Nikon D750 & D780

This has probably already come up on here as I haven't scrolled through the 700 odd pages, but what are your thoughts about Nikon leaving an anti-alias filter in the D750 when they have taken out of the D810 and the D7XXX series of cropped framed cameras, it seemed a bit odd to me, I did read somewhere it was to do with the video capabilities of the camera they wanted to promote, but I have no real idea about that, I must admit after not long purchasing the D810 and using it I was blown away with the sharpness of it which I'm guessing has a lot to do with no filter, so why leave it on the D750 ? I was at some point going to look at getting the 750 but I am just worried I won't get the same image quality having now been spoilt by the 810.
I don't know the reason, but there obviously was one. I'd prefer not to have it though, and I would be very surprised if the replacement has one.

Reactions: TG.
I'd prefer not to have it though, and I would be very surprised if the replacement has one.

Is that because of the sharpness issue ? that's also what I am thinking that the replacement won't have one, however we will probably be looking at nearly 2k when that comes out, lol. How to find the image quality of the D750 ?

Fixable in LR? Any ideas what the Sigma 70-200 is like. Pretty mixed reviews I’m reading at present.
I'm sure it's fixable. I wasn't that impressed with the Sigma, AF was a bit slow. Night and day between this and the VRII. Colours weren't as nice either.

Is that because of the sharpness issue ? that's also what I am thinking that the replacement won't have one, however we will probably be looking at nearly 2k when that comes out, lol. How to find the image quality of the D750 ?
There's no sharpness 'issue' but obviously without an AA filter it would be sharper and less need for 'artificial' sharpening in post.

Image quality of the D750 is excellent. There's so many variable to know whether you'd see any difference vs the D810 after post.

Last edited:
70-200 f2.8 lenses. Which one?

V2 Nikon is a bit out of the budget so wondering about a V1 or the Tamron 70-200, not the latest recently released model. I do like the native Nikon lenses but wondering how good the V1 is against the Tammy?

Thoughts.
Nikon Rumours are reporting that a new Sigma 70-200 is being announced soon.

Fixable in LR? Any ideas what the Sigma 70-200 is like. Pretty mixed reviews I’m reading at present.

The V1 is a sweet lens. It’s obviously an older bodied lens so doesn’t have the same look as your 58 etc but it is brilliant for the price. You could easily club someone to death with its solid metal body. LR clears up any vignette but tbh I never noticed anything that was too OTT and usually just left it.

Cheers chaps. May look at a v1 as it’s a bit more affordable than the v2. Will have a good nose round at prices.

This has probably already come up on here as I haven't scrolled through the 700 odd pages, but what are your thoughts about Nikon leaving an anti-alias filter in the D750 when they have taken out of the D810 and the D7XXX series of cropped framed cameras, it seemed a bit odd to me, I did read somewhere it was to do with the video capabilities of the camera they wanted to promote, but I have no real idea about that, I must admit after not long purchasing the D810 and using it I was blown away with the sharpness of it which I'm guessing has a lot to do with no filter, so why leave it on the D750 ? I was at some point going to look at getting the 750 but I am just worried I won't get the same image quality having now been spoilt by the 810.
There's no AA filter in my Coolpix A and its 16mp images are 'sharper' than those from my D750. Which is why I prefer the D750 - it's pictures are less 'digital' looking, more film like.

V2 Nikon is a bit out of the budget so wondering about a V1 or the Tamron 70-200, not the latest recently released model. I do like the native Nikon lenses but wondering how good the V1 is against the Tammy?

Thoughts.
Sigma are rumoured to have a new 70-200 before the end of the year too...

There's no AA filter in my Coolpix A and its 16mp images are 'sharper' than those from my D750. Which is why I prefer the D750 - it's pictures are less 'digital' looking, more film like.
I would have thought that any sharpness gains through lack of aa filter would be negated by the fact you have to enlarge images from crop sensors, but I don't know which would have the larger impact.

It could be the lens though. The Nikon A is a prime lens specially designed to match the camera vs your less than perfect 28-300mm ;)

I would have thought that any sharpness gains through lack of aa filter would be negated by the fact you have to enlarge images from crop sensors, but I don't know which would have the larger impact.

It could be the lens though. The Nikon A is a prime lens specially designed to match the camera vs your less than perfect 28-300mm ;)

The Coolpix is 'sharper' than my primes and my 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8.

