Nikon D750 & D780

Could I please have opinions on the fact the D750 only go's up to 4000th of a second, when it first came out I thought this was a deal breaker, but obviously it doesn't seem to put people off, I know in most situations you wouldn't use that speed however nice to know it's there, what are your thoughts please.

Not a problem at all Tel. Been in Greece all week and generally tops out at f2.2, which is
my normal go-to anyway.

Over the past two weeks I have regularly reached the 1/4000 limit - then switched from A to M to conteract. This is at f2 - 2.8
You must live in a bright place :eek:

Could I please have opinions on the fact the D750 only go's up to 4000th of a second, when it first came out I thought this was a deal breaker, but obviously it doesn't seem to put people off, I know in most situations you wouldn't use that speed however nice to know it's there, what are your thoughts please.

Just set it to ISO50

In need to shoot more. I think I might start taking the camera up the yard a bit more and start some sort of 'yard life' project as think it would make for a interesting set of images over the different seasons due to the people, the horses, the views and the wildlife etc.

Good idea maybe?

In need to shoot more. I think I might start taking the camera up the yard a bit more and start some sort of 'yard life' project as think it would make for a interesting set of images over the different seasons due to the people, the horses, the views and the wildlife etc.

Good idea maybe?
Definitely. Stick the pics in the Projects section. (y)

Anyone tried the 24-70 and 70-200 Tamron G2 lenses - the 70-200 is so much cheaper than the latest Nikon 70-200.

I noticed that the 'Fro' mentioned in his review that the finish of the 70-200 was easily scuffed and marked, but not sure how true that is (or if it matters!!).

Anyone tried the 24-70 and 70-200 Tamron G2 lenses - the 70-200 is so much cheaper than the latest Nikon 70-200.

I noticed that the 'Fro' mentioned in his review that the finish of the 70-200 was easily scuffed and marked, but not sure how true that is (or if it matters!!).
You mean the f2.8 versions? I've got both. They work; I have no desire to change but I'm not really a lens whore. Some folk reckon the performance is better than the Nikon equivalents with the the possible exception of focus speed and build quality. I haven't noticed any marks or scuffing. They're both big beasts, mind.

What else do you want to know?

This one was taken with the 70-200 at f2.8: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-764#post-7912746

Last edited:

I've got a 3 stop ND filter and a couple of step-up rings for emergencies.

I've never yet needed it.

Reactions: TG.
You mean the f2.8 versions? I've got both. They work; I have no desire to change but I'm not really a lens whore. Some folk reckon the performance is better than the Nikon equivalents with the the possible exception of focus speed and build quality. I haven't noticed any marks or scuffing. They're both big beasts, mind.

What else do you want to know?

This one was taken with the 70-200 at f2.8: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d750.557831/page-764#post-7912746

I was looking at the new Nikon one as there was one going 2nd hand at local camera shop but its gone and new is way out of range! More interested in the 70-200 to replace my F4 Nikon.

Focus speed and accuracy are most important things I need as might be doing some indoor equestrian work through the winter.

I was looking at the new Nikon one as there was one going 2nd hand at local camera shop but its gone and new is way out of range! More interested in the 70-200 to replace my F4 Nikon.

Focus speed and accuracy are most important things I need as might be doing some indoor equestrian work through the winter.

Accuracy.. never had an issue. I have more problems with the 85mm f1.8G.
Speed.. still blindingly quick in both cases, even in low light.
But... do you really need f2.8? Are you bumping up against the f4 limit?

Accuracy.. never had an issue. I have more problems with the 85mm f1.8G.
Speed.. still blindingly quick in both cases, even in low light.
But... do you really need f2.8? Are you bumping up against the f4 limit?

Not yet - but some of the arenas I will be going to you are quite dimly lit and if its overcast outside its even darker. Sort of church level darkness I guess.

Not yet - but some of the arenas I will be going to you are quite dimly lit and if its overcast outside its even darker. Sort of church level darkness I guess.

I'd have thought that f2.8 wouldn't be enough to get a whole horse in focus. My True DOF app says that at 135mm, f2.8 with subject at 10m you've got an acceptable DoF of 5cm.
Obviously 'acceptable' will vary according to what you're trying to do and other apps will give different ranges.

(for comparison f4 at 200mm with subject at 20m gives a DoF of 15cm)

I'd have thought that f2.8 wouldn't be enough to get a whole horse in focus. My True DOF app says that at 135mm, f2.8 with subject at 10m you've got an acceptable DoF of 5cm.
Obviously 'acceptable' will vary according to what you're trying to do and other apps will give different ranges.

(for comparison f4 at 200mm with subject at 20m gives a DoF of 15cm)
Are you sure?
D750 - 135mm @ f2.8 with a subject 10 meters away surely has more DOF than 5cm. I'd image it would be at least 60/70cm?

EDIT: photopills predicts you'd have 0.92m DOF

Last edited:
I took the 610 away with me on holiday to rack some miles on that instead of the 750. One thing I noticed which I find odd, is that occasionally the WB changes in preview during a series of shots in the same light? Good job I don't shoot jpeg, but odd given the two should be same in this respect?

There was one occasion in poor light where I wished I had the 750 to nail a tricky shot but it's a very capable camera, not as clean beyond 3200 ISO. Really was a snapshot holiday of the family so nothing spectacular to post.

Are you sure?
D750 - 135mm @ f2.8 with a subject 10 meters away surely has more DOF than 5cm. I'd image it would be at least 60/70cm?

EDIT: photopills predicts you'd have 0.92m DOF
You're quite right. I'd completely misread the app.

