Nikon D750 & D780

Sad day today for me. I sold my D750 and 24-120mm last night due to lack of use. I'm already regretting it[emoji22]

I think everyone hits a block at some point, was that the case? I could do with a project or two to do something different.

Sad day today for me. I sold my D750 and 24-120mm last night due to lack of use. I'm already regretting it[emoji22]

Ouch..

I know the feeling well..

Now you're just around the corner, you're welcome for a try before you buy. Should help push it through for you.

That's really grand of you, thanks. I may well just take you up on that offer over a coffee at some point. (n)

I know I want one, I seem to like marmite stuff, remember I bought a Df after all :D I just have buyers remorse before I actually buy, it's a family thing. Happens with most large ticket buys. :D

That's really grand of you, thanks. I may well just take you up on that offer over a coffee at some point. (n)

I know I want one, I seem to like marmite stuff, remember I bought a Df after all :D I just have buyers remorse before I actually buy, it's a family thing. Happens with most large ticket buys. :D

You soon get over the remorse [emoji15]

Too many cameras and too little time. The D750 was the best of the bunch but was also the least used. Now it's gone, it's the one I want to pick up.
What did you keep?

Nikon D7000 (very underated in my opinion) Fujifilm X-T1 and a teeny RX100 plus of course my range of Nikon lenses and a few Fuji.
Interesting you decided to kelp two APS-C's rather than one of each (i.e. APS-C and FF).

Interesting you decided to kelp two APS-C's rather than one of each (i.e. APS-C and FF).
Yeah. Just wasn't using the D750 enough to justify the cost. I tend to go off track quite a lot and to places where not many people go. I was always consious of the fact that with the D750 I could have well in excess of £2000 hanging around my neck and was nervous of coming accross dodgy youths ect. so I tended to opt one of my other cameras.

Plus the fact that I've lost interest a little in photography. I think I need to go back to basics and find some projects etc. I tend to go to the same places and photograph too many similar things lol.
We all get like that.

Yeah. Just wasn't using the D750 enough to justify the cost. I tend to go off track quite a lot and to places where not many people go. I was always consious of the fact that with the D750 I could have well in excess of £2000 hanging around my neck and was nervous of coming accross dodgy youths ect. so I tended to opt one of my other cameras.
To be fair to most folk that would do that they wouldn't tell one DSLR from another, but whatever makes you feel safer (y)

Plus the fact that I've lost interest a little in photography. I think I need to go back to basics and find some projects etc. I tend to go to the same places and photograph too many similar things lol.

Don't blame you, i have been bouncing between very keen and extremely frustrated with photography for the last 8 years.

I'm enjoying buying gear and trying it more than actually seriously using it, which is wrong on all accounts.
I've got far more GAS than ability (or more money than sense lol).

Same here, i have 5 dslr`s and a mirrorless.

Not very good with them, i was on another forum and getting really shown up by people with smartphones :crying:

Same here, i have 5 dslr`s and a mirrorless.

And, once upon a time, we had one SLR, five different film emulsions and a pocket camera!

Less can certainly be more. Everyone gets stuck in a rut. Have been looking for inspiration this week for other things. Might start a thread later on that but there's every genre going here and would prefer to keep it a little more refined for my interest which is portraiture.

Holiday isn't far away now and taking one body and prime is a good way of getting back to basics.

I follow one very good photographer who does nothing but sit a model in front of a window. Don't get me wrong, his images are great, but there's zero variety. Surely he must get a little bored going through the motions most days?

Last edited:
I've recently moved onto shooting with a D750 after having used a Canon 750D for the last year and I'm noticing my images are quite considerably less sharp than I was achieving with the Canon 750D and the 18-55 kit lens.

It can't be a focus issue as I've tried everything. I shoot on manual focus and use live view to zoom and ensure its as sharp as possible and also tend to shoot at fairly narrow apertures. I've even tried using autofocus to see if that makes a difference but no such luck. I have tested the body on a 24-120 f4, a 16-35 f4 and a Samyang 14mm f2.8, using a rock solid tripod and shutter release cable.

The low light performance and dynamic range are massively impressive but I'd be lying if I was to say I'm not slightly disappointed with the sharpness vs the much cheaper crop sensor Cannon body and lens. I understand it's fairly difficult for folk to judge with no sample images but would this suggest I have a bit of a dud on my hands? Or is it just that my expectations were too high and I shouldn't expect it to be as sharp or sharper than the Canon?

I've recently moved onto shooting with a D750 after having used a Canon 750D for the last year and I'm noticing my images are quite considerably less sharp than I was achieving with the Canon 750D and the 18-55 kit lens.

It can't be a focus issue as I've tried everything. I shoot on manual focus and use live view to zoom and ensure its as sharp as possible and also tend to shoot at fairly narrow apertures. I've even tried using autofocus to see if that makes a difference but no such luck. I have tested the body on a 24-120 f4, a 16-35 f4 and a Samyang 14mm f2.8, using a rock solid tripod and shutter release cable.

The low light performance and dynamic range are massively impressive but I'd be lying if I was to say I'm not slightly disappointed with the sharpness vs the much cheaper crop sensor Cannon body and lens. I understand it's fairly difficult for folk to judge with no sample images but would this suggest I have a bit of a dud on my hands? Or is it just that my expectations were too high and I shouldn't expect it to be as sharp or sharper than the Canon?

Without samples it's impossible to tell. Put 2 raw shots from each side by side.

That does not make sense. Are you using jpeg fine or raw. Do you post process them with clarity / sharpness tools or anything etc ?

Less can certainly be more. Everyone gets stuck in a rut. Have been looking for inspiration this week for other things. Might start a thread later on that but there's every genre going here and would prefer to keep it a little more refined for my interest which is portraiture.

Holiday isn't far away now and taking one body and prime is a good way of getting back to basics.

I follow one very good photographer who does nothing but sit a model in front of a window. Don't get me wrong, his images are great, but there's zero variety. Surely he must get a little bored going through the motions most days?
I'm like that with S**ual partners ;)

you found the secret that the Canon is a better camera for you ;)

I'll maybe join a photography club or see if i can find a partner to go out with to new places etc. Hoping to maybe take early retirement next year so with more time on my hands I'm hoping I get my moto back. Love photography but just finding it a bit samey at the moment.

As you're in Doncaster, if you ever fancied a trip out somewhere in the Peak District then give us a shout. I'm kinda feeling the same as you atm so I'm having a few weeks off before a little break in Norfolk which will hopefully get the itch itching again with a few seascapes.

As you're in Doncaster, if you ever fancied a trip out somewhere in the Peak District then give us a shout. I'm kinda feeling the same as you atm so I'm having a few weeks off before a little break in Norfolk which will hopefully get the itch itching again with a few seascapes.

Nikon d820 rumoured end july... could be a motivator :sneaky:

Back