Not sure it beat the 14-24 before I got shut of it though. :p

There's something 'too clinical' about the Coolpix pictures to my eyes. I might start adding some negative clarity to them! :D

The Tamron 70-200 VC is very very good, you wouldn't be disappointed with the image quality of it, and it handles very well too.

There's something 'too clinical' about the Coolpix pictures to my eyes. I might start adding some negative clarity to them! :D
Interesting. Was this RAW or jpeg?

Interesting. Was this RAW or jpeg?
It's when looking at the raw files in LR. I seem to detect more fine detail in the files.

some from 70mm > 210mm would be awesome.

I really want a 70-200(ish) but dont have the funds... ~£60 i can afford :p
I know that feeling! Looking at vr1 Nikon’s but these are relatively OK, not the sharpest things out there but for the money offer a good bit of reach. This is the non d version but it seems to work well enough.

Here you go @markgodley - straight out of school... you wouldn't know what I've had to barter with for these couple of snaps :D

I'd probably use a monopod if I was using it for anything half decent as I don't do weighty long lenses in fairness, so they maybe a little shaky! Hopefully gives you some idea, for £40 odd quid which seems to be the going rate these days, it gives you a bit of reach when you need it though! But nowhere near as good as a 2.8 with VR.

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1000
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1001
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1002
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1003
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1005
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Sigma are rumoured to have a new 70-200 before the end of the year too...

Be an interesting one this. Their last 70-200 couldn't keep up with Nikon or Tamron.

They have nailed their prime lenses but zooms not so much. The new 24-70 art has not received rave reviews and the same with the 24-105.

You got a hint of a smile there! Nice! Really like the last two photos.

Almost, that or wind maybe :D Thanks, a bit rushed... a bit more time and I may have even nailed focus a bit better!

I guess she must take after her mother... :) the lens looks a bit of a bargain on the other hand.

Ha! I didn't realise you were acquainted with my better half :D

Thoughts.

What are you like?

The Tammy is solid for the money, that would be my pick if you can't stretch to a mk2

Here you go @markgodley - straight out of school... you wouldn't know what I've had to barter with for these couple of snaps :D

I'd probably use a monopod if I was using it for anything half decent as I don't do weighty long lenses in fairness, so they maybe a little shaky! Hopefully gives you some idea, for £40 odd quid which seems to be the going rate these days, it gives you a bit of reach when you need it though! But nowhere near as good as a 2.8 with VR.

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1000
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1001
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1002
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1003
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 Test-1005
by Dave Young, on Flickr
Wasn't expecting the lens to be as nice as that, bit of a bargain (y)

Hang on,have imissed something here,never tried one of them,whats the deal?which model?
Thanks

Hang on,have imissed something here,never tried one of them,whats the deal?which model?
Thanks
Coolpix? The Coolpix A was almost a grand when new, then got reduced to under £300 at one point (silver only) at which point I bought one. A fixed 18.5mm lens compact with the sensor out of one of the D7xxx models and no AA filter. It could have been a great camera if it had been better thought out - IMO.

Coolpix? The Coolpix A was almost a grand when new, then got reduced to under £300 at one point (silver only) at which point I bought one. A fixed 18.5mm lens compact with the sensor out of one of the D7xxx models and no AA filter. It could have been a great camera if it had been better thought out - IMO.
Still available on Amazon for £300 refurbished, shame it only has a wide angle lens, that makes no sense for a compact camera.

Still available on Amazon for £300 refurbished, shame it only has a wide angle lens, that makes no sense for a compact camera.
28mm equivalent seems to be the norm for fixed lens compacts.

@wibbly - thank you so much for that!

Are they straight out the camera or any post processing on them?

Just a bit of a tweak in Lightroom - nothing major. If you want a couple of raws to have a nose at ping me a note on here with your email and I’ll wetransfer you a couple over :)

28mm equivalent seems to be the norm for fixed lens compacts.
Apparently that's what the Japanese market prefers. It also just happens to be my favourite fixed focal length. :)

Bit wide for me, I’d really love a fixed 50mm compact for everyday use.
Fuji and Sony do 35mm but I've not seen a 50mm one. Fuji have a couple of attachable lens converter thingies that can make the X100 either a 28mm or 50mm but they're not cheap. They do say there's no loss of IQ but you're adding extra glass so not sure how true this is.

Back