Nikon D750 & D780

I signed up to some modeling sites yesterday. Is it me or does it feel a little weird browsing them?

Anyway, messaged one person stating i was looking for a model to shoot to build my portfolio solo or a couple shoot (if she had a partner). Got a prompt response stating she'd love to and want's to do a couple shoot, all booked in for early Nov - TFP too.

Getting nervous already, didn't expect such a quick response.
Signed up to modelling sites? What's that then, do you sign up as an amateur photographer and basically ask if you can take their photos?

Good stuff Mark, I've signed up in the past but never got much response to requests for TFP. :( Good luck with it, great experience.
Signed up to modelling sites? What's that then, do you sign up as an amateur photographer and basically ask if you can take their photos?
Yep, there's a few out there. PurplePort seem to be the biggest for my area (only a small town), but checkout ModelMayhem and PureStorm too.

I was open and honest with the model and said I've been doing photography for a few years and looking to expand my portfolio. Said to her i was looking at doing solo female shoots and couple shoots in a natural laid back sort of style with the aim of second shooting weddings later next year. Then linked her to my website and social media platforms so she could see my work. I didn't discuss rates or anything like that in the first message and honestly, i was willing to pay approx £30 for a couple of hours. Might seem steep, but i thought it was worth it starting out and not being that confident with posing people.

She then messaged me directly via my facebook page very interested. I asked for the rates and she advised that she just does it for fun and was happy with time for pictures, even suggested that she had a white dress she could use.

I'll post some pics when/if it happens.

Yep, there's a few out there. PurplePort seem to be the biggest for my area (only a small town), but checkout ModelMayhem and PureStorm too.

I was open and honest with the model and said I've been doing photography for a few years and looking to expand my portfolio. Said to her i was looking at doing solo female shoots and couple shoots in a natural laid back sort of style with the aim of second shooting weddings later next year. Then linked her to my website and social media platforms so she could see my work. I didn't discuss rates or anything like that in the first message and honestly, i was willing to pay approx £30 for a couple of hours. Might seem steep, but i thought it was worth it starting out and not being that confident with posing people.

She then messaged me directly via my facebook page very interested. I asked for the rates and she advised that she just does it for fun and was happy with time for pictures, even suggested that she had a white dress she could use.

I'll post some pics when/if it happens.
Sounds a bit like Tinder for photographers :LOL: You'll have to let me know how you get on and how it all works as I'd like to do stuff like this. If you ever want to do one and want to share the cost then give me a shout as you live fairly close to me don't you?

Do you have a link to your website?

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like Tinder for photographers :LOL: You'll have to let me know how you get on and how it all works as I'd like to do stuff like this. If you ever want to do one and want to share the cost then give me a shout as you live fairly close to me don't you?

Do you have a link to your website?
Haha, it does feel like your browsing a dating website.

Erm, i'm from North Lincolnshire (near Epworth) not sure how close that is to you? But yes, keen to do that.

My website is: http://www.mgphotographyuk.co.uk Although it's more of a place holder for work I want to do in the future so wedding and couple section are just place holder images - so don't be too critical :p

Haha, it does feel like your browsing a dating website.

Erm, i'm from North Lincolnshire (near Epworth) not sure how close that is to you? But yes, keen to do that.

My website is: http://www.mgphotographyuk.co.uk Although it's more of a place holder for work I want to do in the future so wedding and couple section are just place holder images - so don't be too critical :p
Dunno why but I always thought that area was still Yorkshire. Anyway not a million miles away, could even do a shoot at the YWP :LOL: Some really nice pics on your site. Is it a squarespace site?

Dunno why but I always thought that area was still Yorkshire. Anyway not a million miles away, could even do a shoot at the YWP :LOL: Some really nice pics on your site. Is it a squarespace site?
Where in yorkshire are you based?

Hahah, thought you'd had enough of the YWP by now :p

Nope, did the site myself. I'm a developer, so should really do it myself and not fork out cash

Where in yorkshire are you based?

Hahah, thought you'd had enough of the YWP by now :p

Nope, did the site myself. I'm a developer, so should really do it myself and not fork out cash
I'm Derbyshire actually, Chez Vegas ;)

Can never get enough of YWP, but hiring a model for there would certainly be a new angle :LOL:

I like the layout. I've just used a template as I have no idea about these things, but I keep toying with using another as mine's pretty boring.

I'm Derbyshire actually, Chez Vegas ;)

Can never get enough of YWP, but hiring a model for there would certainly be a new angle :LOL:

I like the layout. I've just used a template as I have no idea about these things, but I keep toying with using another as mine's pretty boring.
Doncaster could be a good central point then (y)

Last edited:
I had my annual day at a fishing convention yesterday. Naturally I took my D750. The only other two cameras I saw were also D750s! I stuck mine in auto ISO, WB and focus point, 1/250th and f3.2. I think I only selected the focus point once.

They're just snaps. I take a few pictures each year for the memories - and because none of us are getting any younger. :eek:

pac-29.jpg

pac-30.jpg

I had my annual day at a fishing convention yesterday. Naturally I took my D750. The only other two cameras I saw were also D750s! I stuck mine in auto ISO, WB and focus point, 1/250th and f3.2. I think I only selected the focus point once.

They're just snaps. I take a few pictures each year for the memories - and because none of us are getting any younger. :eek:

pac-29.jpg

pac-30.jpg

I haven't been for 4 years really since moving to where I am now. Bumped into a chap a couple of weeks ago and found myself joining a local club at long last. Went Friday night for a couple of hours and thoroughly enjoyed myself again. Hoping I can find some time to give it a regular go.

Nothing too exciting from me, but we are both very happy with how the young man is coming along. Only his 2nd venture out and he was a real superstar at a local Polework Clinic. Oh plus some pics of my friends big ginger beasty!