However.. I still reckon that f2.8 is probably a bit borderline. I should have just gone with my gut instinct rather than trying to get clever with sums.

We will be visiting the Peak District this bank holiday weekend. As always we planned the trip late with no accommodation inside the peak district. We will be staying in Chesterfield.

Can anyone recommend some of the best places to photograph and time of the day? Any suggestions on parking and walking is greatly appreciated. Any route recommendations for scenic drive will be a bonus for me.
How did you get on in Chez Vegas and the Peak District? Looking forward to seeing your pics (y)

I've rejoined the D750 club, after 8 weeks of not picking up my A7rii and lenses I decided it was far too much cash to have lying around, sold the lot and picked up a used D750 witrh the 24-120 f4 (which I'm not yet convinced of and might just swap for a 24-70), probably the best full-frame value at the moment and lets me see if I get the "bug" again without having £5-£6k of kit lying around not being used....

I've rejoined the D750 club, after 8 weeks of not picking up my A7rii and lenses I decided it was far too much cash to have lying around, sold the lot and picked up a used D750 witrh the 24-120 f4 (which I'm not yet convinced of and might just swap for a 24-70), probably the best full-frame value at the moment and lets me see if I get the "bug" again without having £5-£6k of kit lying around not being used....
The 24-120 is a good lens, I only swapped to the 24-70 for the better build when out in poor weather. The 24-120 is amazing for IR photography, no hotspots from what
I found.

I thought I'd replied to this but it seems to have vanished :confused:

Anyway, what don't you like about the 24-120mm? I've kept mine whilst two 24-70's have come and gone.

I have 'better' lenses but the old 28-300 is just so versatile

36149985694_d6062dfe89_c.jpg

I bought the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 on a rather expensive whim, not expecting to use it all that much. Now I wouldn't be without it.
Here's one from the other day..

Amie 17/1
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Lovely image Simon, was it taken with the newer G version or the older Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC ?

Last edited:
Owler Tor last night

DSC_4218-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Great shot!
I had been walking in Wolfscote Dale in the day,with the intention of heading to Owler Tor for sunset!
I underestimated the amount of time the walk would take and didn't get back to the car until about 7,I can't cover ground as quickly as I used to![emoji3]
I did do 12 miles though!
So didn't have time to drive anywhere for sunset!
I took a few hand held shots from the top of Biggin Dale just as the light was beginning to come good,but not with the D750.[emoji35]

Great shot!
I had been walking in Wolfscote Dale in the day,with the intention of heading to Owler Tor for sunset!
I underestimated the amount of time the walk would take and didn't get back to the car until about 7,I can't cover ground as quickly as I used to![emoji3]
I did do 12 miles though!
So didn't have time to drive anywhere for sunset!
I took a few hand held shots from the top of Biggin Dale just as the light was beginning to come good,but not with the D750.[emoji35]
Thanks. 12 mile hike is good going though (y)

Thanks. 12 mile hike is good going though (y)

Yea it's far enough!
Parked by the little pond just outside of Heathcote picked up Biggin Dale at the start,walked its full length and the back up Wolfscote Dale,through Beresford Dale into Hartington,then went back to where I'd parked the car across the top of the Dales.
I'd of made sunset if I hadn't spent so long sitting outside the Charles Cotton in Hartington![emoji3]
Id had my eye on the conditions all day thinking it could be good.
There's always next week!

Took these to share our special news :)

Announcement by Tim G, on Flickr

I'm going to be a big sister by Tim G, on Flickr

There was initially balloons involved but Amelia was terrified of them blowing away. Then we started in the back garden but the sun dipped below the dance line. So we dashed to some grass at the end of the road and had to catch the sun as it came between the houses opposite. The dandelion's just so happened to be there :D

There was initially balloons involved but Amelia was terrified of them blowing away. Then we started in the back garden but the sun dipped below the dance line. So we dashed to some grass at the end of the road and had to catch the sun as it came between the houses opposite. The dandelion's just so happened to be there :D
Love this B&W one.

Any ideas on this, Tamron 150-600mm f5, 6.3, strange thing is it's showing different. 20170903_143325_HDR.jpg
I've seen this before but with my tokina 100 F2.8 showing something like f4.

Any ideas on this, Tamron 150-600mm f5, 6.3, strange thing is it's showing different. View attachment 109799
I've seen this before but with my tokina 100 F2.8 showing something like f4.
I'm a bit confused by what the problem is. Isn't the 150-600 variable aperture so it changes from f5 at the short end to f6.3 at the long when you zoom in. I'm guessing your tokens 100mm f2.8 was a macro lens, the maximum aperture on a Marco lens depends on the focus distance so it wouldnt be f2.8 at macro focusing distances (if it was able to do f2.8 the DOF would be so shallow it would be unusable in macro distances).

I'm a bit confused by what the problem is. Isn't the 150-600 variable aperture so it changes from f5 at the short end to f6.3 at the long when you zoom in. I'm guessing your tokens 100mm f2.8 was a macro lens, the maximum aperture on a Marco lens depends on the focus distance so it wouldnt be f2.8 at macro focusing distances (if it was able to do f2.8 the DOF would be so shallow it would be unusable in macro distances).

Re the Tamron, yes you are right, I'm a real numpty, I don't read enough information on anything so that's my mistake. With the tokina, yes it's a 2.8 but aperture locked at f22 on the lens, it's just what I see in the top window on the d750. Maybe I'm being a numpty again. (there's a very good chance actually)

Lovely shots for a special occasion and congratulations!

Back