Nikon D750 & D780

Here's another grad photo from last month. These two arrived as part of a large group on a trailer. (Think float in a parade and you have the idea.)

On the red carpet by Paul, on Flickr

The school has a tradition of having all the graduates and their dates drive up to the school is some sort of contrivance and rolling out a red carpet for them to walk into the school and past crowds of parents, siblings and well wishers. Everyone and their dog is out there for photos. Another part of the tradition is that the school's head custodian dresses up in a tux and greets them all as they arrive at the red carpet. He's probably the most (unintentionally) photographed person at the school.

Last edited:
Haven't checked this thread that much recently but lots of good pictures guys and girls - dropped you a like.

I had my first outdoor portrait shoot the other day with the camera club. Learnt lots and still finding myself really shy when it comes to directing the model. I think this is just with the amount of people that are waiting to take pictures/ me not wanting to look an idiot when i don't really know how to pose them... but something i need to work on. Not a massive fan of posed shots, i'd prefer just natural ones which the shoot tended to be.. I'm sure i'd be fine if i had the model to myself.

Will put some pictures up later, the good and not so good. Still getting used to the DOF with full frame too, need to wack that aperture up more than i think.

I have a really nice shot, but the hair on the model is really frizzy on the edges (someone had her doing some messy hair look). Struggling to smooth this out in post and.. something i need to take notice off in the future i guess.

Funny thing is i probably got better pictures of her little boy which she brought o_O

Treated my self to a red snapper 284 tripod and head as i really want to do some astro photography and need one for my landscapes. Hopefully put up some attempts soon.

Holiday season here and in full swing, geez they dont make it easy here and and all that tax I have to pay the local council, goes up in smoke :rolleyes:
Not perfect but as I was over a kilometre away not too bad me thinks., I gotta get out this weekend and grab some more, I used the BIG beast, Tamrom 150-600 for these and used a slow shutter speed for effect.

Fireworks 11 by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks 2 by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks 8 by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks 13
by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks by Graham, on Flickr

Last edited:
@Graham Nice images.

How do you focus for something like this? Manual and focus to infinity?
Most of my images are in "M" mode, for this I manually focused on the brightest part of a firework and it looked ok, I guess infinity. I only took 30 shots and I have a block of flats in the way, well lots of them really but you cant see them, I had to do some cropping and healing to get a TV ariel out of shot.

Last edited:
Still getting used to the DOF with full frame too, need to wack that aperture up more than i think.

I know we all rave about shooting wide open but it's not that often I shoot totally open. You definitely need to get a feel for apertures/FL and distance to subject. Sounds a lot to take in but certainly get used to each FL at a time and you'll suss how much DOF you'll roughly get. It was a mistake I made for a good while to begin with, trying to shoot open all the time.

They're not cock specific but are available in a range of sizes.

_7502429.jpg

Haha! Sounds fun. Choose your camera body wisely ;)

I bought 2nd hand in the end. Good price :)
Saw one go up on FB yesterday but ernt within the hour. Hopefully more will pop up.

Really thinking about shifting the 70-200 as i never use it, was looking at the siggy 135 but the reviews regarding AF are not great. Not sure if the 105 is to close to 85 though, either that or wait out on nikon doing a 135[emoji11]

Saw one go up on FB yesterday but ernt within the hour. Hopefully more will pop up.

Really thinking about shifting the 70-200 as i never use it, was looking at the siggy 135 but the reviews regarding AF are not great. Not sure if the 105 is to close to 85 though, either that or wait out on nikon doing a 135[emoji11]

I was speaking with the guy selling that before I bought mine. Looks a good option, great price too but I opted for a slightly older one as I knew the original owner.

Now then what 1.4 should I look for next :D

Here's a few from the shoot of the firls little boy - CC welcome
I like the pics and the bokeh etc, but they all look quite soft to me. Not sure if it's just the way they're rendering online?

Back