Polework Clinic 1 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Polework Clinic 2 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Polework Clinic 3 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Red by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Geezus, looks like @minnnt has changed a bit since giving up photography [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

A couple more images from the deer rut from me:

Bellowing Stag by -Rob'81-

Sunset call at the Abbey by -Rob'81-

It's been nice spending time on a local project, Im probably going to miss it once it's over in 2-3 weeks time. So far I've spent 22 hrs in the park walking many miles trying to find good encounters with the deer. Unfortunately it's very hit and miss so it's a case of many visits and time spent wandering to increase the chance of good encounters.

Last edited:
Had a wander round our local wood yesterday afternoon once it had stopped raining just to get a bit of fresh air with the D750. Oh boy, I'm really loving the 35mm 1.4, so pleased I bought it!

Had a wander round our local wood yesterday afternoon once it had stopped raining just to get a bit of fresh air with the D750. Oh boy, I'm really loving the 35mm 1.4, so pleased I bought it!

Nice processing too.

If I liked 35mm focal length I would probably be getting another ones of these!

Nice processing too.

If I liked 35mm focal length I would probably be getting another ones of these!

Cheers mate. (y) Took me a while to get use to 35mm focal length, but now I find it so much more flexible to use than 50mm which was always my favoured FL.

Cheers mate. (y) Took me a while to get use to 35mm focal length, but now I find it so much more flexible to use than 50mm which was always my favoured FL.

Its not the focal length as such, as I can see it's really versitle.

But I take a lot of pics around the yard and horses start too look odd at 35mm due to their proportions.

I just like the 50mm for its size and weight too.

But I take a lot of pics around the yard and horses start too look odd at 35mm due to their proportions.

I just like the 50mm for its size and weight too.

Just have to use what works eh?! Size and weight of the 50mm are definitely advantageous :D

Just have to use what works eh?! Size and weight of the 50mm are definitely advantageous :D

Yep this is true! I do need to get an 85mm too to complement my collection!!

Yep this is true! I do need to get an 85mm too to complement my collection!!

Ah yes, for sure. 85mm is such a flexible focal length. I have the 1.8 and it’s such a good lens, light, sharp and quick to focus.…still keep looking at 1.4’s though :eek::D

Good stuff Mark, I've signed up in the past but never got much response to requests for TFP. :( Good luck with it, great experience.

Unfortunately you also get time wasters at that end of the market. There's also more direction needed and so sometimes more counter productive in the end. Could be up for arranging a photoshoot though.

Hi all,
I`ve been up in the Alps again, departed Sat morning and returned Sun evening, 547 km in total.
We visited 3 Cols (Hill tops) in total and the 1st one had stonking view at 2863 metres but at that height there is not much vegetation so it looks a bit bland.
Heres a shot from the 3rd col we visited, just 2000 metres this time.
Grey cloud didnt help but when it did break it make for some special views, heres one I really like.

Centre light 2 by Graham, on Flickr

As always this and others are on my flickr.
Thanks

A couple more images from the deer rut from me:

Bellowing Stag by -Rob'81-

Sunset call at the Abbey by -Rob'81-

It's been nice spending time on a local project, Im probably going to miss it once it's over in 2-3 weeks time. So far I've spent 22 hrs in the park walking many miles trying to find good encounters with the deer. Unfortunately it's very hit and miss so it's a case of many visits and time spent wandering to increase the chance of good encounters.
Lovely shots of this beautiful animal, I really like that 1st shot although that 2nd shot is nicely placed with him in full chorus.
Yesterday while up in the Alps I could hear them alas but too far away and we didnt have time to walk 2-3 km to try find them.

Hi all,
I`ve been up in the Alps again, departed Sat morning and returned Sun evening, 547 km in total.
We visited 3 Cols (Hill tops) in total and the 1st one had stonking view at 2863 metres but at that height there is not much vegetation so it looks a bit bland.
Heres a shot from the 3rd col we visited, just 2000 metres this time.
Grey cloud didnt help but when it did break it make for some special views, heres one I really like.

Centre light 2 by Graham, on Flickr

As always this and others are on my flickr.
Thanks

At least with the grey cloud it stopped your wife being blinded from the sun reflecting off your big white bald head. :D

At least with the grey cloud it stopped your wife being blinded from the sun reflecting off your big white bald head. :D
Thanks (not)[emoji57] anything constructive about the photo?

I feel it doesn't have much impact on the screen .... but I suspect printed largish would be lovely.
Thanks eloise, I suspect it was the cloud cover causing this.

The problem is the time of day that you were there Graham.
OK so I wasn't there for sunrise or sunset but it wasn't full pm sun either. Thanks for the comment.

That’s when the best light is around. If you want great results you need to be there then. Obviously this isn’t always possible. There are so many variables, especially when dealing with mountains as the micro climate is completely different. The high cloud hasn’t done you any favours. The patch of light is nice but it may need processing differently to get the most out of it.

OK so I wasn't there for sunrise or sunset but it wasn't full pm sun either. Thanks for the comment.
I quite like it, it's got quite a pastel feel to it so it's soft/subtle rather than dramatic. What was the original like?

I quite like it, it's got quite a pastel feel to it so it's soft/subtle rather than dramatic. What was the original like?
Thanks for the comment.
Here is the original, Yes its a bit bland but if you wish have a play with it and see what you come up with.
3220 original by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for the comment.
Here is the original, Yes its a bit bland but if you wish have a play with it and see what you come up with.
3220 original by Graham, on Flickr
I personally don't think it's bland, I really like the tones. When I said original I meant the RAW as opposed to original size, or was this SOOC?

Back