to be some issues with AF consistency. I want to upgrade my 50 anyway, so it's logical. This would mean that the 85 would need to go to fund such plans along with the 70-200. Interesting looking at the 58 thread on FM, there's so many extremely unsharp shots on there that it doesn't do it much justice, but equally there's a few that when nailed, look awesome. I don't tend to shoot totally open and so suspect a small amount of stopping down would sharpen the images nicely. The 105 is still exceptionally sharp, if not over-priced. Better start working out how to fund such crazy ideas.

I do have to laugh when debate starts discussing one lens is warmer than the other. In this digital age when you process your own, WTF?!

I've missed reading lens reviews...not!

Definitely moving forward I think I'd like to go the 58/105 route. Sure the siggy 135 is sharper and lightning fast AF, but there does seem to be some issues with AF consistency. I want to upgrade my 50 anyway, so it's logical. This would mean that the 85 would need to go to fund such plans along with the 70-200. Interesting looking at the 58 thread on FM, there's so many extremely unsharp shots on there that it doesn't do it much justice, but equally there's a few that when nailed, look awesome. I don't tend to shoot totally open and so suspect a small amount of stopping down would sharpen the images nicely. The 105 is still exceptionally sharp, if not over-priced. Better start working out how to fund such crazy ideas.

I do have to laugh when debate starts discussing one lens is warmer than the other. In this digital age when you process your own, WTF?!

The 58mm is an odd one and some reviews have it as super sharp, some soft. I guess there is quality variation.

It certainly doesn't feel like a £1300 lens, but then reviews moan when lenses are too heavy and this one is light, so can't have it all!!

The 58mm is an odd one and some reviews have it as super sharp, some soft. I guess there is quality variation.

It certainly doesn't feel like a £1300 lens, but then reviews moan when lenses are too heavy and this one is light, so can't have it all!!

Read some that love the 58 & 200/2 combination which are certainly the bokeh animals of the Nikon range. The 200 is the sharpest portrait lens ever and so to draw any comparison is interesting, certainly adds to the argument that there's something special about them. It will be finding a good one that could be the problem. New UK versions are silly money, so gambling with the secondhand market could prove costly. How much did you pay for the one you had to be calibrated and how much better did it come back?

It was a friend's so can find out how much it was purchased for. Was a different lens when it came back TBH!

Its now on its travels around the world with an international wedding photographer!

Haven't had time to look at the siggy thread yet but seems siggy is slightly sharper but Nikon wins on bokeh and rendition. Which are you going for?
sadly won't be getting either anytime soon. I just shoot for myself and don't have the disposable money at the moment.

I'm sort of drawn more to the nikon as I've got the sigma 35 but although its sharp I've never fallen for it. Though that might be the focal length.
There really seems to be little difference between the two though and the faster AF of the sigma attracts me.

The 58 is another I've been dying to get for a while, so maybe the 58 and 135 would be better as I wouldn't want to shift my 85.
Ive thought about shifting my 70-200 for ages but always think I will regret it so still haven't, even though its been use a handful of times in about 3 years at most.(got to be the worst investment I've made.

sadly won't be getting either anytime soon. I just shoot for myself and don't have the disposable money at the moment.

I'm sort of drawn more to the nikon as I've got the sigma 35 but although its sharp I've never fallen for it. Though that might be the focal length.
There really seems to be little difference between the two though and the faster AF of the sigma attracts me.

The 58 is another I've been dying to get for a while, so maybe the 58 and 135 would be better as I wouldn't want to shift my 85.
Ive thought about shifting my 70-200 for ages but always think I will regret it so still haven't, even though its been use a handful of times in about 3 years at most.(got to be the worst investment I've made.

I'm not too dissimilar Peter. I have grandeurs of shooting for a little bit of pocket money to fund my hobby whilst pushing myself a bit more, but haven't really done anything except a few jobs this last two years. I have to be careful as my day job is quite time consuming and so couldn't take on too much anyway. I'm going to stay the Nikon route. I really do rate my 85 but if I'm honest with myself,I tend to shoot 35/50 95% of the time. The 85 is a bit too close so it would have to go to help fund, though I'd probably pick up a 1.8 version later on for what they cost secondhand. I have an idea of where I want to take my photography and the 105 would give me the kind of shot that would top a good lifestyle shoot.

I have a 24-70 and 70-200 which are my least used lenses. The 24-70 is worth keeping as it gives me 24mm, is my go-to in the studio for flexibility with kids and is a great back up. I have had numerous 70-200's over the years and they are just a bit too cumbersome for the way I shoot. There's no getting away from a good prime. The best mix would either be 35/85/135 or 35/58/105, I'll go the latter as I have wanted to upgrade my 50 for a while. I'll probably sell the 85 & 70-200 to fund the 105. Have to save for the 58 and work out how best to get a decent copy.

PS. Some great stuff on your Flickr!

Last edited:
Lovely shots in that slideshow and really like how you changed photos with the beat of the music.

Cheers Graham,

All done using Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, which is totally free :)

You can just listen to the music and tap "m" and it adds a marker, then drop the images onto the markers

Nice work Andy, do you get to upload your own music with that software or is it pre-selected songs which enable you to do the photos to music?

Use your own music, it's basically Adobe Premiere without a licence fee.

For music, I have a SoundStripe subscription. Currently sorting out a discount from them to give to people who sign up through my referral link as well.

So, loved editing this wedding so much that the slideshow is already done:

https://www.andydanephotography.co.uk/bex-neil-slideshow/
Lovely slide show, some great images there.

What mode do you tend to shoot in for the general wedding day?

Aperture priority and float the ISO?

Or manual, set a min shutter speed, auto iso and just alter the aperture?

Hope you don't mind me asking, i'm going to a wedding in a few months and they are on a very limited budget, so only have the photographer for an hour or two. Hoping i can get some good shots and compose a little something as a surprise for after their wedding.

Lovely slide show, some great images there.

What mode do you tend to shoot in for the general wedding day?

Aperture priority and float the ISO?

Or manual, set a min shutter speed, auto iso and just alter the aperture?

Hope you don't mind me asking, i'm going to a wedding in a few months and they are on a very limited budget, so only have the photographer for an hour or two. Hoping i can get some good shots and compose a little something as a surprise for after their wedding.
Aperture priority, auto ISO, min shutter speed 1/250 and use exposure compensation to adjust for taste.

I shoot under exposed to preserve highlights

Back